You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: 2015 NFL DRAFT

faldor wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Anyone think Goodell's gonna be back? 

I think he shouldn't.  The league's had a bad year & the players are all losing respect for him. Some things are getting absurd, the crotch grabbing, the dropping pants in the end zone??  The lack of uniformity of suspensions & fines (Josh Gordon 10 games for smoking weed vs 2 games for Ray Rice punching a woman in public??  Sean Peyton a whole year vs Bill Belicheck likely very little).

Not to go off on a tangent here, but how can you compare Bountygate to Deflategate? One encourages taking players out in an already violent game when many ex players are having a hard time to cope with their post football lives due to the beatings they took when they played. The other involves a fractional amount of air missing from a ball. The "advantage" is unknown and highly debatable, and quite possibly could've happened naturally. It's interesting to note the report now that the ONE ball that the Colts had possession of, after Brady's INT, was the ONLY ball that was 2 PSI below the limit. The other 11 were a tick below the limit. But let's be honest, all these reports are premature, misleading, conflicting, incorrect, etc. We don't know what the real deal is, and I'm not confident we ever will.

Also, the investigation isn't complete. We don't know what they have. It doesn't look like much though. IF the Pats are found to have knowingly let air out of the balls, they'll face a hefty penalty. Regardless of how insignificant the advantage gained may be, it is a rule and rules are meant to be followed (or broken). But if they can't prove they did it, what penalty do you think they should receive? They should be penalized because you THINK they're guilty? Bountygate was proven. It happened and they dropped the hammer on the Saints. It was a bit harsh, I'd agree. And the punishments are inconsistent, definitely. But I'm not sure your point in comparing these 2 situations at this point unless you know something the rest of us don't.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Well, let's not forget the Spygate incident.   Anyway, not trying to go back there, just think two things, Goodells been horrible, and if it was some ham & egger team & coach (Cinccinatti,  Carolina) who got caught deflating there would have been some harsher and quicker consequences.  Don't wanna stay on it too long tho, I'm not a NE hater & think Brady might be the best QB of all time.   

That said, massive trade in the NFL.  I'm torn.  I think it was a pretty bad deal for the Eagles, as I believe Shady has a good 3 seasons left in him, and keep in mind he's darn near a HOF potential RB, and only 26.  In return, they get a 3rd year LB who had a massive rookie season, but tore out his knee in season 2.  A RB can have a much more substantial impact than a LB in a 3-4 defense.  HOWEVER, this is Chips team, and he can do what he wants, and while I think its gonna head into a declining situation (Steve Spurrier), what the Eagles have done in the past hasn't garnered a SB either, so might has well have trust & head in a new direction.  Alot of times (ie all the time) we tend to hate sports ownership & management.  Well, I give the Eagles owner Jeff Lurie alot of credit for taking his hands off the wheel and fully allowing someone else (Chip Kelly) to drive the football operations.  I think that shows that Jeff Lurie, financially, has made his money.  However, that he actually does want to win a Super Bowl, and is willing to risk collapsing what was a pretty good nucleus & franchise to do it.

faldor

faldor wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Well, let's not forget the Spygate incident.   Anyway, not trying to go back there, just think two things, Goodells been horrible, and if it was some ham & egger team & coach (Cinccinatti,  Carolina) who got caught deflating there would have been some harsher and quicker consequences.  Don't wanna stay on it too long tho, I'm not a NE hater & think Brady might be the best QB of all time.   

That said, massive trade in the NFL.  I'm torn.  I think it was a pretty bad deal for the Eagles, as I believe Shady has a good 3 seasons left in him, and keep in mind he's darn near a HOF potential RB, and only 26.  In return, they get a 3rd year LB who had a massive rookie season, but tore out his knee in season 2.  A RB can have a much more substantial impact than a LB in a 3-4 defense.  HOWEVER, this is Chips team, and he can do what he wants, and while I think its gonna head into a declining situation (Steve Spurrier), what the Eagles have done in the past hasn't garnered a SB either, so might has well have trust & head in a new direction.  Alot of times (ie all the time) we tend to hate sports ownership & management.  Well, I give the Eagles owner Jeff Lurie alot of credit for taking his hands off the wheel and fully allowing someone else (Chip Kelly) to drive the football operations.  I think that shows that Jeff Lurie, financially, has made his money.  However, that he actually does want to win a Super Bowl, and is willing to risk collapsing what was a pretty good nucleus & franchise to do it.

I couldn't disagree more about your first point, unsurprisingly. I think the NFL has bent over backwards to find the Patriots guilty of something. They just don't have the goods. If it were Some "lesser" team I think it would've been swept under the rug and you barely would've heard about it. In fact, they did that very thing earlier this season. Both Carolina and Minnesota were caught placing their balls in front of heaters on the sidelines during a game. They received a "citation" to knock it off. There was no investigation. No penalties imposed. No media reports besmirching their reputations.

