You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Time for the reunion

Axlin16 wrote:

Slash strikes me as a guy who truely doesn't know what he did wrong.... until you push him into a corner. I've known many people like him in my life, friends & family, and sadly my own father. I'm not one of those "placing my own problems on another situation"-guy, but come on, i've spent 20 years watching this war, and I see the behavior patterns of Axl & Slash... it's pretty similar. I predict their responses before they even make them.

Whether that makes me an expert or not, I dunno, but it's just my opinion.

For me, Slash is probably one of those self-centered, me first guys--who just doesn't realize he's that guy-BECAUSE HE'S SO "GO WITH THE FLOW".

I had to ALL CAPS that one because it really is very important. There are so many people I know that are passive, and because they are passive, they think they are selfless. Nope... not the same thing.

"Axl was a dicatator"

So fucking what? I've heard this excuse from Slash pretty much since Izzy said it. I haven't heard  one reason why "Axl being a dictator" was such a bad thing. When Axl came out and explained some of his behavior later on, it sounded like Axl was trying to do what he could to save the band (family). Can't fault him for that, especially if Slash was more interested in fucking off, shooting drugs, partying, and never taking responsibility.

Then when, in Axl's eyes, Slash causes all the friction, not by WHAT HE DID, but WHAT HE DIDN'T DO. How many women/wives have broken up with their man, because of their inaction/motivation, not because of an active act? NUMEROUS, and I think that's the case here.

Slash doesn't remember what he did to piss Axl off. And Axl can't give you a specific thing, because there's so much water under the bridge, specifically with Slash, that Axl could write a 500-page book of all the things Slash did that broke that friendship/bond.

To me, Axl's behavior is not that of a man who felt disrespected by an event, but that of a friend who felt disrespected by MANY events that seemed like little things at the time that amounted and amounted and amounted to the point of Axl just not talking to him. Even in Slash's auto-bio, he references moments when he'd do certain things or say certain things that, like Slash getting Axl a straight-jacket for his birthday, that Slash thought was funny, but it went all over Axl and Axl just eyeballed him, and refused to talk to him later, were obvious moments of Axl feeling Slash and his relationship had real problems, and Slash making a joke of it was just blowing off Axl's feelings. Then again, Axl is the same guy that Slash willingly let sleep on his grandmother's couch when he was flat broke, and when she tried to get him up in the middle of the day from an all-nighter, he told her to fuck off. So maybe Axl's the self-cented one?

Regardless, I agree with ID. I think Slash doesn't know how to answer that question, and it mainly lies in the fact that he passive aggressively just doesn't give a flying fuck. Slash cares about Slash, and Axl cares about Axl, but I always thought Axl HAD A REASON for feeling that way, dating all the way back to Indiana. Slash cares about Slash for the obvious reasons... he's a dick. Self-advancement, entitled, take your pick.

Even the way Slash describes himself in interviews and in his own auto-bio, like the moments with his mother & father, he comes across as oblivious as to how much damage his passive aggressive, obnoxious attitude does to the people around him.

Slash has carried around a Sammy Sosa, "Who Me?" personality for years.

Make no mistake, this is not an anti-Slash post, but more of a take, from an Axl-perspective, of why Axl seems to have such a specific hangup on Slash, and only Slash in comparison to almost everyone else he's worked with or been friends with.

From everything producers, associates, bandmembers, and most media people (when you think about it), Axl has pretty much been vindicated in 2014 as a jovial, generous, caring, funny man, with a striking normal persona, with many remarking how much he's NOT like his back-in-the-day-media/Slash/Izzy/Steven-portrayal.

Yet here we are, with Axl still pretty much letting it be known, whether formally or informally that the ball is in Slash's court, and everytime Slash gets cornered with an Axl question... he choses to re-open the scab every fucking time with the "dictator" comment, which i'm sure Axl reads, rolls his eyes, and is re-affirmed -- "Slash will never get it".

Meanwhile... Slash is on the other side going "yeah but I got a new album, and new songs, and everyone loves me". "I'm popular"...

Yeah, but at what cost? I say this with all the love in my heart, but Slash has always struck me as a one-sided person.

Lomax wrote:

I've missed your posts the last little bit Axlin. They are very insightful.

Axlin12 wrote:

There are so many people I know that are passive, and because they are passive, they think they are selfless. Nope... not the same thing.

That is a very good point. I think I've seen that a lot in people too. You ask them what they want to do for the day and they say: "Oh whatever man it's all good I'll go with the flow." so you bring them to some bar that they don't like and they say something like "Why did you bring me here? This place is totally shit.". I've always gotten that vibe from Slash. He "goes with the flow" but if the flow isn't exactly what he wants it to be he'll have a problem with that. If you're going to REALLY be passive and go with the flow commit and accept everything hat comes your way as fair game because you decided to open yourself to that. Don't bitch about it and blame other people.

Axlin12 wrote:

Even the way Slash describes himself in interviews and in his own auto-bio, like the moments with his mother & father, he comes across as oblivious as to how much damage his passive aggressive, obnoxious attitude does to the people around him.

Yeah. Reading that stuff just depressed me. The guy leaves a trail of destruction in his wake.

I think you've probably hit the nail on the head here. Axl is pro-active and Slash's misdeeds were probably sins of omission as opposed to outright attacks or sabotage .
Slash is laid back, too laid back, so laid back that Axl's philosophy of life probably seemed domineering and over-zealous to him.

