You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Dissecting Chinese Democracy: Track 7 - Catcher N' The Rye

Neemo wrote:

Catcher N' The Rye is credited to Axl Rose and Paul Tobias, it was first performed on December 16, 2009 at the Kyocera Dome in Osaka, Japan

Brian May of Queen was originally called in by GnR to lay down guitar parts for the track, after he left Sean Beavan and Axl stitched together a completely different solo from Brian's different takes, when called back to the studio to listen to the final track,  Brian was reportedly a bit flabbergasted "but that's not what I played" tho after a time he must have warmed to it, as he was quoted as saying "it's a shame I was proud of the song", when interviewed about his parts being removed from the final studio track. The removal of his solo caused a bit of a rift within the online education fanbase, thereally is a leak of Brian's version available if u know where to look for that sort of thing...from what I can remember it was a poor recording and I didn't listen to it too much...perhaps I should listen again

On the surface it would appear that the song title refers to J.D. Salinger's novel Catcher in the Rye. Some may suggesg that Rose is questioning in this song why some notorious killers, such as Mark Chapman, the murderer of John Lennon, appear to be motivated by the book and it's anti-hero Holden Caulfield.

From the MyGnR chat, Axl claimed that the song was inspired by what's referred to sometimes as Holden Caulfield syndrome and that the lyrics lines are just venting, blowing off steam, humor or some type of entertainment where it may be how others seriously live in their minds. Appatently When when the title of the song became public he got a call from the director of Imagine wanting a bunch of money to make a documentary and had a guy sending him strange packages about Lennon and serial killers

I read Salinger's book a couple years ago and I absolutely loved it, I can't believe I didn't read it sooner...I highly recommend the book...for those interested in the books symbolism you can visit this page:

http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/catcher/themes.html

Personally I think the lyrics are amazing...perhaps the best on the album...I also feel they touch on much of what is presented in the above link

Themes

Alienation as a former of self protection

- the main character in the book often alienates himself to avoid dealing with others...sound familiar?

You decide
Cause I don't have to
And then they'll find
And I won't ask you
At anytime
Or long hereafter
If the cold outside's
As I'm imaging
It to be

Phoniness in the adult world

- Axl's struggles with false information in the media is legendary

When all is said and done
We're not the only ones
Who look at life this way
That's what the old folk's say
But every time I see them
Makes me wish I had a gun
If I thought that I was crazy
Well I guess I'd have more fun
(Guess I'd have more fun)

Painfulness growing up

- while not necessarily connected with growing up, the idea of change, whether the death of Lennon or the death of the original band or axis own personal struggles,  there was a massive change experienced for him and just getting thru it was probably very trying for him.

.I've traversed a sea of horrorsome to be with u tonight

Cause what used to be's
Not there for me
And ought to for someone
that belongs ...
Insane ...
Like I do

Between the last 2 passages from the song that I quoted...I wonder if this is an admittance that some of the crazy Axl we've seen over the years is being presented as misconstrued and/or fabricated by himself or the media..people think he is crazy so he might as well act the part

Motifs

Loneliness
Relationships, intimacy, sexually
Lying and deception

Symbols

The catcher in the rye
The red hat
Museum of natural history
Ducks in the lagoon

I think the song content is very deep...I could go on and on...great song

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

Very cool! Thanks Neemo.

There's a cool Catcher remix and video by Evader at https://vimeo.com/75059657 - personally my favourite version 16

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Will wrote:

Very cool! Thanks Neemo.

There's a cool Catcher remix and video by Evader at https://vimeo.com/75059657 - personally my favourite version 16

That was pretty good. I really enjoyed his particular Catcher Remix with Buckethead solos on it. Overall, I still enjoy the original studio version despite it's problems. The '99 demo with May is superior; but hey that's life I suppose. Just wish I could have a copy to put on my desktop. Great analysis, Neemo. It got me thinking about the lyrics some more.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Some may suggesg that Rose is questioning in this song why some notorious killers, such as Mark Chapman, the murderer of John Lennon, appear to be motivated by the book and it's anti-hero Holden Caulfield.

With reason. People have been analyzing that book for years, but nobody seems to know why Chapman should have been inspired by it.

I heard a fun theory though. The story goes the CIA approached Salinger to work for them, like they do with many artists, but he refused. This angered the agency so they included his book in the Lennon murder, just to associate it with him.

AtariLegend wrote:

For the sake of irony.

fyi I loved the demo. It was fantastic and it sounded like a classic rock track from the vaults of time. The album version is just, well heartbreaking. It was a terrible, terrible idea.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I don't get it either. never will. 

Lump me in with the people who thought the song was about Lennon and Chapman.  Either way, one of Axl's finest moments lyrically.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I'm surprised noone has commented on this from my original post...I thought I had an epiphany when I truely heard it...

If they thought that I was crazy well I guess I'd have more fun

Cause what used to be's
Not there for me
And ought to for someone
that belongs ...
Insane ...
Like I do

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Another interesting tidbit, if near ancient gossip is to be believed...   

Izabel Oliviers, fan wrote:

Axl also mentioned that Catcher in the Rye will be on the third record.

He said that CD will be a very intense record and the second one will be more of introspective.

He said they'll keep on touring and that he really enphasized they'd be back in the summer at the end of the show because this is going to happen (which makes me wonder about these cancellations...) At this point someone asked if CD was coming out in 2002, and he said no (kinda obvious, but....).

Source: http://gnrontour.com/sets2002/20021205reviews.html

Axl in good spirits before the infamous tour cancellation. A comment on the album's thematic direction. Curiouser and curiouser.

Any way, the leaked demo of this song has grown on me immensely throughout the years. Sublime work by Brian, Axl's delightful vocals, and lovely keyboard work by Pitman. The final version is another sad example of a melodic solo being replaced by overly shrill riffing.

I haven't read the book in ages but will be sure to check back on Neemo's post in the future. smile

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Demo was brilliant. It had The Beatles feel to it.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

yup, it felt "vintage". BBF literally raped it. but miraculously, I prefer the album version smile

Board footer