You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

Re: Ron Visiting Israel For Benefit Show

jamester wrote:

GUNS N' ROSES, SALEM Members Prepare To Mark Holocaust Remembrance Day - Apr. 30, 2011
GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal will be a special guest at SALEM's May 6, 2011 concert at Reading 3 in Tel Aviv, Israel. The event will commemorate the re-release of SALEM's cult 1994 album "Kaddish" (originally released by Germany's Morbid Records), an LP which represents the band's personal dirge for the victims of the Holocaust during World War II.

"I'm a third-generation Holocaust survivor," SALEM's vocalist and leader Zeev Tannenbaum tells The Jersulam Post. "My father lost his whole family in the Shoah and escaped from Poland to Russia to Israel. I heard his stories all my childhood about what had occurred to his father and Kaddish was our desperate cry in memory of the horrors that happened to our families. By doing this album, we sent two important messages: We will never forget, and we are here to survive."

Speaking to The Jerusalem Post last week, Thal said that he was thrilled to be coming to Israel and to perform the songs on "Kaddish" with SALEM.

"My family is originally from Lithuania and Poland and my grandparents got out in the late 1920s, but many of their relatives were killed. We have no record at all what happened to them.

"Even though none of my immediate family was killed in the Holocaust, it's something that speaks to every Jew. If it's not the Holocaust, it's the trauma of the Six Day War, and if it's not that, it's the fucking Inquisition. We all feel the sense on a holiday when a family gets together that the gathering would have included seven times as many people if certain events hadn't happened. I think only Jews would understand that — only we get it."

Thal tells The Jersalem Post that he manages to find projects that inspire him and makes time for them despite his main commitment to GUNS N' ROSES.

"I definitely have more passion than time," he said with a laugh.

"And I have a bad habit of taking on more than I can do and killing myself to get it done. It's a tough juggling act and GUNS N' ROSES is a big ball to juggle. Sometimes, there's not a lot of prior notification of a tour coming together and I'll have to shift around everything else that I'm doing while dealing with the one big ball."

"But everything in life is doable, you figure out a way. If you want to accomplish something worthwhile, it's going to take some pain."

Read more from The Jersulam Post.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Ron's a good guy in what he does, I give him that.

The working class hero of Guns N' Roses.

Lomax wrote:

Politics aside, people are people, hope they all have a ball

//Hippy moment over

jamester

jamester wrote:

GUNS N' ROSES Guitarist BUMBLEFOOT Interviewed By Poland's 'Czwórka' Radio - May 2, 2011
GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal was recently interviewed via Skype by the Polish radio station Czwórka. You can now watch the chat below.

Thal will be a special guest at SALEM's May 6, 2011 concert at Reading 3 in Tel Aviv, Israel. The event will commemorate the re-release of SALEM's cult 1994 album "Kaddish" (originally released by Germany's Morbid Records), an LP which represents the band's personal dirge for the victims of the Holocaust during World War II.

Commented Thal, "['Kaddish'] is the most true-to-art doom metal album I've ever heard, completely capturing the horror of mankind's utmost vulnerability to evil and self-destruction. Being someone who lost family to the Nazis in Poland, this album tore straight to my soul."

Producer of the event, Yishai Swearts of Raven Music, stated: "Both my parents' roots are sadly in the massacre done by the Nazis. My grandfather at the age of 13 saw his family slaughtered and had to escape to the forests of Russia and live in subhuman terms for four years under the snow and bloodshed. He survived the horror, came to Israel and built a family where I was born.

"I feel that Ron's family's tragedy, my family's tragedy and SALEM members' family tree tragedy made it possible to unite and send a message of strength which is highly important and have a personal value for all of us.

"I am proud and glad to welcome Bumblefoot to be guest in the show and highly respect him for this important thing."

SALEM vocalist Zeev Tananboim added: "'Kaddish' is our desperate cry in memory of the horrors that happened to our families.

"The Holocaust followed me all my life as a dark shade which is so scary to look at. By doing this album we dared to look at the face of the horror and send two important messages: We will never forget, and we are here to survive.

"I highly respect Ron 'Bumblefoot' Thal as a musician and person. Though we live in different parts of the globe, we share the same loss, the same grief.

"Music was created to unite people's feelings.

"We are looking forward to this important show and special musical message with Ron."
[youtube]4i-Zq-S4Cf8&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

jamester

jamester wrote:

GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal was a special guest at SALEM's May 6, 2011 concert at Reading 3 in Tel Aviv, Israel. The event commemorated the re-release of SALEM's cult 1994 album "Kaddish" (originally released by Germany's Morbid Records), an LP which represents the band's personal dirge for the victims of the Holocaust during World War II.

Fan-filmed video footage of the performance can be viewed below.

[youtube]QLEt6siMXws&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

[youtube]452kvdEaD64&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

more vids @
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … mID=157846

johndivney wrote:

bump

AtariLegend wrote:
johndivney wrote:

disappointing
ideally I would prefer GnR & GnR members to abstain from playing concerts in Israel..

That's my opinion too.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

I always laugh when people bitch about Israel. Yes NALTAV that's ISRAEL not ISREAL.

Especially when they call it: the occupied territories. Guess what? Israel won a bunch of wars, and when you win you get to keep the land. Or you give it back eventually.

When you have Westerners in places like Canada, the United States, and they bitch about Israel. I wonder when they're going to give their land back to the Native Americans. Or when Hawaii is going to be set free. Because we're going down that occupied road right, everything should be fair game if you don't believe Israel has the right to exist.

The fact of the matter is the jewish people have been their for thousands of years and are one of the most persecuted groups in the world.

When Hamas, recognizes Israel maybe there will finally be peace in the Middle East. Now I am not saying killing innocent civilians is ok. But, launching rockets into a country isn't either and Israel is defending itself.

I can go down the list of countries that should give back their land, how about Turkey you know give back Cyprus they invaded to the Greeks. Then Turkey should give back the Holy Roman Empire back too. The United Kingdom better let the Irish have Northern Ireland back.

War isn't good.

Props for Ron playing this benefit show.

The question you have to ask yourself is, how many years does it become acceptable to have a piece of land before you know people forget about it?

As I can point out countless countries that should give back their occupied territories. Oh I forgot Italy, hey give back Rome to the Vatican, too.

When people recognize that Israel has a right to exist then peace can happen.

johndivney wrote:

your ignorance is preposterous & outrageous, but, sadly, not surprising.
& for someone keen on correcting spelling/grammar errors it's "there" not "their".

if you think the solution is as simple as Hamas recognising Israel's right to exist you've totally misread the situation. if you don't see it as an occupation then i don't know what to tell you. it's a baffling attitude of which the only explanation is rampant ignorance. what does the murder of a 12 year old girl have to do with a country's right to defend itself? preposterous.

& the original point i made in this thread, lest we forget,  is that rock stars should be boycotting. just before anyone starts saying to take it to PM's.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand away we go!

Board footer