You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: Top 5 Reasons Axl is better than Scott

Saikin wrote:

(antiMusic) It is I, antiGuy! I have returned to inspire gigabytes of hate-mail! Did you miss me? I didn't think so. In all seriousness, I had planned to resurrect my old Top 5 lists next month in honor of antiMusic's 10th anniversary, but on Monday I read Scott Weiland's childish hissyfit and it opened the door to a topic that I've been wanting to cover for a long time; how Weiland doesn't measured up to Axl.
I, for one, was excited when I heard that Slash, Duff and Matt were teaming up for a new group. The first info out was that Josh Todd was to front the group. I had my reservations when I heard this because, while Todd has a powerful voice, he's not that dynamic of a singer. Apparently the group agreed and he was out of the running. Then a host of names were floated, included a longtime antiMusic favorite Kelly Shaefer, but ultimately the band made the surprising choice of Scott Weiland. I was a little shocked because of Weiland's troubles and explosive personality, but maybe they felt his voice was strong enough to overcome those shortcomings.

Then the moment of truth arrived and we finally heard what this new supergroup sounded like and to be honest, I was under-whelmed. I wasn't expecting Guns N' Roses Pt II, but what I heard didn't make the sale and after a few spins, the CD was placed on the disappointment shelf to gather dust. I gave them another chance with their second CD and that was even more disappointing. The songs were strong, but the vocals just didn't have the power needed to make them shine. Velvet Revolver's music style calls for a lot more than the underpowered "Layne Staley lite" style of Stone Temple Pilots.

I understand that a lot of people loved what Velvet Revolver had to offer. They heard something that I must have missed, but I'm sure that most would agree that VR hasn't come anywhere close to matching what Guns N' Roses did musically. I personally lay a lot of blame for that on the vocals. So for this Top 5 list, I look at the reasons why Axl is better than Weiland.

5: Attitude - Axl may have an attitude at times, but it's mostly because he is a perfectionist and doesn't want to give less than 100%, which can cause problems with bandmates, whereas Weiland has an attitude because he's an a....

4: Power - When the song calls for it, Axl can take it PAST 11, whereas Weiland tends to top out around 6 1/2.

3: Appreciation - Axl is pretty reclusive, but when he does go out in public, fans can approach him and he'll talk with them, take photos etc, whereas Weiland has been reported to tell fans that want autographs or photos that he "doesn't do eBay". Damn, I might have paid 50 cents for that autograph.

2: Quality - 'Appetite' is a classic that is still selling well today, whereas 'Core' etc are largely forgotten now that the Alice in Chain clone trend is over.

And the number one reason why Axl is better than Weiland...

Originality -Axl has a very unique and dynamic voice that is unmistakable, whereas we're heard Weiland's voice from a dozen bands and it's about as original as a Fox reality show.

http://www.antimusic.com/news/08/march/ … land.shtml

I don't want to start any fights, and that's not why i posted this.  I think it brings up some interesting points.  I don't think Scott is quite as bad as this guy seems to think, but all his points are valid i think.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Only one reason needs to be given....

Axl owns the stage he is on. Doesn't matter who else is onstage at the moment, or how many bands/artists performed before him that night. The stage is his, and his alone.

Saikin

Saikin wrote:
Gretchen Wieners wrote:

Axl owns the stage he is on. Doesn't matter who else is onstage at the moment, or how many bands/artists performed before him that night. The stage is his, and his alone.

That is so true. 

I read somewhere that when Linkin Park opened for STP, some kids were leaving after LP's set because they didn't care about STP.  No way that would ever happen with GNR on stage.  Axl could blow anyone else out of the water.  Having GNR open for you would be a very hard decision, because they would set a standard so high that there is no way they could possibly perform to that level. 

I read in "Reckless Road" that when GNR opened for Ted Nugent, Ted was pissed because GNR were playing too loud and getting the crowd too pumped up.  He knew there was no way he could match the band that just went on before him.

It would also suck for bands opening for GNR, because no matter who they are, there is no way the singer could perform to Axl's standard.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
Gretchen Wieners wrote:

Axl is the ONLY reason the band currently known as GNR exists.  Totally agree with your statement James.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Aerosmith was in the same boat Saikin when GnR opened for them...i have heard that GnR as an opening band were going out for encores on that tour in 1988 hmm

to me its not really any comparison...they are a totallly different style of singer from each other. It would be like comparing Bono to Phil Anselmo or something..even comparing Scott to Staley is way off base, i'm not sure what this journalist is trying to accomplish with this article but whatever it is i think he fell way short of the mark

STP had 22 Singles
"Sex Type Thing"
"Wicked Garden"
"Plush"
"Creep"
"Vasoline"
"Interstate Love Song"
"Big Empty"
"Pretty Penny"
"Dancing Days"
"Big Bang Baby"
"Lady Picture Show"
"Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart"
"Tumble In The Rough"
"Down"
"Sour Girl"
"Heaven & Hot Rods"
"No Way Out"
"Break on Through"
"Revolution"
"Hollywood Bitch"
"Days of the Week"
"All in the Suit That You Wear"

VR has had 8 to date
"Set Me Free"
"Slither"
"Fall to Pieces"
"Dirty Little Thing"
"Come on, Come in"
"She Builds Quick Machines"
"The Last Fight"
"Get Out the Door"

as a solo artist Weiland had
"Barbarella"
"Lady, Your Roof Brings Me Down"
"Mockingbird Girl"

GnR has had 20
"It's So Easy"
"Welcome to the Jungle"
"Sweet Child o' Mine"
"Patience"
"Paradise City"
"Nightrain"
"Knockin' on Heaven's Door"
"Civil War"
"You Could Be Mine"
"Live and Let Die"
"Don't Cry"
"Yesterdays"
"Pretty Tied Up"
"November Rain"
"Ain't It Fun"
"Sympathy for the Devil"
"Since I Don't Have You"
"Hair of the Dog"
"Estranged"
"Oh My God"

and i think that you would be pretty hard pressed to compare any one of these singles by one band to a single by another band axcept by personal preference IMO the majority of the songs i've listed above are pretty fucking good..but how does Plush stand up against Sweet Child? or how does OMG stand up against The Last Fight? How about Mockingbird Girl Vs Better? How can you even begin to draw parallels between the singers other that vocal power?

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Saikin

Saikin wrote:

Neemo, i just thought the article was interesting.

One of STP's biggest problem was their singles i feel.  A lot of those songs should never have been released as singles when there was so many better songs on the records. 

STP's albums, minus Core, were not single-driven, which is both a good and bad thing.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Saikin wrote:

Neemo, i just thought the article was interesting.

i guess....but to me the author is really reaching for an argument

Board footer