You are not logged in. Please register or login.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Re: Doug Goldstein Letter to Axl

misterID wrote:
Aussie wrote:

According to wiki the first child sex allegations came out against MJ in 1993. So I'm not sure how that fits with Doug's timeline of Axl being pissed with Slash in 1991 for playing with MJ. Was Axl psychic that in 2 years time MJ was going to be accused?

Ding, ding ding, ding. Yeah complete nonsense. DG is a moron.

Playing devils advocate for a minute, just because the allegations weren't public til 93 doesn't mean it wasn't rumoured or even known within the industry before that. If it was a badly kept secret or strong rumour in the biz you could see why Axl wouldn't like it.

With all that said Doug talking BS is the more likely version of events.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
otto wrote:

On the VMA's in 92, could the "This has nothing to do with Michael Jackson" comment from Axl's be a jab at Slash then?
Always thought it was just a jab at the award name, but coming from Axl we'll never know...

As there's been talks about when things happened, here's something from a handy Slash timeline.

September 17: Guns N' Roses release Use Your Illusion 1 & 2

November 11: Michael Jackson's Black Or White single release
November 26: Slash appears on Michael Jackson's album Dangerous
November 27: Slash on stage with Michael Jackson for MTV 10th anniversary

September 9: Elton John on stage with Guns N' Roses at MTV Music Awards
September 21: Slash on stage with Michael Jackson in Oviedo

December 31: Slash on stage with Michael Jackson in Tokyo

June 16: Slash appears on Michael Jackson's album History

September 7: Slash on stage with Michael Jackson at MTV Video Music Awards

Slash and MJ certainly seemed to get along, as Slash guested on his albums post-Guns and performed with him up until 2001. I think the greatest concern from Axl's part was, will MJ steals his guitar player? Slash was circling in the big leagues with the Guns clout. His Snakepit album and tour were protested by Axl in and out. Later band members would be put on contract, which, Josh Freese said, was most about Guns being a 'priority band', while sideprojects were encouraged.

There was a fear, which I think comes across in Axl's comments, that the band was drifting apart after having achieved a certain level of accomplishment and Axl feared being marooned, whilst he had his own plans about where he'd like to take Guns. Hence, claiming the name of the biggest band of the world at the time, through a succession of legal moves, from friends fallen into substance abuse, had a certain rationale behind it. However ethical it was, that's another story.

Ax would've, thus, felt losing the Guns name through disbanding would've meant the end of his career.  Slash could go out to play with Michael Jackson, or whomever. But there was less of a demand for another MJ. I kind of think Ax as a crossbreed between a frontman and a solo artist. He definitely likes the idea of having trustees who hammer out songs for him. Having said that, he also talks about the music as something he steers, meaning he has something of an idea as to how it should sound like.

Must be a bit tricky to helm a rock band when the only instrument you're well-versed with is the piano wink

johndivney wrote:

Whatever the fuck happened, Give Into Me is a fucking belter. One of MJ's best ever. & would've been worthy to be a Guns track.

AtariLegend wrote:

Doug done another interview. He's the 2nd interview on the podcast.

http://bravewords.com/news/former-guns- … -streaming

Bewarned alot of it is Doug screaming down the phone about lots of different bullshit which may or may not be true.

This is the "description":

“In our second interview with sit down with former Guns N’ Roses manager Doug Goldstein (current CEO When Pigs Fly) for an epic two hour chat discussing the entire history of the band including the feuds, lawsuits and riots. More specifically we talk about Axl Rose becoming the sole owner of the GNR name, the firing of Steve Adler, working with KISS' Paul Stanley and Bob Ezrin, the Montreal Riot and why it was Metallica's Lars Ulrich's fault, the 2 1/2 years of documented yet unreleased Use Your Illusion Tour film, Yoda aka Sharon Maynard, Iron Maiden's manager Rod Smallwood (and his potential involvement in a GNR reunion tour), controversial songs One In A Million and Look At Your Game Girl, working with Black Sabbath featuring Glenn Hughes and current KISS drummer Eric Singer, the Rose Festival featuring Van Halen and Guns N Roses, his letter to Axl, the 'Denver Incident', John Reese, are there 100 unreleased songs sitting in a vault , Slash, Duff and much, much more.”

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

Man....never knew what a sleaze Doug could be....

And all this conjuring up of scenarios feels so sad to me, partly because they all seem like things that could have actually happened.

But honestly...what it really feels like is going back to the tombstone of a long lost departed close friend. I can't believe how much time has passed. We all keep coming back to this forum to revisit tombstones.

When I discovered GNR I was a freshman in high school and the year was 1997. It had only been 4 years since their last concert, and I had such hopes of reconciliation, realistically thinking that by my senior year of high school, something would certainly change.

All we've been left with is rehash upon rehash relating to even some of the most behind the scenes characters of the story.

Anyway, I feel a deep sense of meloncholly after reading this thread from its very first post. Just wondering if anyone else feels the same.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

But honestly...what it really feels like is going back to the tombstone of a long lost departed close friend. I can't believe how much time has passed. We all keep coming back to this forum to revisit tombstones.

Other than the info Apex continues to compile and those great RS articles from hunter, this is the quote of the year.

Honestly, I'm not even a fan of "GNR" anymore, mainly because there's just nothing to be a fan of. Anyone remember that huge Audioslave forum that stayed open for awhile after their implosion until everyone walked away and the thing had to shut down? That's what the GNR sites are now. There's nothing but the trips down memory lane, or "tombstones" as you say.

And all this conjuring up of scenarios feels so sad to me, partly because they all seem like things that could have actually happened.

Yep. There are a massive amount of "what ifs" concerning GNR, old GNR and CD era GNR that were just pipe dreams.

AtariLegend wrote:

I'm kind of surprised more haven't commented on that radio interview yet or if Apex isn't writing an essay on it.

It is virtually Doug commenting on almost every forum rumour ever about the previous line-ups and trying to put himself "over". Obviously a lot will take bits out of it to use as ammo against Axl or whomever, but I'm personally not surprised the band ended up the way it did with management like him and Niven.

AtariLegend wrote:

Forward to 7.49. Slash basically says it's BS.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I'm personally not surprised the band ended up the way it did with management like him and Niven.

Out of all the people to blame for the way GNR turned out, I don't see any info that places that blame on Niven. Admittedly my memory isn't what it used to be but out of all involved, I think he's one of the few(maybe only) that deserves a free pass.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I see Niven was co-host on Mitch Lafon's latest podcast.  He briefly addressed a couple of things re the recent Goldstein interview near the end of the podcast.  Starts around the 1 hour mark for a couple of minutes.

Board footer