You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Re: Smoking cessation

Furbush wrote:

You gotta start with higher nicotine, and flavors that you like... i was 2 packs a day. I started with 24mg juice...

and vape away... the nic doesn't absorb into your lungs the same way... for a few weeks, I vaped non stop. I cut down first... til I was at around 5 butts a day, then gave it a go, with proper juice/devices. A year later, I'm between 12mg/18mg, and I love it. I feel a million times better... Nicotine by itself is no more harmful than caffeine. I'm telling ya, I LOVE smoking. LOVE it. when people went outside to smoke a butt, I smoked 2. Ya just gotta commit, and dive into this shit, and it works.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Yeah, some unconstestable plusses on vaping include the complete lack of carbon monoxide (which I downplayed with active carbon filters) and, I take it, tar. Not to mention your factory-rolled cig contain hundreds of additives - combustion then serves to create new substances out of them. I rolled my own ciggies for years, additive-free, because I was into the nicotine and the tobacco itself, and not as much into the draconian ways of Phillip Morris.

It's no big secret that major tobacco companies boost their products to be more addictive, desirable and short-lasting. In brief, they wish to turn buyers into users, users into addicts. By selling a legalized drug, they make good money - the health issues of their customers are irrelevant. War on drugs should be fought against the vendoring of harmful "tobacco-like products", which includes your average pack of ciggies. This doesn't happen directly, because it's a global business and the tobacco companies can buy themselves out of next to anything.

Therefore, vaping certainly counts as a lesser of two evils, and thumbs up if it works for you. Me, I'd found that smoking wasn't pleasurable anymore, just something I did out of habit. So, I wanted out of nicotine, just because I felt it had ran its course with me and there was little point in keeping up with it. Having said all that, going cold turkey was tough. No matter how well you reason cessation out, the body will come around to inform you that the nicotine levels are dropping below normal. After some time of the body healing itself, which includes irritability, fatigue, coughing and sleep irregularity, one can start getting used to the cravings.

A new reason to keep going is the bitch of a road that has led thus far 16

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I fucking love smoking and yet.... don't. I, like the red head, just am NOT habitual. I don't know what to say. I cannot and will not pick up habits. The other day I was with a friend and fucking partying man, old school biblical shit. Jager bombs, gallons of rum n' coke, Bud Light, vikes, cocaine, and suddenly being i'm with "like minds", I smoked a half of pack of Little Cigars (my absolute fave, and stronger than fuck), with full inhale, which alot cannot handle. Fucking loved it, had a great time. And that was a fucking Thursday. HAH!

I smoked a half a pack, as a recreational smoker, loved it, and had no cravings next day. Never have. Do you have to do it for like months and years to get addicted to it? I love the nicotine, but I just don't crave them. I kinda do, but I crave the flavor, not the fix.

Am I weird, or just not advanced enough on tobacco?

Furbush wrote:

You gotta start with higher nicotine, and flavors that you like... i was 2 packs a day. I started with 24mg juice...

and vape away... the nic doesn't absorb into your lungs the same way... for a few weeks, I vaped non stop. I cut down first... til I was at around 5 butts a day, then gave it a go, with proper juice/devices. A year later, I'm between 12mg/18mg, and I love it. I feel a million times better... Nicotine by itself is no more harmful than caffeine. I'm telling ya, I LOVE smoking. LOVE it. when people went outside to smoke a butt, I smoked 2. Ya just gotta commit, and dive into this shit, and it works.

I've always been curious about e-cigs. I like the nicotine, and like the distraction of having something in my mouth (insert joke here). So how does one get into e cigs?

Furbush

Furbush wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I fucking love smoking and yet.... don't. I, like the red head, just am NOT habitual. I don't know what to say. I cannot and will not pick up habits. The other day I was with a friend and fucking partying man, old school biblical shit. Jager bombs, gallons of rum n' coke, Bud Light, vikes, cocaine, and suddenly being i'm with "like minds", I smoked a half of pack of Little Cigars (my absolute fave, and stronger than fuck), with full inhale, which alot cannot handle. Fucking loved it, had a great time. And that was a fucking Thursday. HAH!

I smoked a half a pack, as a recreational smoker, loved it, and had no cravings next day. Never have. Do you have to do it for like months and years to get addicted to it? I love the nicotine, but I just don't crave them. I kinda do, but I crave the flavor, not the fix.

