You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: How much of the board actually believes a reunion will happen?

polluxlm wrote:

Axl dislikes touring, but by most accounts he enjoys making music. Releasing it? Not sure. He certainly enjoyed being a rock star, lamenting the loss of that status in his interview with Loder around 2000.

I think being judged is what he doesn't like. When the record company and producers came back and said his album was not good enough that probably affected him. Then again he wasn't happy with the Use Your Illusion recordings, and back then they could do no wrong in terms of the public and media.

If he generally felt the music was great and what he wanted it to be I don't think he would have a problem. But when he's not sure, like after trying to continue GN'R without Slash, Izzy and Duff it might play a bigger part. In a secure environment, or in a secure state of mind, I think he wouldn't care at all. You don't go on stage in front of 50,000 people and own the place if you care too much about what people think. He just has problems getting to the stage...

Do you think we will see a reunion within the next few years?

Yes 75%
No 25%
Total votes: 40
sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

AEG are working with GN'R on something, I am happy with that now. It's frustrating because I cannot get any detail. Due to the tour management set up, it makes the Reading Leeds festival more likely than Sonisphere, and it also throws Roskilde into the equation.

I will leave asking for three/four weeks or so now, because some announcements are coming up on key festivals, so we will probably know more soon anyway

Key tour personel for GN'R are Rod MacSween and Ken Fermaglich if you want to do your own searches

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Unless these festivals cough up huge $$$, I can't see the reunion happening at those venues. 

That leads me to believe the strategy is Slash and Duff as an appetizer and the full reunion on their own not too long after that.  The only way that can work is if Axl is Axl and not a Disney mouse.  People won't go back again to see the full reunion if Axl blows.  That would be a pretty big bet for Axl to make on himself.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Remember his anger directed at Izzy in that 90s RS interview?

I found this. It wasn't RS. It was RIP.

RIP: You really haven't yet addressed why Izzy Stradlin left GNR. If you
would, explain what happened and, more importantly, how you feel about Izzy.

AXL: l feel like he shit all over me, and I wiped it off and ain't too happy
that it happened. l think for a long period of time Izzy wanted to be more
independent, but Guns N' Roses took off fast, and he was such a part of it,
it was hard to take that step. That's my opinion. There are certain
responsibilities to Guns N' Roses that Izzy didn't want to face. He
basically didn't want to work as hard at certain things as we did. He pretty
much just showed up before we went on onstage, would get upset that l wasn't
on time, played, then split. There were times when we'd get off stage, and
five minutes later he was gone. He didn't socialize with the band on any
level, and he had a real problem being sober and being around us. Izzy's
always been very compulsive and impulsive, and although he's quit abusing
various substances, he still hasn't gotten to the base of the reason why he
was abusive. He hasn't solved that, so instead of doing drugs, drinking and
womanizing, he was keeping himself busy traveling, bicycling and buying lots
of toys. There's nothing wrong with any of that, except that he wasn't able
to do the things required of him in Guns N' Roses. Getting Izzy to work hard
on the album was like pulling fucking teeth. Everybody dreaded it. Nobody
would go by the studio while he was there, because no one wanted to deal
with it. He'd play something out of key, and we'd ask him to do it again,
and he'd be like, "Why? l just did it." Izzy was very unsupportive of me in
general. He was very concerned about his free time, and he didn't have a
whole lot of understanding of what it takes me to do my job. As far as I'm
concerned, he was a lazy, selfish user. There are ways that miss him and
wish it could've gone on, but he was a real fucking asshole to me. I was
always a massive Izzy fan and supporter, but now that he's working with Alan
Niven (former GNR manager), fuck him -- and you can print this. Even if we
work things out between us, l won't regret what's coming out in this
interview, because it's how l feel. I'm glad we got the songs out of him
that we did, and I'm glad he's gone.

RIP: He really hurt you, huh?

AXL: You wanna know how he really hurt me? When he came up here to my
fucking house and acted like, "What's wrong, man?" It's really weird; I knew
he was coming. I could literally feel his car driving up as l was getting
dressed. l went outside and sat down, because Izzy couldn't come into my
house. l couldn't act like he was my friend after what he'd done to me. He
came up and acted like he hadn't done anything, but he let us down at a
weird time. It wasn't like someone leaving the band because they couldn't
take it anymore; he left in a shitty way. Izzy called up members of the band
and tried to turn them against me by saying that l pushed him out, and
that's not how it went down. He said a lot of shit behind my back. He tried
to make a power play and damage us on his way out, and that's real fucked
up.

http://www.w-axl-rose.com/Articles/Art_RIP_1992.html

The venom directed at Izzy is just as bad if not worse than anything later aimed at Slash. Look how that turned out. That incident at his house sounds identical to the 2006 Slash incident.

Not in this lifetime? That's a laugh. Some people act like Axl cant change his mind or look back on certain things with a different perspective.

edit: Another interesting comment..

