You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Halloween 666: Producer's Cut finally getting released Sept. 23rd

Axlin16 wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:

Sweet! That's quite a deal. Glad they have the original composer and crew working on the re-release content. I watched a review of Halloween 6 and saw some footage of the original producer's cut. Got different thoughts and opinions from critics and fans on the matter. Glad it's finally getting it's due with a proper release and extra content. For the respect and memory of Donald Pleasance's final performance. I know Paul Rudd hated the theatrical cut too. I thought H20 was alright for the most part. Surprised they are including Zombie's films on here. I thought the first remake was ok. Second one was utter crap. Both Zombie's H2 and Resurrection (it's practically an unintentional bad comedy, that fucking ending!) are abominations!

As far as Zombie's films themselves... they have their problems. Definitely. But neither of them imo are awful. Even Halloween II-2009, which I absolutely ravaged here on Evo, has grown on me in some ways.

Halloween (2007)

--- I think the film works for the most part, but I prefer the T-cut just because of the damn rape scene in the D-cut. So cringe-worthy, so white trash, and so unnecessary. I far prefer the guard killing scene in the T-cut, and the shorter, tighter pace of the T-cut over the D-cut. A slash film should NEVER be over 2 hrs long, and Zombie's D-cut is. The entire film should've been the Smith's Grove stuff, with the sequel being the return to Haddonfield. Instead Myers new psychopathic, white trash story first half is too rushed, and the final act of the film of Haddonfield is condensing John Carpenter's 90-minute masterpiece down to barely 30 minutes long, and it shows. Especially when the great Malcolm McDowell is forced to recite old Donald Pleasence lines, rather than making the role his own. One thing about the D-cut I do like, is I preferred the D-cut ending to the T-cut ending, because Loomis lives in the D-cut, as opposed to his obvious death in the T-cut. Tyler Bates also deserves high props for his re-imagining of the Halloween I & II traditionalist/electronic-style soundtrack. It really sounds amazing. It's a fair film.

Halloween II (2009)

--- Initially I hated it. REALLY HATED IT. Like everyone else. But in hind-sight, I respect that Zombie went off with his H2, and tried to make it his own thing. 2009's Halloween II truly is Rob Zombie's pure vision for Halloween. I enjoyed the re-incorporation of more supernatural elements, like the family dreams, and the more spiritual face of Halloween that Myers came to be, roaming the corn fields of Illinois, waiting to return home to find his Angel. I enjoyed Tyler Bates returning to score, and thought Brad Dourif, Danielle Harris & Scout-Taylor Compton did amazing acting jobs, especially compared to their first go-round. What I HATED was the absolute raping of the Dr. Loomis character. Although Malcolm McDowell is a fantastic actor, Zombie destroyed the mythos of the Loomis character, then turned around and gave the Loomis lines all to Sheriff Brackett (Dourif). It was unnecessary, and very distracting from me. I also preferred again, the shorter, more concise T-cut, to Zombie's D-cut. I REALLY preferred Zombie's T-cut ending with the traditional Laurie's Theme playing over Laurie's final dream, as opposed to Zombie's D-cut which features the same scenes, but with a Nan Vernon cover of Nazareth's "Love Hurts". Didn't like it at all. Still, not a horrible film, but a fair film.

I really respect with Halloween II more now, that Zombie went off and tried to do his own thing with the franchise. For Zombie, 2009's Halloween II, is his "Halloween III". His little isolated mark on the franchise, and his H2 is VERY different from anything else the franchise has seen. And I totally respect that. Although I think they are both average-to-fair films, if I had to take one film with me, it was surprisingly be Zombie's H2.

As for the franchise, the only films I didn't like was Halloween 5, and the atrocious Halloween: Resurrection.