Furbush wrote:

I've always been curious about e-cigs. I like the nicotine, and like the distraction of having something in my mouth (insert joke here). So how does one get into e cigs?

It's a rabbit hole... Best bet? Try http://www.reddit.com/r/Vaping101
http://i.imgur.com/wc76V.png

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL … B4b2u1htTQ

You can keep it simple, or turn it into a full blown hobby/addiction all unto itself.

I've been on both ends. I'm somewhere in the middle.. I have 3 higher end devices, and use rebuildable atomizers and shit. Find what works for you, man. A year later, and I'm glad I made the switch.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Not too weird, I've got a few friends who can switch off like that. But most I know used supplements to quit. Up in Scandinavia we got this thing called "snus", which is pretty much a mash of concentrated nicotine which you stuff under your lip. Most smokers don't really quit, they just start using that instead. I'd say maybe half the 20-40 year olds use it, possibly more.

Addicted? Not sure, probably a couple months. I've always loved cigarettes, loved the smell from when I was a child, and had an instant craving the first time I tried one. Hard to say when I got addicted since I pretty much smoked daily from that first try onwards. And the more the government wants me to quit, the more I want to continue doing it. I always try and do the opposite of what those guys recommend. 14

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Furbush wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Furbush wrote:

You can keep it simple, or turn it into a full blown hobby/addiction all unto itself.

I've been on both ends. I'm somewhere in the middle.. I have 3 higher end devices, and use rebuildable atomizers and shit. Find what works for you, man. A year later, and I'm glad I made the switch.

Just to try it out, I bought a starter pack of the blu E-cigs. Obviously they're the highest profiled, and really were the first off the line. Plus the black pipe, plus Miami neon blue end is kinda cool.

Tried it out for the first time this morning on the way to school for the nic boost, after an all fucking nighter work-wise (don't even ask, ugh, Law classes) and I gotta say it's one of the most odd/interesting experiences of my life. First off, I hope that the blu's are not representative of all vaping. There's not even close to the amount of tobacco flavor that there is in a cigarette, but especially say a Marlboro Red or my Little Cigars. On first try, I miss that big tobacco flavor. The nicotine is fine, but they're not all that flavorful tbh.

I was using the Classic Tobacco starter kit, although it's not a bad flavor, it's definitely not a regular cigarette. On the way home, I decided to stop into a gas station and see if they had any additional flavor packs. They did, and I picked by one of their Vivid Vanilla packs. As soon as I open these things, you can smell this delicious vanilla smell, almost like that delicious French Vanilla coffee taste that a good Cigar can have. My taste buds immediately perked up.

I take off the Classic Tobacco, and throw on the Vanilla. Now although it still isn't a strong tobacco flavor, these things were FAR MORE enjoyable, and tasty.

In the end though, I can't help but to again say... what's the point? Without the lack of a realistic tobacco flavor, which is why I like smoking, not so much the nicotine. You need something that closely resembles that, plus the interesting flavors. The weird thing, as someone who has smoked from regular fire, as well as the steam from a bong, e-cigs are neither. It tastes and feels like stage smoke, honestly. If you've ever inhaled stage smoke, it's almost identical, which leaves it weird.

I'm not downing it, it's just a first day. BUT, in the end what is the point without a real tobacco flavor? Exactly how I used them. In the morning, or in mixed company with poor sleep, stress, downing sedative drugs or too much booze... these e-cigs are a great way for an electronic, low-risk, easily chargable and renewable, cheaper way to have a completely odorless nicotine fix when you need them without the distraction or bad smell that turns people off.

Furbush

Furbush wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
Furbush wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Just to try it out, I bought a starter pack of the blu E-cigs. Obviously they're the highest profiled, and really were the first off the line. Plus the black pipe, plus Miami neon blue end is kinda cool.

Tried it out for the first time this morning on the way to school for the nic boost, after an all fucking nighter work-wise (don't even ask, ugh, Law classes) and I gotta say it's one of the most odd/interesting experiences of my life. First off, I hope that the blu's are not representative of all vaping. There's not even close to the amount of tobacco flavor that there is in a cigarette, but especially say a Marlboro Red or my Little Cigars. On first try, I miss that big tobacco flavor. The nicotine is fine, but they're not all that flavorful tbh.

