You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: How much of the board actually believes a reunion will happen?

Smoking Guns wrote:
war wrote:

yes. i thinkthey have already agreed to reunite for a tour. the details are being discussed and certain dates and venue are probably already decided on.

^^^^^^ war gets it.

Do you think we will see a reunion within the next few years?

Yes 75%
No 25%
Total votes: 40
James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Looking back and reading Chinese Whispers for 94-99, I think it's very clear that Axl always wanted Guns to work with Slash. I don't think Axl wanted to put out an electronica record or anything, but he wanted Slash's chops with an updated sound, not southern rock.

Velvet Revolver's success only proves that this was viable.

Yeah that's an incredible read. I was always interested in the 2000-02 period but I find the mid 90s section much more interesting now that CD's corpse is dead and bloated, reunion getting close, and diving into what led to the bizarre saga in the first place.

I think those who think a reunion cant happen because of "cancer", "not in this lifetime", and song lyrics need to read that. Its obvious that the damage was not catastrophic and was molehills disguised as Everests. It simply became a runaway train quickly once he bailed. The eye openers in CD Whispers are how he wanted Izzy to come back before Rio 01(gonna ditch Paul Huge already??) and his interest in having Slash contribute to three songs on CD. He clearly had doors open to both guys. If those two doors were open temporarily, Duff's door was wide open. Nothing against Sorum but a potential 'truce' leading to Axl, Slash, Duff, and Izzy getting together in that 98-00 period would have been like there hadn't even been a breakup at all. CD sessions at that point could have been vaporized and been a mere footnote and pause in the band's history.

Remember his anger directed at Izzy in that 90s RS interview? He clearly got over it then, long before 2006. Izzy declining is beside the point. Axl interested in Slash being on CD and Slash shows up in Vegas but the sycophants turn him away? We were CLOSE then. If he tells them to fuck off and goes to see Axl anyways, this whole story has a different ending.

Something happened between then and 02 leading to the lame rants directed at those two. Hopefully a reunion leads to answers on what was REALLY going on behind the scenes during the saga. IMO a reunion was close at least three times during this saga.

As far as electronica goes, Axl definitely liked the idea of trend jumping(not just that but grunge) but that could have happened with the 94 lineup.

The only real obstacle was the separation of the two. Hanging out for ten minutes or even a damn phone call was all that was needed to thaw the ice. That ice appears to not only be thawed but evaporating. Considering how much time has went by and how much potential music will never exist because of their "feud" is crazy.

regardless of how much anyone likes CD I don't think there's any doubt that the GNR discography would be doubled had Axl, Slash, Duff, and Izzy worked things out back then(late 90s). A silent period between 94-99 would have been expected considering all that went on 91-93. They all needed to just step back for awhile. Hindsight tells us SFTD and Snakepit were colossal mistakes. Those two things got the trainwreck a rollin'.

war wrote:

yes. i thinkthey have already agreed to reunite for a tour. the details are being discussed and certain dates and venue are probably already decided on.

You think it's that far into the process? Certainly possible and I don't necessarily disagree but there is a LOT of shit to be sorted but we have no idea how long both sides have been in contact. All we know is that contact was made. An interesting question would be who put out the feelers? Doesn't matter I suppose but if it came from Axl's side it certainly increases the chances of it happening by about a million percent.

edit: When I said there is a lot of shit to be sorted, I meant things like tour logistics, contracts, who's in or out,etc. LIke I said before, I don't think there's much depth to the complications, dysfunctions,etc. to any of their relationships.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

My thoughts are that a reunion is not close to happening and if i had to bet my life on it I would say that the odds are quite low. There are really two comments I'd like to make regarding this topic.

I've been around these message boards (most loyal to here, of course) since the late 1990s. I've been around long enough to see at least a few patterns in ebs and flows of the conversation and buzz surrounding this band. These are the things I noticed.

1) Hardcore Gn'R fans have been soooo deprived of any stimulation from this band for so long that sometimes we create our own stimulation. As optimistic as I would like to be about a possible reunion, I think the latest swing in optimism is self-stimulation from a group of people starved for stimulation and a need to find some reason to continue to justify following this band.

