You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: Super Bowl 49

mitchejw wrote:

I think the patriots will be pardoned because it's in the best interest of the NFL to put this behind them.

If I'm completely honest...I don't care about the ever so slightly deflated balls. I just wish that they didn't feel that they had to bend/break rules when they are already arguably the best franchise of my life time.

For the record....I don't criticize the Hawks for the play call either. You should pass when a team is in goal line D and the O has three wide outs.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

What... in... the... fuck... was Pete Carroll thinking?

EPIC FAIL of the year 2015

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

He was thinking it was a safe play that was there. However, that Butler made a HELL OF A PLAY. That was amazing. Great game.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I think the patriots will be pardoned because it's in the best interest of the NFL to put this behind them.

If I'm completely honest...I don't care about the ever so slightly deflated balls. I just wish that they didn't feel that they had to bend/break rules when they are already arguably the best franchise of my life time.

We still don't know what actually happened. Yet most people jump to the conclusion that they intentionally cheated. That's one possibility, among a host of others. That's the problem. This whole, "guilty until proven innocent" mantra the media is pushing on everyone. What about the latest reports that the Colts may have tampered with the ONE ball that was under inflated? The ONE ball they had possession of. Does that report not support people's agenda to prove the Patriots are cheaters? Anything less than a conviction won't be acceptable? That's what it seems like to me. The public has already made up their minds, due to "false" information they have been fed. There's no turning back now, regardless of what happens. Doesn't seem right to me.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I couldn't disagree with you anymore. Can't we chalk it up to the amazing coaching staff and the level of preparedness that that particular player had to be in that spot at that time? The only way that play ends in an interception is if the defender knows exactly what the play is before the play begins. The only way that that player knows that is that they are properly prepared by coaches.

Beyond all of that, if you still think it's wise to call a run play when the defense is in goal line formation and they have at least five huge bodies on the defensive line then I don't think you understand football very well. In addition to that, Seattle put out three wide receivers which means at least one WR will be covered by a linebacker. That's a massive miss match that Seattle should have been able to take advantage of.  That being said, with them only been 1 yard away from the goal line I would probably have called a run in that situation, but I'm sitting on my couch watching the Super Bowl from 1000 miles away. No one is asking me my opinion.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
faldor wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

We still don't know what actually happened. Yet most people jump to the conclusion that they intentionally cheated. That's one possibility, among a host of others. That's the problem. This whole, "guilty until proven innocent" mantra the media is pushing on everyone. What about the latest reports that the Colts may have tampered with the ONE ball that was under inflated? The ONE ball they had possession of. Does that report not support people's agenda to prove the Patriots are cheaters? Anything less than a conviction won't be acceptable? That's what it seems like to me. The public has already made up their minds, due to "false" information they have been fed. There's no turning back now, regardless of what happens. Doesn't seem right to me.

Honestly, I listen to sports radio and pay attention to the sports news on a regular basis here in Chicago, and I've heard nothing about the whole one ball thing. Maybe I just missed it, but I have not heard anything about it.

faldor

faldor wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
faldor wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Honestly, I listen to sports radio and pay attention to the sports news on a regular basis here in Chicago, and I've heard nothing about the whole one ball thing. Maybe I just missed it, but I have not heard anything about it.

The reports came out the week before the Super Bowl. They didn't get as much play because of the timing I suppose, and a pro Patriots story doesn't have the same impact as a negative one IMO.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 … sons-pick/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 … -footballs

Now I'm not saying these stories are any more valid than the initial reports, just that they do exist. Conflicting information and depending on which sources you want to believe people will form differing opinions.

faldor

faldor wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I couldn't disagree with you anymore. Can't we chalk it up to the amazing coaching staff and the level of preparedness that that particular player had to be in that spot at that time? The only way that play ends in an interception is if the defender knows exactly what the play is before the play begins. The only way that that player knows that is that they are properly prepared by coaches.

Beyond all of that, if you still think it's wise to call a run play when the defense is in goal line formation and they have at least five huge bodies on the defensive line then I don't think you understand football very well. In addition to that, Seattle put out three wide receivers which means at least one WR will be covered by a linebacker. That's a massive miss match that Seattle should have been able to take advantage of.  That being said, with them only been 1 yard away from the goal line I would probably have called a run in that situation, but I'm sitting on my couch watching the Super Bowl from 1000 miles away. No one is asking me my opinion.

I think ultimately it wasn't a good play call. But I don't think it's as bad as people are making it out to be. Their worst conviction was bad clock management that forced them into that situation. They burned 2 timeouts in the last 2 minutes when the clock was already stopped, leaving them with only 1 remaining. They wanted to leave as little time as possible on the clock so they ran the clock down before the slant. If that ball innocently falls incomplete, they probably run Lynch on 3rd down. If he gets stuffed, they call their final timeout and have the option to run or pass on 4th. If they were more organized and didn't waste their other timeouts leading up to the final sequence, they would've been able to set something up with a little more thought and assurance.

But I'm glad they didn't. You're right about the Patriots preparation on that play though. It was superb. They anticipated and read it perfectly. So in that sense it was probably the worst play call they could've made, because it didn't fool them at all. Browner jammed the receiver right away so he wasn't able to set the pick for Lockette and Butler beat him to the ball. They ran through that very play in practice, and Butler was actually beat on it every time. But he came through when it mattered most. A magnificent play.

faldor

faldor wrote:

The guy who broke the Deflategate story, Bob Kravitz, apologized for making assumptions, that currently look shaky at best. It was a hatchet job from the start. If those initial reports are indeed found to be incorrect, a lot of people should be lining up to follow Kravitz's lead on the apology train. I'm not holding my breath on that though.

http://www.wthr.com/story/28071580/krav … eflategate

Board footer