You are not logged in. Please register or login.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

Re: METALLICA Discussion

smoke wrote:

As long as it's not Bob Rock... wink

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I bet was a fan of Black album before this.  Its hard to get your mind around that album if you were a huge fan of the Black Album.  Not as easy on the ears.

Actually dude, my first exposure to them for years was the Black album for many years, and then of course Load/Reload.

Then I went back and listened to Kill 'Em All. Instantly fell in love with it, and to this day it's remained my favorite Metallica album. After that Ride The Lightning.

But it didn't kill my love for all things Black. Black would be #3.

I have no real issue transitioning from their thrash days their AOR Metal sound they took on in the 90's.

I just always felt Puppets was severely overrated by diehard Metallica fans, in comparison to Kill 'Em All & Lightning. I think both are superior (not drastically), but I give them an edge.

Then I personally feel casual fans underate Justice. I still put Black over Justice, but I do feel Justice doesn't get the respect it deserves compared to Black, and frankly Puppets slightly.

But at the same time... Master of Puppets might be one of the greatest tracks they ever did. It ain't better than Seek & Destroy or For Whom The Bell Tolls, but it's pretty fucking crazy sick.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:

I hit upon RTL and Justice when I was 13, back in 89, that was it, hooked!!

In fact I listened to Justice the whole way through on my trip home from work tonight, and again thought about how a remaster / remix would sound.  I do love the dryness of the drumkit and guitars, but sometimes there is a boomy sound that comes through and seems unnecessary.

Orion though, that's where its at, gotta be my favourite Metallica track without a doubt. 

And here's an interesting take on it,

http://youtu.be/L0CsLefLisE

(not sure how to embed youtube....dammit).

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:

I'll add that when I heard The Black album I was sorely disappointed after Justice. I wanted more epic, winding riffs, not something so stripped down. After a couple of years I got over it.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Metallica are releasing another live DVD from the Death Magnetic tour.
I think this one has the best selection of songs, a lot from Death Magnetic in the set, which is cool, seeing as thats the album they were touring.

This will make a nice Christmas present for me I think!

metallicaquebecmagdvd.jpg
METALLICA: 'Quebec Magnetic' DVD, Blu-Ray Artwork Unveiled
METALLICA's official web site has been updated with the following message:

"About a month ago, we mentioned that we have a live DVD in the works to complete the 'Death Magnetic' experience and leaned on you to help us decide which songs would be on the main disc. As promised, we're back now with more details on that DVD, 'Quebec Magnetic' (!?!) which will find its way to your local retailer, online store, Metallica.com and favorite digital provider on December 10, 2012.

"This release is a first for us... yes, boys and girls, the DVD and Blu-ray will be come out on our very own label in North America! There are still some 'i's' being dotted and 't's' crossed, so we can't give you a name or fancy logo just yet, but we're pretty excited that for the first time we get to hold all the reins on a release from start to finish. Since we now get to call all the shots, the double DVD and single disc Blu-ray will be available for a price we thought was very METALLICA fan-friendly — suggested retail will be $15.98 for either format.

"Just in case you missed the first story, the DVD was shot by our long time cohort Wayne Isham, capturing the two 'World Magnetic' shows in Quebec City in the fall of 2009. You were kind enough to help us select the set list by voting here on this site, choosing the songs played in setlist number two as the main program. All the songs played at those two shows will be included on the DVD/Blu-ray. You can peruse the set list and, of course, check out the cover below."

"Quebec Magnetic" track listing:

01. That Was Just Your Life
02. The End Of The Line
03. The Four Horsemen
04. The Shortest Straw
05. One
06. Broken, Beat & Scarred
07. My Apocalypse
08. Sad But True
09. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
10. The Judas Kiss
11. The Day That Never Comes
12. Master Of Puppets
13. Battery
14. Nothing Else Matters
15. Enter Sandman
16. Killing Time
17. Whiplash
18. Seek & Destroy

Bonus songs:

19. For Whom The Bell Tolls
20. Holier Than Thou
21. Cyanide
22. Turn The Page
23. All Nightmare Long
24. Damage, Inc.
25. Breadfan
26. Phantom Lord

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

Metallica should really be the example bands look at to see how to treat their fans. Just ignore the "Napster" section. 16

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

In related news, saw this posted over on HTGTH.  Sounds pretty sweet to me.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ … l-20121130

Metallica Launch New Record Label
Metal band now owns all their master recordings

November 30, 2012 12:35 PM ET

Metallica has launched a new record label, Blackened Recordings in conjunction with the band taking ownership of all their master recordings, including music and videos, as part of a contract provision Metallica negotiated with Warner Bros. in 1994. The move means the end of the band's 28-year relationship with the label.

"It's always been about control for us as a band," drummer Lars Ulrich said in a statement. "Forming Blackened Recordings is the ultimate in independence, giving us 100 percent control and putting us in the driver's seat of our own creative destiny."

Metallica will release Quebec Magnetic, a live DVD taken from two 2009 World Magnetic shows in Quebec City, on December 10th. For more information, visit Metallica's website.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Metallica have debuted a new song, working title "The Lords of Summer" in Colombia over the weekend.

It seems to be keeping in style of where they left off on Death Magnetic.
It's a little bit long, and kinda disjointed in parts, but apparently it's still a work in progress, so there is definitely potential there.

I'm digging it! 9 9

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Metallica have debuted a new song, working title "The Lords of Summer" in Colombia over the weekend.

It seems to be keeping in style of where they left off on Death Magnetic.
It's a little bit long, and kinda disjointed in parts, but apparently it's still a work in progress, so there is definitely potential there.

I'm digging it! 9 9

Dude.. First listen, I was unimpressed... It's really growing on me fast.

LOVE this shit.

If Load had sex with Ride The Lightning. smile 9
Better quality for y'all:

Board footer