You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: sp1at thread

Axlin16 wrote:

Exactly. There might still really be tons of it left, but so much time has past, plus legalities, lack of interest... a box set might be all that's left, and even that would take tons of legal shit to wade through and who's got what.

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Interesting thread, but I think it brings even more proof into the theory that there never really was a big vault.

Axl himself said it, there was basically one more album, CD II, and that's probably it. Whatever left overs are still out there will be saved for a Special Edition as "Bucket Chunks" or something like that, a mish-mash of discarded B-Sides mixed with instrumentals, some remixes, and maybe a cover or two.

That's it.

Part of me wonders if Axl can get this out, whether it be a 2-CD or an LP + Incesticide-style EP, if Axl will go ahead and box up the new Guns era, and focus on either reuniting for nostalgia and a big pay day -- THEN retire.

As at the point when our forum existed (10 years ago), there were two albums worth of near complete songs, and a third album that required more work (some songs near complete, alongside others that required more work done). This information came from Sanctuary, at the time

Move forward 10 years, all the members offer their own songs, Axl rejects 95 per cent of them, so you can possibly add another 3-6 songs into the equation, but they would need Axl-fying, which would require Axl working on the songs.

Given no external musicians have been hired for ages, no major work has been done to any new tracks for a long time. So CD2 has to be the focus right now

The question is, can Axl release an album. His hand was forced with UYI and CD, there is no such pressure now, apart from the band members and us.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

AC/DC is playing the Grammys tomorrow night. Pretty damn cool. Wish GNR could function like AC/DC and the Stones etc.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
sp1at wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Interesting thread, but I think it brings even more proof into the theory that there never really was a big vault.

Axl himself said it, there was basically one more album, CD II, and that's probably it. Whatever left overs are still out there will be saved for a Special Edition as "Bucket Chunks" or something like that, a mish-mash of discarded B-Sides mixed with instrumentals, some remixes, and maybe a cover or two.

That's it.

Part of me wonders if Axl can get this out, whether it be a 2-CD or an LP + Incesticide-style EP, if Axl will go ahead and box up the new Guns era, and focus on either reuniting for nostalgia and a big pay day -- THEN retire.

As at the point when our forum existed (10 years ago), there were two albums worth of near complete songs, and a third album that required more work (some songs near complete, alongside others that required more work done). This information came from Sanctuary, at the time

Move forward 10 years, all the members offer their own songs, Axl rejects 95 per cent of them, so you can possibly add another 3-6 songs into the equation, but they would need Axl-fying, which would require Axl working on the songs.

Given no external musicians have been hired for ages, no major work has been done to any new tracks for a long time. So CD2 has to be the focus right now

The question is, can Axl release an album. His hand was forced with UYI and CD, there is no such pressure now, apart from the band members and us.

The pressure is gone, and GN'R is still a relevant enough brand that I don't see alot of resistence from the label, the way there was with CD. The expectations are gone. All debts paid (to my knowledge), and that's that.

I think Axl can release an album... the better question is, does he care? There's no money in albums anymore, and without a hit single, something really catchy like Alice In Chains "Hollow" or Soundgarden's "Live To Rise", Axl is not going to be afforded another concept album-type deal.

And without Axl being allowed to do, and release what he wants, and have label support, why would he care, other than fans? He has his money to live off of. Axl needs to care to do, well... anything. The label on the other hand needs something they can market, and a fucking DJ remix of Better in 2015 is NOT going to do it.

Imo Axl needs to take his CD II, and then go record one brand-new song with DJ and the band, the hit, that's built to be a Motley Crue "Saints of LA" rocker, and push the living shit of it. Let the second single be one of Axl's UYI ballads he does, and call it a day.

That's about as good as it's going to get imo. But does Axl have any motivation to want to do that?

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

AC/DC is playing the Grammys tomorrow night. Pretty damn cool. Wish GNR could function like AC/DC and the Stones etc.

To an extent, yes. But at the same time, AC/DC is lucky they even got an invite in the modern day. The world still loves them, but America is more interested in what the Illuminati marks are doing, whether they be Katy Perry or Beyonce or whatever the capitalists happen to be pushing this week.

AC/DC is apart of an old generation. A dying generation. Just a band. No bullshit.