I was using the Classic Tobacco starter kit, although it's not a bad flavor, it's definitely not a regular cigarette. On the way home, I decided to stop into a gas station and see if they had any additional flavor packs. They did, and I picked by one of their Vivid Vanilla packs. As soon as I open these things, you can smell this delicious vanilla smell, almost like that delicious French Vanilla coffee taste that a good Cigar can have. My taste buds immediately perked up.

I take off the Classic Tobacco, and throw on the Vanilla. Now although it still isn't a strong tobacco flavor, these things were FAR MORE enjoyable, and tasty.

In the end though, I can't help but to again say... what's the point? Without the lack of a realistic tobacco flavor, which is why I like smoking, not so much the nicotine. You need something that closely resembles that, plus the interesting flavors. The weird thing, as someone who has smoked from regular fire, as well as the steam from a bong, e-cigs are neither. It tastes and feels like stage smoke, honestly. If you've ever inhaled stage smoke, it's almost identical, which leaves it weird.

I'm not downing it, it's just a first day. BUT, in the end what is the point without a real tobacco flavor? Exactly how I used them. In the morning, or in mixed company with poor sleep, stress, downing sedative drugs or too much booze... these e-cigs are a great way for an electronic, low-risk, easily chargable and renewable, cheaper way to have a completely odorless nicotine fix when you need them without the distraction or bad smell that turns people off.

Blus didn't cut it for me.. neither did tobacco flavors..

Lately I've been on a tobacco flavor kick... but GOOD juices.. that taste like tobacco with other accents... Not necessarily like smoking a cigarette.

I found early on that the pre filled cartridge nonsense is for the birds. It may be a gateway.. but it is only that.

Drop a few bucks on a few things: http://www.youvape.com/Innokin-itaste-V … p_192.html

or if you can wait a few weeks: http://www.fasttech.com/products/1/1000 … -vw-800mah

or the big boy.. which I've been rockin' for over a year: http://www.fasttech.com/product/1390901 … oltage-apv

Those are great devices. adjustable, sexy, and reliable as fuck. The MVP is my JAM. It comes with a decent tank for juice as well. They charge via mini USB, and you can use 'em while they charge.

The VV doesn't.. So if you go with that... I suggest this:http://www.surevapes.com/Kanger-eVod-Bo … p_361.html

They're (evods) awesome to start out with.. plus.. after a week or two, the coil heads (the atomizer) will start to get kinda wonky, and you can purchase replacements: http://www.discountvapers.com/kanger-pr … -2-2-ohms/

Orrr.. They can be rebuilt. But that's a down the road, you ain't so new thing.

The replacement heads for the tanks that come with the MVP are here:http://www.smartvapes.com/product-p/icl … Click=3293

Now... Juice.

There are a million places to get juice.... the shit you see at convenience stores is homeless guy pubes compared to the juices stocked @ Giant Vapes. http://r.sloyalty.com/r/tnM0JRXs4xWp

But definitely look around... A good starter juice company is http://www.mtbakervapor.com/ They are priced nicely, and offer a staggering selection.
Look around the internet.. Specifically YouTube, for reviews... Keep in mind, taste is subjective. In fact.. Almost everything I learned about vaping came from YouTube, Utilize that shit.

With the right stuff.. This vaping shit works, man. And if you ever have any questions.. Lemme know. (This goes for all of you)

Blu may be the highest profile, but they're light years behind what's actually going on in the vape community.

JimBob
 Rep: 1 

JimBob wrote:

If you want to quit.. go cold turkey.   Just stop.  Refuse to let yourself smoke again.   It works.

Look up a guy on youtube named Joel Spitzer.   He has incredible insight to quitting smoking.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

To me, Spitzer makes a lot of sense in some ways. I particularly agree with his opinion on NRTs.

The same principle here applies to people who use NRT products. There are people who have quit this way. Again, it is a small percentage of the long-term ex-users out there, but they do exist. An individual who pulled it off this way will also feel that it is a great method for quitting. But again, this method works for a small percentage of people who try it and if you look into real world long-term quits you will have a very hard time finding many people who actually successfully got off nicotine this way.

I feel it necessary to use that phrase, "got off nicotine," as opposed to saying, "got off smoking." There are some major experts coming out and advocating that people should be given nicotine supplements forever to stay off of smoking. Can this work? Of course it can. If you can give people enough nicotine via supplements it will satisfy their need for nicotine. After all, this is the primary reason they were smoking at the end -- to feed a nicotine addiction. If the smoker can just get nicotine for the rest of his or her life via another route, he or she will avoid going through the three days of nicotine withdrawal.