I truly feel that Halloween: Resurrection is the worst film in the franchise and the only film in the franchise I would call truly awful. Even the Jamie Lee cameo death scene is barely watchable.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Axlin12 wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:

Sweet! That's quite a deal. Glad they have the original composer and crew working on the re-release content. I watched a review of Halloween 6 and saw some footage of the original producer's cut. Got different thoughts and opinions from critics and fans on the matter. Glad it's finally getting it's due with a proper release and extra content. For the respect and memory of Donald Pleasance's final performance. I know Paul Rudd hated the theatrical cut too. I thought H20 was alright for the most part. Surprised they are including Zombie's films on here. I thought the first remake was ok. Second one was utter crap. Both Zombie's H2 and Resurrection (it's practically an unintentional bad comedy, that fucking ending!) are abominations!

As far as Zombie's films themselves... they have their problems. Definitely. But neither of them imo are awful. Even Halloween II-2009, which I absolutely ravaged here on Evo, has grown on me in some ways.

Halloween (2007)

--- I think the film works for the most part, but I prefer the T-cut just because of the damn rape scene in the D-cut. So cringe-worthy, so white trash, and so unnecessary. I far prefer the guard killing scene in the T-cut, and the shorter, tighter pace of the T-cut over the D-cut. A slash film should NEVER be over 2 hrs long, and Zombie's D-cut is. The entire film should've been the Smith's Grove stuff, with the sequel being the return to Haddonfield. Instead Myers new psychopathic, white trash story first half is too rushed, and the final act of the film of Haddonfield is condensing John Carpenter's 90-minute masterpiece down to barely 30 minutes long, and it shows. Especially when the great Malcolm McDowell is forced to recite old Donald Pleasence lines, rather than making the role his own. One thing about the D-cut I do like, is I preferred the D-cut ending to the T-cut ending, because Loomis lives in the D-cut, as opposed to his obvious death in the T-cut. Tyler Bates also deserves high props for his re-imagining of the Halloween I & II traditionalist/electronic-style soundtrack. It really sounds amazing. It's a fair film.

Halloween II (2009)

--- Initially I hated it. REALLY HATED IT. Like everyone else. But in hind-sight, I respect that Zombie went off with his H2, and tried to make it his own thing. 2009's Halloween II truly is Rob Zombie's pure vision for Halloween. I enjoyed the re-incorporation of more supernatural elements, like the family dreams, and the more spiritual face of Halloween that Myers came to be, roaming the corn fields of Illinois, waiting to return home to find his Angel. I enjoyed Tyler Bates returning to score, and thought Brad Dourif, Danielle Harris & Scout-Taylor Compton did amazing acting jobs, especially compared to their first go-round. What I HATED was the absolute raping of the Dr. Loomis character. Although Malcolm McDowell is a fantastic actor, Zombie destroyed the mythos of the Loomis character, then turned around and gave the Loomis lines all to Sheriff Brackett (Dourif). It was unnecessary, and very distracting from me. I also preferred again, the shorter, more concise T-cut, to Zombie's D-cut. I REALLY preferred Zombie's T-cut ending with the traditional Laurie's Theme playing over Laurie's final dream, as opposed to Zombie's D-cut which features the same scenes, but with a Nan Vernon cover of Nazareth's "Love Hurts". Didn't like it at all. Still, not a horrible film, but a fair film.

I really respect with Halloween II more now, that Zombie went off and tried to do his own thing with the franchise. For Zombie, 2009's Halloween II, is his "Halloween III". His little isolated mark on the franchise, and his H2 is VERY different from anything else the franchise has seen. And I totally respect that. Although I think they are both average-to-fair films, if I had to take one film with me, it was surprisingly be Zombie's H2.

As for the franchise, the only films I didn't like was Halloween 5, and the atrocious Halloween: Resurrection.

I truly feel that Halloween: Resurrection is the worst film in the franchise and the only film in the franchise I would call truly awful. Even the Jamie Lee cameo death scene is barely watchable.

9 That's awesome man! It's been kind of the opposite for me with the first remake growing on me a little more over time. While I respect Zombie's creative freedom on H2. What happened to Loomis's character in H2 was distasteful. McDowell deserved better material. I will agree with that. Yeah..the Love Hurts added cut was pretty lame.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I always considered this film to be an abomination but it's obviously time to give it one more chance.

Board footer