2) Hardcore Gn'R fans suffer from a rare from abuse, and like many abused fans we blame ourselves and come back for more only for the same cycle to repeat. 16

I honestly expect more of the same....long, dormant periods followed by tours/Vegas type stuff. As I understand it, all of these players were employees of Gn'R, not really members of a band as you and I would define them. Their 'leaving' may just be a way to save money. I honestly never understood paying DJ, Robin, Bumble...etc....for years of dormancy. I don't know how many years Axl has in him. Also, I feel like if he really gave a crap about being creative, he would have produced a bit more than he has produced at this point. So in terms of new material....I really don't think he gives a crap about it. He may like to tinker, and play around in the studio...but to take it to the point producing a professional piece of art....I just don't think he cares about it. It's easy to just do nostalgia acts for HUGE paydays.

I don't blame him for it either.

I remember James posting several times over the years that he thought perhaps the creativity pump had run dry after the illusions. I can't remember his thought process on that...maybe he could reiterate it for us if he is so inclined.

So sadly, no...I don't believe a reunion will happen. sad

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
war wrote:

^^^^^^ war gets it.

war is speculating just like everyone else though tongue We don't have a single credible source to say that any details are being discussed or that certain dates and venues are already decided on. In my opinion the only concrete evidence that a reunion might be in the works is:-

Blabbermouth wrote:

[...]the guitarist said of his restored relationship with Axl: "It was probably way overdue, you know. But it's…. you know, it's very cool at this point. You know, let some of that, sort of, negative… dispel some of that negative stuff that was going on for so long."

The "restored friendship" claim doesn't come from Slash's mouth though, that is Blabbermouth taking liberties and making their own conclusions, just like the rest of the media did, and 76% of the Evo users who voted in our poll too 22

For all we know Slash and Axl have just sent a couple of emails back and forth through their handlers, but that doesn't mean a reunion is being considered by either party.

Funny how that single comment from Slash has snowballed really, with each media outlet adding to the chinese whispers with no real proof of anything - and now we have dates and venues confirmed, including a headlining slot at Rock in Rio apparently 16 We've already written off Steven as unreliable (sorry Steven!), and Izzy is waaay too unreliable to complete a handful of potential reunion shows so we've written him out of the equation too (sorry Izzy!), and despite Axl and Pitman publicly referencing working together in the studio the fanbase has declared there is no room for Chris in a reunion so his neck is now on the chopping board aswell - not to mention the remainder of the Chinese-era recordings, or the fact that Slash is working on a new album for next year and planning a tour.

Imo, Guns are silent on the issue because they've learned the hard way over the years that anything they say will later be used against them (in the internet court of law 16).

I don't want to shit in anyones cornflakes, I'm just think I'm being realistic and looking at what GNR history tells us will (or in this case wont) happen.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Will, I am pretty certain it is a done deal based off info I have heard and my source in the other thread just confirms what my other source claims.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Imo, Guns are silent on the issue because they've learned the hard way over the years that anything they say will later be used against them

Its also the perfect opportunity for them to shit on a reunion and/or Slash which they loved doing for years and it is THE perfect opportunity to let fans know that CD II is in the pipeline when a 2 sentence statement on an album would appease loony hardcores for a year. I thought Axl was "moving forward"? A great opportunity to let people know that.

Instead its so silent you could hear a mouse fart in the Andromeda galaxy.

Yeah we have went through silent periods before. This one is different. All parties involved know the window is closing and Slash doing solo stuff doesn't even factor into my stance on the potential for it occurring. Solo crap can be juggled/put on hold,etc. Chris Cornell is currently touring, just released a new album, more touring, and working on the next SG album which will likely lead to touring. Cornell can juggle such a workload but Slash cant? We certainly disagree there.

As far as no info other than Slash's comment, Trunk has mentioned venues being decided on and the GNR camp putting out feelers. This could easily be bullshit but there's more smoke than what's coming off the tip of Slash's cigarette.

I doubt they're friends whether they go on a three year world tour together or hardcore fans wait another five years for CD II while Slash continues a solo career. Mick and Keith aren't best buddies, Chris and Kim aren't best buddies,etc. At that level it doesn't really matter. All that matters is that the two can coexist.

. I don't know how many years Axl has in him.

Not all that many as far as being able to pull off a legitimate comeback/reunion which is the main reason I think that is the next step. This isn't the good old days of the late 90s where he's easily got 10 years to kill playing Chinese checkers.

I honestly never understood paying DJ, Robin, Bumble...etc....for years of dormancy.