The question needs to be, why should anyone have to pay what is likely to be tens of thousands of dollars to avoid a few days of withdrawal.? On top of this, these people will never be totally free of the moderate withdrawals that such usage is likely to keep going. These people will in fact tout the use of the product as a great aid, but when compared to what people who are totally nicotine free are experiencing, this victory over cigarettes is just a bit hollow.

http://www.joelspitzer.com/whyquit/joel … ly_way.htm

We got into the nastiness of the Pfizer NRT on the other page. To me, the whole notion of gradually cutting down your nicotine consumption just sounds like waste of time and money. It also makes for a nice self-deception, as I'm inclined to side with the Rat Park experiment on this one. Addictions are heightened and maintained by addicts' social constructs. Taking drugs in an orderly, clinical environment just doesn't have the same flair to it for a junkie - as amazing as it might sound. Smokers smoke muchly because they socialize with other smokers, all of whom share a vice, as well as the lack of a better way to spend their time.

NRTs dance around the issue by allowing quitters to take the nicotine in a passive way. There are indeed three days of wrath in store for any smoker, so they alleviate that and while doing so, keep the nicotine addiction going. In 3-6 months, most of the NRT crowd have lapsed and are smoking again full-time. For most of the withdrawal, the addiction has been brewing below the surface, given the continuous nicotine fix, and eventually, they just wander back into the rat park.

Personal experience says cold turkey yields good results. My goal is to put tobacco into a back seat in my life. That means ending habitual smoking and only smoking if and when I wish to do so for pleasure. Requires a good deal of restraint, but still, it beats beautifying tobacco as a forbidden fruit in the vein of 'one puff and you're gone again'. I'm out to prove myself I can take charge over my nicotine addiction and so far, so good. smile

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Furbush wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
Furbush wrote:

Blus didn't cut it for me.. neither did tobacco flavors..

Lately I've been on a tobacco flavor kick... but GOOD juices.. that taste like tobacco with other accents... Not necessarily like smoking a cigarette.

I found early on that the pre filled cartridge nonsense is for the birds. It may be a gateway.. but it is only that.

Drop a few bucks on a few things: http://www.youvape.com/Innokin-itaste-V … p_192.html

or if you can wait a few weeks: http://www.fasttech.com/products/1/1000 … -vw-800mah

or the big boy.. which I've been rockin' for over a year: http://www.fasttech.com/product/1390901 … oltage-apv

Those are great devices. adjustable, sexy, and reliable as fuck. The MVP is my JAM. It comes with a decent tank for juice as well. They charge via mini USB, and you can use 'em while they charge.

The VV doesn't.. So if you go with that... I suggest this:http://www.surevapes.com/Kanger-eVod-Bo … p_361.html

They're (evods) awesome to start out with.. plus.. after a week or two, the coil heads (the atomizer) will start to get kinda wonky, and you can purchase replacements: http://www.discountvapers.com/kanger-pr … -2-2-ohms/

Orrr.. They can be rebuilt. But that's a down the road, you ain't so new thing.

The replacement heads for the tanks that come with the MVP are here:http://www.smartvapes.com/product-p/icl … Click=3293

Now... Juice.

There are a million places to get juice.... the shit you see at convenience stores is homeless guy pubes compared to the juices stocked @ Giant Vapes. http://r.sloyalty.com/r/tnM0JRXs4xWp

But definitely look around... A good starter juice company is http://www.mtbakervapor.com/ They are priced nicely, and offer a staggering selection.
Look around the internet.. Specifically YouTube, for reviews... Keep in mind, taste is subjective. In fact.. Almost everything I learned about vaping came from YouTube, Utilize that shit.

With the right stuff.. This vaping shit works, man. And if you ever have any questions.. Lemme know. (This goes for all of you)

Blu may be the highest profile, but they're light years behind what's actually going on in the vape community.

Yeah I agree. I did the blu's a couple of times, and friggin' stopped. Not only are they weak as hell, but I kept tasting plastic and got physically ill after both times. Screw that. Like BLS said, all it did is make me want actual tobacco and before long I was sucking on fat cigars.

Thx for the advice, i'll look into it.

Board footer