You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: First Internet murder expected by the end of the year

polluxlm wrote:

Governments are ill-prepared to combat the looming threat of "online murder" as cyber criminals exploit internet technology to target victims, the European policing agency warned. In its most alarming assessment of the physical danger posed by online crime, Europol said it expected a rise in "injury and possible deaths" caused by computer attacks on critical safety equipment.

Police forensic techniques need to "adapt and grow" to address the dangers posed by the so-called "Internet of Everything" – a new era of technological interconnectedness in which everything from garage doors to hospital health systems will be linked and controlled through computer networks.

The concept is behind the likely development of smart homes, cars and even cities, but police warned that the failure to protect devices properly could see them open to being hacked by outsiders to make money or to attack opponents.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style … 74955.html

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Actually pretty scary when you think about it. If you live in a smart house someone could hack in and start a fire, if you're driving a car they could run you off the road. Obviously this is still a bit in the future, but as more and more things get networked the possibilities for exploitation increases. The owner of Silk Road was charged recently for ordering a hit man on the Deep Web to kill a witness, and that's just using the anonymous web to arrange a contract and payment.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

As scary as that is, I'm predicting there is going to be an imminent backlash against our online lives. Obviously our security is greatly compromised. I've grown up with technology, but have already abandoned Facebook and don't use Twitter. My only social profile is on LinkedIn.

I think the next great technology innovations are going to come in privacy. I think deep-web like privileges should be allowed to the masses. Anonymity is an important way to combat cyber-crime.

One may counter anonymity by saying that it leads to increases of cyber crime in the black market (you mentioned Silk Road, which is a marketplace for drugs, weapons, hits, etc.). Do you really think shutting down the Silk Road is going to get rid of drugs? I would wager to say that <1% of drug trafficking is done online.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

As scary as that is, I'm predicting there is going to be an imminent backlash against our online lives. Obviously our security is greatly compromised. I've grown up with technology, but have already abandoned Facebook and don't use Twitter. My only social profile is on LinkedIn.

I think the next great technology innovations are going to come in privacy. I think deep-web like privileges should be allowed to the masses. Anonymity is an important way to combat cyber-crime.

One may counter anonymity by saying that it leads to increases of cyber crime in the black market (you mentioned Silk Road, which is a marketplace for drugs, weapons, hits, etc.). Do you really think shutting down the Silk Road is going to get rid of drugs? I would wager to say that <1% of drug trafficking is done online.

Deep web is already accessible to the masses though. You don't even need to be tech savvy, just dl Tor.

Not only will shutting down Silk Road not get rid of drugs, you won't even get rid of Silk Road (new sites popped up within days of it closing). It's also worth noting that SR didn't get shut down because of security issues, but because the owner exposed himself in other ways (giving personal info which can be tracked, ordering a damn hit on that site even I knew was a FBI setup).

But you bring up an important point in that as Internet theft and crime increases, there will open up huge markets when it comes to anonymity. Tor, bitcoins, proxies etc. These things are already common place in heavily cencored places like China, and as the government crackdown on free speech continues in the west we are likely to follow. Unfortunately the victims here will be all those people who are not tech savvy, who do not realize the dangers, who just go on living their lives in the hope that the Gov "got it covered".

johndivney wrote:

We'll all be dead of Ebola before this happens. So don't worry.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Hah, you wish! This is like the fifth pandemic that will kill us all just in my life time. Let's say I'm not worrying too much.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Deep web is already accessible to the masses though. You don't even need to be tech savvy, just dl Tor.

Not only will shutting down Silk Road not get rid of drugs, you won't even get rid of Silk Road (new sites popped up within days of it closing). It's also worth noting that SR didn't get shut down because of security issues, but because the owner exposed himself in other ways (giving personal info which can be tracked, ordering a damn hit on that site even I knew was a FBI setup).

But you bring up an important point in that as Internet theft and crime increases, there will open up huge markets when it comes to anonymity. Tor, bitcoins, proxies etc. These things are already common place in heavily cencored places like China, and as the government crackdown on free speech continues in the west we are likely to follow. Unfortunately the victims here will be all those people who are not tech savvy, who do not realize the dangers, who just go on living their lives in the hope that the Gov "got it covered".

Yes I'm aware of Tor and other software that keeps you anonymous online, but generally speaking, the greater public do not know or don't care. Or, they are afraid that if they use Tor, people will think they are pedophiles. There is very much a stigma associated with deep web/anonymity.

Lomax wrote:

Boring fear-mongering

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I agree that there will be an eventual backlash, especially Facebook(or Twitter). I predicted a few years back that Facebook will suffer the same fate as Myspace. Everyone disagreed and said Facebook is here to stay, everyone uses it, blah blah blah. Those same people said the same thing about myspace in 2006.

Having said that, literally everything in the world is somehow connected to the internet so any backlash will be limited in scope.

LIke it or not, the internet is here to stay in some format.

Lomax wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I agree that there will be an eventual backlash, especially Facebook(or Twitter). I predicted a few years back that Facebook will suffer the same fate as Myspace. Everyone disagreed and said Facebook is here to stay, everyone uses it, blah blah blah. Those same people said the same thing about myspace in 2006.

I think you're right.
They're bigger companies than myspace ever was so the brand will survie somehow surely, but social networks are attracting a lot of negative press these days.
I don't think they'll last much longer.

Board footer