You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Soundgarden release new song 'Storm'

James wrote:

Soundgarden 'Storm' Back With First New Song in Two Years

The shrieking, spooky track arrives just in time for Halloween

After making an appearance at Neil Young's annual Bridge School Benefit this weekend, Soundgarden quietly dropped a new single last night. The track is called "Storm," and according to Stereogum, it's their first new song since 2012's reunion project, King Animal.

The shrieking, anxiety-laden track arrives just in time for Halloween, with Chris Cornell drawling methodically on the disheartening opening lyrics: "The storm has weakened minds of steel." No word yet on whether "Storm" will appear on a new Soundgarden album yet, but stream it below now.

http://www.spin.com/articles/stream-sto … -new-song/

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Not what I was expecting. Different vibe but I kinds dig it. Liking the low vocals.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Good song to tide us over for the holy grail(the rarities box set). I was starting to worry they were on the verge of a GNR style limbo. Touring with nothing else. They decided to unload the vault next month and I am salivating. Vault should have been emptied right after the reunion but I guess they wanted to build anticipation for the new songs and then finally the comeback album King Animal. Like many SG fans, I was worrying that it was all over but nostalgia tours from here on out. Thank God we were wrong.

Fans finally get to hear Kristi. Will be worth the price of the box set. The unfortunate thing is they are still leaving out some key mythical tracks(Summation the most notable) but I have a feeling they are gonna rework the missing tracks for a potential next album. Really no reason to leave them out unless they plan to use them on a future release.

Track list of the coming vault....

On November 24th Soundgarden releases their long-awaited 3-CD rarities collection, Echo Of Miles: Scattered Tracks Across The Path.

Among the set’s seven unreleased tracks is a brand-new recording, “Storm,” recorded in May this year with producer Jack Endino in Seattle.

Taking in everything from original B-sides to unreleased tracks, instrumentals, covers and demos, the collection was curated and hand-selected by guitarist Kim Thayil, who says:

“As album sets go, this one has been fun to collect and compile over the decades. I personally may have referenced this project a number of times over the years, going back almost twenty of them to the mid-nineties!”

For the first time, Echo Of Miles collects and curates all these “scattered tracks across the path”, offering a different slant on the 26- year history and evolution of one of alternative rock’s finest bands.

The package has once again been beautifully designed by Josh Graham. The set features three separate thematic discs in a clear plastic slipcase with three separate mini-jackets, each sporting its own unique art, a booklet and inserts, allowing you to mix and match your own album graphic layout.

Disc 1, dubbed “ORIGINALS,” is filled with Soundgarden-written songs, mainly B-sides in addition to two unreleased songs, “Kristi” and “Storm.”

Disc 2, “COVERS,” offers a stellar showcase of songs written by bands that Soundgarden love and admire, from The Beatles, the Rolling Stones, The Doors to The Stooges, the Ramones and DEVO.

Disc 3, “ODDITIES,” offers instrumentals, remixes and demos, including Steve Fisk’s unreleased “The Telephantasm (Resurrection Remix)”, “Twin Tower,” penned by Matt Cameron, which was originally recorded at Seattle’s London Bridge studio in December 1988 during the sessions for Louder Than Love, and “Night Surf”, an instrumental performed by bassist Ben Shepherd.

TRACK LISTING

CD 1 – Originals

1. Sub Pop Rock City

2. Toy Box

3. Heretic

4. Fresh Deadly Roses

5. HIV Baby

6. Cold Bitch

7. Show Me

8. She’s A Politician

9. Birth Ritual

10. She Likes Surprises

11. Kyle Petty, Son of Richard

12. Exit Stonehenge

13. Blind Dogs

14. Bleed Together

15. Black Rain

16. Live To Rise

17. Kristi*

18. Storm*

CD 2 – Covers

1. Swallow My Pride

2. Smokestack Lightnin’

3. Everybody’s Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey (John Peel BBC Sessions)*

4. Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin) (John Peel BBC Sessions)*

5. Come Together

6. Stray Cat Blues

7. Into The Void (Sealth)

8. Girl U Want

9. Touch Me

10. Can You See Me? (Friday Rock Show BBC Sessions)

11. Homicidal Suicidal (Friday Rock Show BBC Sessions)

12. I Can’t Give You Anything (Friday Rock Show BBC Sessions)

13. I Don’t Care About You (Friday Rock Show BBC Sessions)

14. Waiting For The Sun (Live)

15. Search And Destroy (Live)

16. Big Bottom (Live)

17. Earache My Eye (Live)

CD 3 – Oddities

1. Twin Tower*

2. Jerry Garcia’s Finger

3. Ghostmotorfinger

4. Night Surf*

5. A Splice Of Space Jam

6. The Telephantasm

7. Black Days III

8. Karaoke

9. Fopp (Fucked Up Heavy Dub Mix)

10. Big Dumb Sex (Dub Version)

11. Spoonman (Steve Fisk Remix)

12. Rhinosaur (The Straw That Broke The Rhino’s Back Remix)

13. Dusty (Moby Remix)

14. The Telephantasm (Steve Fisk 2014 Remix)*

15. One Minute Of Silence

-------------------------

Axl needs to unload the CD vault sooner rather than later because the amount of people who care about 21st century GNR is dwindling fast.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I don't follow rock music news well enough anymore and didn't even know they were putting out the vault. That will definitely be interesting - I hope people here who listen to it will share their thoughts. Not sure if it's something I'd spend the money on or not.

As for the new stuff, I feel like I'm always ultimately disappointed in new music by older, reunited rock bands. Most of them are past their creative prime at the time of their break up anyway. I can usually get excited enough to enjoy those albums when they first come out - be it Alice in Chains or Blind Melon (still a fan!) or even Chinese Democracy - but they rarely stick with me. I'm trying to keep my expectations in check for Faith No More's album next year. I'll have a similar mindset for new Soundgarden music - if there's one or two songs I like, I'll call it a success. It's hard to recapture that former glory.

'Storm' doesn't do much for me on first listen, but I always appreciate the chance to listen to Matt Cameron drum so I won't complain.

Agreed about the CD vault. I  stopped paying any attention to GNR years ago but still want that.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Sounds very Eddie Vedderish on new track.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

After making an appearance at Neil Young's annual Bridge School Benefit this weekend, Soundgarden quietly dropped a new single last night. The track is called "Storm," and according to Stereogum, it's their first new song since 2012's reunion project, King Animal.

The shrieking, anxiety-laden track arrives just in time for Halloween, with Chris Cornell drawling methodically on the disheartening opening lyrics: "The storm has weakened minds of steel." No word yet on whether "Storm" will appear on a new Soundgarden album yet, but stream it below now.

Have you heard Kristi yet?  I remember you turning me on to it back in the day.  Hearing it today made me remember that horrible quality live version I have sitting around on the hard drive somewhere.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
Saikin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Have you heard Kristi yet?  I remember you turning me on to it back in the day.  Hearing it today made me remember that horrible quality live version I have sitting around on the hard drive somewhere.

Good to see you around these parts man. Hope all is well dude!

Board footer