RIP: Is he a "member" of Guns N' Roses?

AXL: This "member" thing is quite interesting. l read in an interview where
Matt (Sorum, GNR's drummer) said that if he didn't get made a member, he
wasn't going to be in Guns N' Roses. The truth of the matter is, Matt's a
member of GNR, but it doesn't really mean anything. It's kind of like a
clubhouse/gang thing. We're all members of this gang. What it boils down to
is, whose yard is the tree house in? Matt's a member of GNR, and his
opinions are taken into consideration. As far as that's concerned, Gilby is
a member too. Dizzy is a member of the band. With all of the background
singers, horn players, keyboardists -- we look at if like we're all Guns N'
Roses. But the bottom line is, the business is basically run by Slash and
myself. Then we run whatever it is we're discussing by Duff and see if he's
cool with it. Guns N' Roses is basically Slash, Duff, Doug Goldstein and
myself, but there's a lot of other people involved that are a part of our
lives and a part of our family.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I like the last part.  Axl makes good points at times.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Do we know when Axl "forgave" Izzy? He was letting it rip on Axl pretty hard in a couple of interviews in 2001. When did he first do a gig with the band? 06?

AtariLegend wrote:

In the same interview he says "Even if we work things out between us". I really think the relationship was alot more complicated than that.

Pollux, he played with Guns the next year tongue in 93. Izzy has been on almost every other tour in some appearance or whatever with Axl since before it was called Guns N'Roses.

He's played a show here and there I think on more new-Guns tours than tours where he hasn't.

fyi the interview "RIP" was Del.

This is from the same interview.

DEL: Want to talk about another former member of Guns, drummer Steven Adler?
AXL: The misconception is that we kicked him out for the hell of it, and that I was the dictator behind it. The truth is, I probably fought a little harder to keep him in the band, because I wasn't working with him on a daily basis like the other guys were. They grew tired of not being able to get their work done because Steven wasn't capable of it. I've read interviews where he's saying that he's straight. Most of the time he isn't. He's the type of person who wants everything handed to him, and he did get it handed to him. He got it handed to him from me. At one point, in order to keep this band together, it was necessary for me to give him a portion of my publishing rights. That was one of the biggest mistakes I've made in my life, but he threw such a fit, saying he wasn't going to stay in the band. We were worried about not being able to record our first album, so I did what I felt I had to do. In the long run I paid very extensively for keeping Steven in Guns N' Roses. I paid $1.5 million by giving him 15% of my publishing off of Appetite For Destruction. He didn't write one goddamn note, but he calls me a selfish dick! He's been able to live off of that money, buy a shitload of drugs and hire lawyers to sue me. If and when he loses the lawsuit he has against us, and he has to pay those lawyers, if he has any money left, it'll be the money that came from Guns N' Roses and myself. At this point I really don't care what happens to Steven Adler, because he's taken himself out of my life, out of my care and concern. I feel bad for him in ways, because he's a real damaged person, but he's making choices to keep himself in that damage. There's nothing we can do at this point. We took him to rehabs, we threatened his drug dealers, we helped him when he slashed his wrists. I even forgave him after he nearly killed my wife. I had to spend a night with her in an intensive-care unit because her heart had stopped thanks to Steven. She was hysterical, and he shot her up with a speedball. She had never done jack shit as far as drugs go, and he shoots her up with a mixture of heroin and cocaine? I kept myself from doing anything to him. I kept the man from being killed by members of her family. I saved him from having to go to court, because her mother wanted him held responsible for his actions. And the sonofabitch turns on me? I mean, yeah, I'm a difficult person to deal with, and I'm a pain in the ass to understand, and I've had my share of problems, but Steven benefited greatly from his involvement with me - more than I did from knowing him. Steven had a lot of fans, but he was a real pain in the ass. I need to keep him in my life for you? F?!k you!

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Wasn't 93 mostly a payout thing? GN'R owed him money and Izzy's manager said he should do the shows to get them. And GN'R desperately needed someone to fill in for Gilby's broken arm. Later he didn't speak of the experience too fondly. Don't know if Axl mentioned it.

Reason I ask is he still had strong feelings 8 years later. Then they are back doing shows, being friendly to each other in interviews.

Thanks for the Steven info. Guy really is pathetic.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

The other exciting possibility that's just occurred to me is that if Slash and Axl are on speaking terms again – even if there isn't a reunion/quasi-reunion – it means we might finally get GN'R tracks in Rocksmith. Which would make me so happy.

AtariLegend wrote:

The announcement for the first set of acts at Reading next year is supposed to be announced at 8:AM GMT (UK) on Friday morning. Gun's are rumored to be announced as the headliners, so we'll see what happens. It's a few days away.

http://www.readingfestival.com/line-up

On the other hand ITV here on their website are claiming that rumors exist about Guns playing Glastonbury, but every act gets linked with Glastonbury.

Board footer