I think it was the earlier CD lineups that were on contract to that degree. Don't remember the details though.

Also, I feel like if he really gave a crap about being creative, he would have produced a bit more than he has produced at this point. So in terms of new material....I really don't think he gives a crap about it. He may like to tinker, and play around in the studio...but to take it to the point producing a professional piece of art....I just don't think he cares about it. It's easy to just do nostalgia acts for HUGE paydays.

Yep. Sadly I agree with this to an extent. I think he personally cares about what he did a lifetime ago but you're right about the nostalgia factor which is another reason a reunion isn't far fetched. Will brings up the desperation of "reunionists" but the reaction to this from the other side of the fence is interesting.

"There wont be a reunion!! CD II is coming!! They are moving forward!!"

Really? So how was this sense of urgency sparked after years of nostalgia tours and ZERO info from Axl/GNR camp about a second album? It went from "same bat time, same bat channel" to "don't know, don't care" and has been static since. In seven years the fans got an evening of forum chat and six years later ONE 'mysterious' pic from a studio that apparently means its on like Donkey Kong. I remember that pic of Buckethead in the studio. How'd that play out again? And what's he moving forward with exactly?

We got twenty times more info than that in 2001-08. I need a tad more convincing to believe an album is being placed on the launch pad. The road to a reunion much more realistic but I'm praying for a hail mary throw of CD II before it gets underway.

I remember James posting several times over the years that he thought perhaps the creativity pump had run dry after the illusions. I can't remember his thought process on that...

I don't remember it either. 14 It may have ran dry after Illusions but as far as the CD saga goes, IMO after 01-02 his interest in the project went into decline. Even if there's interest he's not a 'man on a mission' so to speak. He avoids public mentions of it like the plague and has since CD was released. His own manager wont even mention ANYTHING about an album. ANYTHING.

but apparently its in the pipeline and a reunion is absurd...  16

I don't want to do any cornflake shitting either but out of future possibilities I think most hardcore fans agree that a reunion is the likeliest. I'd be saying this even if Slash hadn't opened his mouth and I'd also be wagering elephant turds on it (again).  14

Will

Will wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Will, I am pretty certain it is a done deal based off info I have heard and my source in the other thread just confirms what my other source claims.

My issue is that your sources have zero authority, just like all of the media outlets sources. Unless Axl, Slash, Duff or Izzy says "Yes we are working out the details for a potential reunion of the AFD lineup" then we have no reason to believe it is in the works. Even if one of those 4 guys said it I would still have huge reservations because this is GNR we're talking about.

Will

Will wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

His own manager wont even mention ANYTHING about an album. ANYTHING.

but apparently its in the pipeline and a reunion is absurd...  16

I don't want to do any cornflake shitting either but out of future possibilities I think most hardcore fans agree that a reunion is the likeliest. I'd be saying this even if Slash hadn't opened his mouth and I'd also be wagering elephant turds on it (again).  14

This is why I love GNR, and in particular the community at Evo 16 I just can't believe that so many fans have jumped aboard the reunion bandwagon and bought into the medias hype. I love that a fellow admin has the complete opposite opinion, and will be eating 2 elephant turds in the near future.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Will wrote:

Funny how that single comment from Slash has snowballed really, with each media outlet adding to the chinese whispers with no real proof of anything - and now we have dates and venues confirmed, including a headlining slot at Rock in Rio apparently 16

Willful misinterpretation.

That's all there's to it right now. Some people want it to happen badly, be it for emotional or monetary reasons.
The click-bait media of today joins suit and creates scoops in the absence of news. Former members are interviewed, etc.
Axl's staying quiet and it's all raining into his pockets. He can always say, 'This was YOUR idea', and he'd be completely right.

Having said that, I expected people, particularly those who've been around more, to be more even-keel on these rumors.
Yes, Slash said tensions have eased and he even said that to Billboard in May, but it went mostly undetected. Hardly news.
Suddenly, we have muppets telling other people how 'they' were aware of the Axl/Slash talks for months before. Get real.

If it happens, hopefully the fans win. But I'd give it more than a year. Maybe more than two.

Meantime, I feel the collective excitement is just a tad unfounded and every other non-sensical rumor will feed into the fantasy.
Then again, that's entertainment. smile

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

How many albums does Axl have left on his contract? Isn't that obligation what has caused problems for him for years?

Board footer