As for the trade. RB's are supplemental in this day and age. McCoy is good, but he had a down year and he's due 11 million. I personally think a team should allocate 11 million to their entire corps of RB's, not just one guy. Money can be better spent in other areas than on a RB who's probably on the back 9 of his career. The Eagles need help on D, not offense. They won't miss a beat by plugging in another RB. I firmly believe that. Not sure if Alonso will pan out or not, but it's worth a shot. And I don't think the trade makes the Bills all that much better either. Their running game wasn't the issue. Until they get a somewhat legit QB, they'll be a carbon copy of Rex's better Jets teams in the past. Ball control, good defense. But they still need a massive upgrade at the most important position on the field.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I'm not a NE hater & think Brady might be the best QB of all time.

Wow. IMO I don't think the world will ever see a QB better than Joe Montana. I'm not a Niners fan at all but he was unreal. I consider him the Michael Jordan of the NFL and regardless of stats, SB rings,etc. of any future players(in the NFL or NBA), I don't think either will be eclipsed.

As for the trade. RB's are supplemental in this day and age.

Was just talking to someone a few days ago about how the role of RBs in the NFL is devolving and may reach a point in 5-10 years where the position will be so minimal to the game that they're either phased out or are used for blocking, special teams, trick plays,etc.

I think we're in the last stages of elite RBs.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Interesting thought about RBs.  I do think teams have realized it isn't usually the RB which makes the offense go, its the OL who opens holes for the RBs which makes the 1200-1500 yard rusher.  Hence all the great college RBs who become 1st rd busts in the NFL.  Similar to USC, Florida, U Miami & other QBs who excel in college yet fail in the pros.

As for Montana, I'm not sure he's quite that untouchable.  Think of this, if Brady wins 1 more SB next year, he'll have 5 SB wins, 7 SB appearance, Gosh knows how many AFC championships, and he'd have done it all with no-namers aside from a couple years with Randy Moss, whereas Montana had Rice (arguably the greatest player of all time), Roger Craig, John Taylor an OL of pro bowlers & more.   Not taking anything away from him, but 1 more SB & Brady wins, hands down.  And with potentially 2 more years left in him, it's doable.

So no, I don't think the case is like Jordan.  Jordan, imho, is pretty close to untouchable.  Kobe, at 35 or so, has had a great career.  Admittedly when he came out I thought he was a spoiled kid & hoped he would fail.  He not only didn't, he probably became the best or one of the best players of his era.  However, he is nowhere near Jordan.  You can make the case against all other NBA players, he might be 2nd best, possibly Top 5, I'd say definitely top 10, but no contest against Jordan.  Same thing with LeBron, great player, great physical specimen (large body, can shoot the outside shot & handle the ball well), but they just don't have that championship edge.  Jordan was something else, come May & June Jordan would turn it up like no one else.  I kinda miss those days, seeing that..  Much as I hated him at the time lol.

IMHO Jordan was the greatest of the 4 sport athletes I'll ever see in my lifetime.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

As for Montana, I'm not sure he's quite that untouchable.  Think of this, if Brady wins 1 more SB next year, he'll have 5 SB wins, 7 SB appearance, Gosh knows how many AFC championships, and he'd have done it all with no-namers aside from a couple years with Randy Moss, whereas Montana had Rice (arguably the greatest player of all time), Roger Craig, John Taylor an OL of pro bowlers & more.   Not taking anything away from him, but 1 more SB & Brady wins, hands down.  And with potentially 2 more years left in him, it's doable.

Would be a fantastic point if an aging, over the hill Montana suffering from what was essentially a career ending injury had not went to a mediocre team and had them ONE game away from the SB and the ONLY thing that prevented him from that SB was Bruce Smith knocking him out cold. While I was a huge fan of that Bills team, I think Montana would have tore apart that Dallas defense.

Trade Brady to the Jaguars, Raiders, or Dolphins today, do they go to the AFC championship next year?? The clear answer to that is no.

Agree that Jordan is the greatest athlete in history and if ever topped, we'll never live long enough to see it.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Put Brady on the Jaguars?

That team he had last year was basically the Jaguars and he got them to the AFC championship game. Nobody in the history of the game has done more with less.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

It's much easier for a QB today than it was with Montana. That's why what Marino did is absolutely insane. Put those guys on teams today, with just the technology and conditioning not to mention the passer friendly rules, nobody touches Montana.

faldor

faldor wrote:
misterID wrote:

It's much easier for a QB today than it was with Montana. That's why what Marino did is absolutely insane. Put those guys on teams today, with just the technology and conditioning not to mention the passer friendly rules, nobody touches Montana.

I don't disagree, but there were also differences back then that worked to their advantage. That era was devoid of free agency, so those Niners teams were consistently stacked. It's much harder to build a consistent winner in this day and age. Montana basically had the same cast during his prime years. Brady has had anything but. He's had so many different receivers and backs implemented to the offense on the fly over the course of his career. It's nearly impossible to compare players from different eras. The rules have changed on and off the field. Both Montana and Brady made the most of their opportunities. Let's leave it at that.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Are there any Darrelle Revis' in the draft this year? Because the Pats are in need of some help in the secondary now. Joking aside, I've heard the CB class isn't too strong. Hoping the Pats continue to bolster their pass rush to help hide their deficiencies on the back end.

Board footer