You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Time for the reunion

Smoking Guns wrote:

I stole this from a MyGNR thread..  a video from Gibbo's page.  I love this jam, watch the whole thing, great stuff

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

A great showcase of how much talent fuel was pulsing through Slash's veins in that era, but it also shows how completely on different sides of the fence Axl & Slash were in the direction & future of GN'R. I think Axl was far more interested in that time to go do a GN'R-Seattle/Zombie record and kind of move beyond Illusion (even though he claimed he wanted to do another Appetite, Slash claims otherwise and I believe Slash on that one), while Slash during that period was very open and clear that he didn't care for where rock had went by the mid-90s (even though ironically he collaborated with many of those artists years later).

Either way, the jam is great... if it's 1975. Still a classic little moment there.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I don't know if another Appetite was the right word, but I think it would have been less ambitious than UYI was his point, less glossy. I think he brought up an early Aerosmith feeling album.

Prostitute
This I Love
Fall To Pieces

Not exactly AFD, nor a Zombie/NIN/Grunge album.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
misterID wrote:

I don't know if another Appetite was the right word, but I think it would have been less ambitious than UYI was his point, less glossy. I think he brought up an early Aerosmith feeling album.

Prostitute
This I Love
Fall To Pieces

I think Slash brought Speed Parade to those 1996 two week sessions as well, and Marc Canter confirmed that was the early Guns demo Nightcrawler

Speed Parade musically is killer, would've loved to have heard it turned into a Guns track!

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Prostitute
This I Love
Fall To Pieces

This I Love was a left over from the old Guns. Axl was working that one up as a later addition post-UYI, and it was virtually proven as Axl diddy-ed it up on a November Rain piano solo, during a 1992 performance.

That's how old that song is, and alot of interviews from other band members pretty much said Axl was writing it then, and Axl referenced it as the heaviest thing he had ever wrote. To me, This I Love was his NR/Estranged for Stephanie Seymour, whereas the previous two were about Erin.

But Axl musically was not working in that direction back in 1992, nor are you considering that Axl had to personally thank Slash in the UYI liners because Axl met enormous resistance from Slash & Duff, neither of which wanted anything to do with November Rain or Estranged, two songs that arguably became GNR's most popular.

I think it's safe to assume that Axl considered This I Love a potential solo song at that point, or at least something that wouldn't see the light of day until Axl was allowed HIS album to make (which eventually became Chinese anyways, little did he know at the time).

So fast forward to 1995. Slash is completely balking at anything Axl wants to do with GN'R, including MTV Unplugged, Axl didn't want to support Spaghetti in 1994 (a return to their stripped down punk roots), and Slash presented a similar Appetite-styled album in the early parts of Five O'Clock Somewhere, Axl shitcanned it all, Slash walked, Axl reconsidered, but it was obviously something Axl wanted NO part of in no form, he was just considering it to keep the band together, and appease Slash.

You're also forgetting -- "My World" in 1991. An AXL-ONLY production, not approved by the band in advance, and something done and thrown on the album to appease Axl. Something that in 1991, was VERY much in the vein of Ministry, NIN, White Zombie, and even Rage Against The Machine, and parts of it was almost reminescent of early-Tripod/Music Bank-era Alice In Chains. All very Axl-type bands. Axl was also very supportive of Nirvana (pre-Kurt being a self-important, parodying douchebag), and an enormous fan of Soundgarden, which was a more experimental band at the time, before going mainstream with Superunknown.

I do think Axl was a fan of Robin and Bucket, even as far back then, and had kicked the tires on the idea of taking GN'R, even as early as 1991, in the direction of electronica rock, feeling it was the future of rock, WAY before anyone else did. I also feel Axl would've been more likely to have wanted to take GN'R in the direction of industrial rock, as opposed to grunge rock at the time. The irony of Duff being such a fan and a Seattle boy himself, Slash did interviews at the time really slamming grunge at a time that the LA rock & Seattle rock scenes were very divided in a "me vs. them" attitude, despite the fact both cities artists were churning out legendary Hall of Fame rock music.

In the end, I think HAD the band stayed together, and that 1995/96-GN'R album happened, I stand by my original stand that he compromise would've been a darker record with GN'R roots, stripped down in a grunge sensibility. My original statement was had that GN'R album happened, it would've been Brother Cane-rockers with Alice In Chains-Jar of Flies ballads.

I think that would've been that GN'R album. Then again... maybe i'm wrong. Still would've been bad ass either way, although I think Matt Sorum would've been the wrong drummer for that kind of album. Steven or even Josh Freese would've been far better suited.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Btw, Fall To Pieces is very much a grunge song. I don't say this because Weiland sang vocals on it (and shitty, cheesy vocals on it at that), but I could've easily seen Fall To Pieces structurally being a Stone Temple Pilots song, or even a Soundgarden B-side on Down On The Upside or Pearl Jam B-side on No Code.

So to me, listing that song kinda proves my point of them going in that direction at the time. I wonder if This I Love would've been more retooled without Axl's piano, and more in a Queensryche "Silent Lucidity"-direction in order to suit the tone of the album, with the piano-driven version by Axl being a bonus B-side.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Listening to the bonus disk from Slash's solo album.... Damn!  His playing was great for that album too. The song with Yoshi, Mother Maria, Baby Can't Drive, Paradise City, remix of  Beautiful Dangerous...  Great playing. Mother Maria is a great song. Solid disc....  Every Slash hardcore fan should listen.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I liked Mother Maria too.

I liked the music on the original solo album, I just don't like the singers (and their writing) that were chosen.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Maybe the wrong thread for this... But the songs I've heard so far from World On Fire, Kinda make me worry this is gonna be a "Libertad" Sophomore type effort..................

The 4 we've heard aren't close to You're A Lie, Standing In The Sun, Halo, and Anastasia...

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

We have heard 2 in good quality, 2 in poor quality.  13 more to go.

Board footer