So yeah, i'd love for Guns to do something like that, but at the same time I like the fact that Axl in recent years has kept it close to the stuff that supports him, the band, and GN'R fans.

In other words, i'd much rather see Guns play the Golden Gods Awards show, and be loved there. Than to see pandering to commericials and globalists on the obviously rigged and scripted Grammy's.

In hind-sight, its been a good thing Axl fucked off in 1994. The music business keeps spiraling downward, and rock is straight up dead. The only thing remotely interesting to me anymore in the rock world is some of the grunge bands that are still recording. They're actually still really good.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

If I was Axl's manager I'd get him training and recording with Duff, writing songs quickly with Jerry Cantrell and Izzy while putting out online only pay-walled albums like Radiohead do.
Get some art students to make videos for cheap and put them out there to see can you get shit to stick.
Play some great, stripped down gigs in cool festivals. Be humble but blow people away live.
Leave the "Spruce Goose" that is the GNR legacy behind for a year or two for the first time in a lifetime....it might bring perspective and a new lease of life.

Sky Dog wrote:

I always thought Cantrell and Axl would make a great combo....wonder why Ax never tried to get him?

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Cantrell was more Slash's interest than Axl's.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Axl, Slash, and Duff would be a great writing combo, add Izzy and you got that magic. Won't need Jerry Cantrell.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

If I was Axl's manager I'd get him training and recording with Duff, writing songs quickly with Jerry Cantrell and Izzy while putting out online only pay-walled albums like Radiohead do.
Get some art students to make videos for cheap and put them out there to see can you get shit to stick.
Play some great, stripped down gigs in cool festivals. Be humble but blow people away live.
Leave the "Spruce Goose" that is the GNR legacy behind for a year or two for the first time in a lifetime....it might bring perspective and a new lease of life.

To this day, that's not a bad idea. But Axl is so personal, so introspective... I doubt he'd let anyone in to his writing. There was that rumor like ten years ago that he was working with Desmond Child & Diane Warren, which I thought was great. Even if someone else was writing it, just to have Axl out there recording, but fans flipped, and I think it turned out to be nothing more than a rumor.

Axl definitely seems very warm with Duff & Izzy, and I think Duff is tight with Jerry. But I think Slash is also tight with Jerry, and even if Axl is a DIEHARD Alice In Chains fan, doesn't mean he'd want to write Jerry-songs with GN'R.

Sky Dog wrote:

I always thought Cantrell and Axl would make a great combo....wonder why Ax never tried to get him?

Just about ANYONE would be a great writing partner for Axl. Jerry seems to hold a pace similar to Axl too. Jerry puts out solo records every what, 7 years? AIC takes 3-4 years in between new records.

Yeah I think Axl could handle that workload.

Intercourse wrote:

Cantrell was more Slash's interest than Axl's.

Not by my recollection. I seem to remember early interviews back in the 1989-1991 period where Slash was pretty dismissive of the whole Seattle scene as not really happening.

Axl & Duff seemed to be the real cheerleaders of grunge during that period. Axl seemed to be big on Nirvana & Soundgarden, and Duff was the big Mother Love Bone & AIC fan.

But maybe i'm misremembering it. It's been virtual eons since I sifted through those old quotes and video interviews.

Smoking Guns wrote:

Axl, Slash, and Duff would be a great writing combo, add Izzy and you got that magic. Won't need Jerry Cantrell.

I definitely think Axl undervalues that, or maybe he doesn't? Maybe that's the reason for the lack of new material is that powerhouse writing team is all gone, bar from a couple Izzy collabos sitting in the vault.

Axl doesn't seem very urged to record new music, and even with all the mentioned collaborations, which would be great, i'd love Axl & Jerry, while some of Axl's peers from that day continue to record while Axl sits and watches his hair fall out. Jerry's now the sole writing force of AIC, and Cornell did a bunch of shit in between. I'm sure a kind call would make it happen, just out of curiosity, but would he make that call?

Axl was a big fan of grunge, but didn't seem to lean to writing it, bar for a couple of examples on CD. Now electronica is a different story. If Trent Reznor called, today, I think Axl would be balls deep on it. Yet at the same time, his piano ballads are NOTHING like electronica-style music. Axl seems more suited for Diane Warren in 2015, especially with that voice, than doing rockers.

Board footer