You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: Se7en

Olorin wrote:

tumblr_m0y5lxwxtd1qf70axo1_1280.jpg

One of the best films of all time?

I remember being blown away that this wasnt a book before it was made into a film, just couldnt believe something so imaginative was an original screen play.

Any thoughts?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

An amazing movie

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Watched it last night, made me wonder after seeing the state of Victor, could you really look so fucked up after one year tied to the bed?

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

What's in the box?

Can't tell you how many times I've used that line. If there's a box in play, that's likely to come out of my mouth. Never gets old. To me at least. Watch out on Christmas.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Weren't they going to do a TV series to this at one time?

Or was that basically True Detective: Season 1?

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Great movie. I'll have to watch it again.  TBH tho, I think Fight Club is going to be Brad Pitt's 'Cool Hand Luke', his signature movie & role he's lastingly remembered for.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Definitely one of my all time faves. It's a travesty that Fincher didn't get an Oscar for this film.

AtariLegend wrote:

Been watching a lot of "House of Cards" recently with Spacey and a Fincher influence on Netflix, it's pretty good.

Se7en would've been in the year of the classical historically inaccurate Braveheart and fluff film Babe. It should have got a nomination at least.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Seven's great, and everything came together with it; a rising star in the form of Brad Pitt, the elderly statesman of nobility in the guise of Morgan Freeman, the debased and hungry director David Fincher... Pick something, it's all there. Andrew Kevin Walkers screenplay got turned down over a period of years by more executives than you could shake a stick at, and went through some major revisions, either to appease whatever the notes dictated or to streamline the quality story he knew he had. The climax was, at one point, set in a church, with a meek final battle, yes, battle, between the detectives and John Doe. Oh, and the church caught fire as they wrestled around. Someone apparently preferred such a conclusion to the one we got. Not Fincher, tho.

After the much-documented scrutiny and intervention Fincher had received from Fox while making Alien3, he had poise. Despite the press interest, he mostly kept his mouth shut. Other people involved from Sigourney Weaver down were eager to sympathize on his hands being repeatedly tied. He himself knew the best thing to do would be direct the hell out of his next feature. Then he read Seven and loved the ending. He called the reps and told them so. They gasped. "We sent you the wrong ending."

Fincher told them he'd only do it with this ending.

Board footer