You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Ron leaving the band after Vegas?

-D- wrote:

Im not saying May's was perfect, but a decent solo like May's, won't ruin a song, but a bad one can.  I shudder at the thought, of Ron being in the band, during Estranged.

What attracted/attracts me to GNR, is Axl's vocals/Slash's guitar. Duff,Izzy Steven.. yeah but the Axl/Slash dynamic

Listen to that era GNR, and what makes it great, is Axl's passion/ferocity is met equally by Slash's and it just fuckin EXPLODES

When the song gets to the climax, U have Axl wailing like a banshee and Slash's guitar tone PERFECTLY right there soaring your emotions through the stratosphere.

My complaint with CD, the guitar solos at times are great, but they don't compliment Axl...  Like take everyone's favorite, TWAT.... The outro with Axl screaming "I would do anything for you" is amazing, but the guitar absolutely doesn't equal his intensity at that point..

Same with Catcher here... I FUCKING get goosebumps when it gets to that part Ron fucks up with guitar... Like an ordinary day................ If u had a bad ass melodic soaring guitar tone that matched Axl *SLASH" that shit would be all time great.

Instead, u get all time great Axl with above avg guitar and it fucks the whole emotion.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Slash was THE perfect guy for old guns. Like Bucket was perfect for Axl's new direction and was a great fit musically. So was Robin. Ron has his own style and there isn't that mesh with the new material... just going by his basic dismissal of CD II its not exactly a passion project. Axl screwed up by placing Ron on CD as a lead player and not just a rhythm player. He's very good at covering existing solos. His original stuff is what I have a problem with. I want to hear Bucket's SR solo and his solo on Going Down. It seems the only reason Ron is getting to redo these solos is because he's in the band, not because he's elvating the songs as a lead player. BUT... I absolutely love his contributions as a rhythm guitarist on CD.

fwiw, I love Catcher, but I never understood the love for May's solo. It was a bit underwhelming, imo.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

I don't get the demo love for Catcher. I actually like Ron's contribution and don't think May's solo was anything remarkable, certainly not to the point of people freaking out about it.

I'd rather have Ron replacing the solos of people who were never actually in the band vs. those who were (bucket).

Ron's solo sounds like a disjointed mess of notes... I don't really understand what people like about his version.

Brian May's solo actually sounds like it fits the tune, and I think keeping him on there would've been a nice guest appearance, much like the guest appearances of high profile rockers on the UYI albums.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I'm not saying I love Ron's solo (do like the outro work though). I just never understood why when the song came out, people were acting like Brian May had contributed some sort of masterpiece when I didn't think it was anything remarkable. People were acting like Axl overdubbed Slash's November Rain solo with fart noises.

Lomax wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

People were acting like Axl overdubbed Slash's November Rain solo with fart noises.

Best post ever.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Lomax wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

People were acting like Axl overdubbed Slash's November Rain solo with fart noises.

Best post ever.

That was gold!

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Have u heard the BS Ron does to it live at the end? Fart noises would be better.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

I can't understand all the Ron bashing here. Sure he's been whining about GN'R for years now. But this is only because he's the only one there with artistic integrity. He wants to create. The others are only there for the paycheck. Can you imagine how frustrating this can be for an artist to play other people's ancient songs in the same order day by day, when the band has big potential?
I also don't get the "he's the new Slash" stuff, like it would be something negative. Yeah, Slash used to bitch (more directly) about Axl and his (non-existant) working ethics. He'd been bitching for 2 years then quit. Interestingly enough, the same people who blame him for his "bitching" blame him for leaving the band. What should have he done? What should Ron do? They tried and try everything to get Axl, this (once) extremely talented man fulfill his potential. or at least create something new instead of ripping off the fans with the same old shit again and again. Unfortunately Axl has all the power and he's only using it for doing nothing. Such a shame. Really, what should Ron do? He should do the Robin? The "now I'm out, now I'm in, now I'm out again" scenario? Or the "I'm the Whacko Jacko of guitar, build me a chicken coop, oops I left just weeks before the new nostalgia tour" BH route?
Ron's more honest, sincere and has the best intentions of moving forward than anyone in the band since Slash N' Duff. There is a chance that Axl doesn't wanna record with his new band at all. I don't think it'd be a Ron-specific problem, since NOTHING's keeping him from making an album without whoever he wants. The problem is he doesn't wanna do anything, but living his high life. since it's extremely expensive, he needs to whore out once in every 1 or 2 years. That's the truth. He's totally lost it and what's even worse, he's become a sell-out. He's a sad parody of his former self. He's everything that he once fought against.

That's not a fair statement towards the rest of the band. DJ, Richard, Tommy, Dizzy & Chris... at least... have all made it clear MANY times over that they want to record new music... with this band... yesterday.

Which leans me back to Axl as the one holding it up. Just as the interview back in Vegas 2014 proved. Axl's plans for the future is CD II & CD: Redux.

That's it.

I don't think Axl has any plans for anything that isn't already recorded. Which Axl seems willing to let DJ touch, or Dizzy or Chris add synth pieces, but other than that acoustic version of Better... seems Ron doesn't get that call. Nor will he ever. And he's said that.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

I'm not saying I love Ron's solo (do like the outro work though). I just never understood why when the song came out, people were acting like Brian May had contributed some sort of masterpiece when I didn't think it was anything remarkable. People were acting like Axl overdubbed Slash's November Rain solo with fart noises.

Because Ron did overdub Catcher with fart noises... basically.

May's original was classic in a fucking bottle. As any 70's Queen tune. Which is how Axl wanted it, and he said as much during interviews.

May's Catcher isn't Bohemian Rhapsody, or Killer Queen, or his Bijou solo or anything... I get that... but Ron added literally NOTHING. It took a Queen B-side, that could've been a Guns A-side, and turned it into a fucking Skid Row 2000 song.

Is it listenable, yes. If you had never heard the demo, yeah it's decent (I would prefer the live cut on Appetite For Democracy), but the demo was vastly better. Period.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Ron would have been a better replacement for Robin than Bucket, imo. Then again, I don't think Ron could contribute anything remotely emotionally raw in his playing that the Finckster did for TIL, Better or There Was A Time.

Board footer