I'm not trying to bash Slash here. I still love the guy. It's obvious that these 2 are not on the same page (and probably never were) and I think you've made a good case for why that is here Axlin.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think Slash does care what Axl thinks. And he wants to reconcile and perhaps he truly doesn't know what he did to Axl so he can correct it. Slash also reminds me of people who I've known, and probably as petty as it is, the habitual thief really grates on me. From stealing Marc Cantor's bike (Slash wasn't poor or needed to steal, he just did) to stealing Eddie Trunks special edition UFO box set not long ago and denying he did it... until Eddie forced him, very politely, to admit it. I don't understand it, I really don't. Marc Cantor said Slash is a liar, but not a bad guy, he just lies about everything, and that might be what the source of the feud is about.  And how he projects himself, and I wouldn't call it passive, I'd call it really arrogant (He knows who the fuck Tommy is, come on, don't be an asshole, he's talked about him before)... I just want more from Slash. I want to see the guy who played Hey Joe with Steve Winwood. Maybe that's Axl's problem, that it isn't one thing, it's a myriad of different shit... that you can't trust someone. I don't know. The whole relationship is weird.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Slash may lie about stupid shit, but when he says he is going to put out an album and tour the world, he does it.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Slash may lie about stupid shit, but when he says he is going to put out an album and tour the world, he does it.

Yeah, reading the detailed posts before yours, I can see valid points about Slash's shady character.
But at the end of the day, as fans of both Axl and Slash's music, isn't all we want is new music from them?

Slash gives us all that and then some, but Axl uses every excuse under the sun to NOT give us new music.
I don't know either Axl or Slash personally, and probably never will, so regardless of their so called "characters", all I want from both of them (if they can never work together again) is new music.

And I'm sorry, but until Axl changes his tune, Slash wins on that front.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I think Slash wanted to stay AFD rock n roll, Axl wanted to be more November Rain/Estranged..... Slash felt Axl was a dictator for this, Axl felt slash was taking over the band and not willing to push himself
happens all the time in many creative situations. funny part is.. They both are wrong..

Slash's albums sorely miss Axl, Axl's songs sorely miss Slash... It's very obvious. Myles sounds generic compared to Axl, GNR guitar sounds generic compared to Slash.

Fans are the real losers.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
-D- wrote:

This!!!

Yes it's selfish for us to wish that they could have sorted their differences out and got back together to make some more music.

But I look at Axl particularly post Guns, during this time in the main he  seems to have been fucken miserable (more often than not), or at the least still fighting the world like he was when he was in Guns.  Combined this with a distinct lack of any real progression from him makes me wonder what the whole point of the stupid feud was anyhow, at least from a musical point of view.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Maybe Axl simply didn't like having such a strong commanding member in the band.  Someone more beloved than him, kind of like Angus Young and AC/DC... Slash's popularity gave him a level of power.  Perhaps Axl didn't like that.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
Aussie wrote:
-D- wrote:

But I look at Axl particularly post Guns, during this time in the main he  seems to have been fucken miserable (more often than not), or at the least still fighting the world like he was when he was in Guns.  Combined this with a distinct lack of any real progression from him makes me wonder what the whole point of the stupid feud was anyhow, at least from a musical point of view.

Yeah, to me it seems like Axl is just tired. I think up to a point he fought really hard, on his own erratic ways, to keep the old band together. It didn't work.

Then he fought really hard to make the new band work. It also didn't work (up until the release of Chinese Democracy, it was never a band, just a revolving door of musicians and hangers-on).

So now, he seems to think he already "done all that he should", and is just tired of fighting.

I mean... Tell 80's Axl he'd be headlining Las Vegas residencies, being followed by (his word) his mom all over the world while touring and starring Budweiser ads...

Perhaps now, even Axl's version of the feud is starting to have the lines blurred. But he can look at it like "Well, I've been really hurt and invested all my strength into this for so long, I don't want to do all that again" regarding a reunion. You can see how really comfortable and happy he is around Izzy and Duff. Would he be that way around Slash? Don't think so.

Then, it's the same "I've fought enough" approach regarding the new band. He does have a stable band who, no matter what are their agenda, seem to have his back and are loyal to him and have been for the past 5 years, since Ashba joined, touring the world and just expecting to move forward.

Honestly I think Axl will stay on this limbo. He just retracts from fighting these days and as a fan I blame him for not having the energy but as a human being who have had a few bad experiences on trying to do the hard thing and getting burned, I totally get it.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Yeah, reading the detailed posts before yours, I can see valid points about Slash's shady character.
But at the end of the day, as fans of both Axl and Slash's music, isn't all we want is new music from them?

Slash gives us all that and then some, but Axl uses every excuse under the sun to NOT give us new music.
I don't know either Axl or Slash personally, and probably never will, so regardless of their so called "characters", all I want from both of them (if they can never work together again) is new music.

And I'm sorry, but until Axl changes his tune, Slash wins on that front.

Yeah, on the music releasing front, Slash wins. But I still don't believe, from everything we've heard, that Axl purposely didn't release music. I think he wanted to and still wants to. I brow beat Axl a lot for not releasing music, until I found out that UNI and Jimmy Iovine really sabotaged a lot of moments they could have released CD before 08... And that 2002 lineup could have dropped more music. That pisses me the fuck off and none of it is directed at Axl.

But I don't think Slash or Axl need each other. Slash is making the music Slash wants to do and none of it, imo, would fit Axl. And Axl is making the music he wants to make and none of it, sans TIL, would fit Slash.

They are making the music they want to make and don't need the other to do it. Seeing the Slash fans on here who love these solo albums, it's clear he has a fan base of the new music not just Slash INC.  Why should they be miserable?

Board footer