You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Axl Rose To Talk "Guns N Roses" on Jmmy Kimmel Live(Not Happening)

James wrote:

A GNR album isn't the rock industry. Its one album by one of the biggest bands of all time. Give it massive promo and everyone and their grandma will know about it....just like they know about the reunion.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Yeah with Slash and Duff back in it would turn into most anticipated album of 2016 if it gets mentioned by any of those three guys. The general public doesn't even know about it so it doesn't have the Chinese stigma attached to it.

Axl could totally call it 'Guns N' Roses' and get away with it. As a title, CD2 would be a stigma, even if it would be fair considering the origin of the tracks.

James Lofton wrote:

Let's say they dropped Atlas Shrugged next month to  promote the upcoming tour. That song has a long history for us. To anyone else it's a brand new GNR song featuring Axl and Slash.

Uh huh. This is by far the biggest singular shot we've had for a follow-up album since the Azoff era. Had Axl played ball with him, CD2 would've happened in 2009-10, despite the commercial reception of the first one. Azoff would've been shrewd enough to cut the deal, only it would've meant his terms and a reunion by RRHOF. That old man is out there somewhere, grinding his teeth over these recent developments. He missed out. tongue

James Lofton wrote:

Would have been interesting had the reunion happened in 2005-06. CD itself would have been in the same situation as CD II is now.

The Slash guesting scenario has been tossed around since 2001, according to Canter. So it's been within the realm of possibility for Axl since the New Guns were unveiled. Regardless of when it would've happened, some would've seen it as Axl caving in and calling Slash, others would've considered it as Slash caving in and lending credence to Axl's album. Plenty of people would've just been curious to hear the music, tho.

Slash McKagan
 Rep: 11 

James Lofton wrote:

Yeah with Slash and Duff back in it would turn into most anticipated album of 2016 if it gets mentioned by any of those three guys. The general public doesn't even know about it so it doesn't have the Chinese stigma attached to it. Let's say they dropped Atlas Shrugged next month to  promote the upcoming tour. That song has a long history for us. To anyone else it's a brand new GNR song featuring Axl and Slash.

Brand new GNR album could just as easily be similar to what Ron and Frank did with CD but this time its Slash and Duff. I hope so anyways because its probably our only real hope of getting it.

Would have been interesting had the reunion happened in 2005-06. CD itself would have been in the same situation as CD II is now.

Well if they put Slash and Duff on some existing songs it would for sure make sense to have the title of a new album to be "Guns N' Roses"  wouldn't it ?

Nik
 Rep: 6 

Nik wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I'm glad he's going to be involved in the promotion. Its a sign he's into it and might want another ride at the top of the mountain.

LOL... it's obvious that he's involved in the promotion: he owns GNR

Nik
 Rep: 6 

Nik wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Yeah with Slash and Duff back in it would turn into most anticipated album of 2016 if it gets mentioned by any of those three guys. The general public doesn't even know about it so it doesn't have the Chinese stigma attached to it. Let's say they dropped Atlas Shrugged next month to  promote the upcoming tour. That song has a long history for us. To anyone else it's a brand new GNR song featuring Axl and Slash.

Brand new GNR album could just as easily be similar to what Ron and Frank did with CD but this time its Slash and Duff. I hope so anyways because its probably our only real hope of getting it.

I strongly hope that slash and duff will not touch any single note of material they are not involved with.... I think they must play the old stuff and maybe some old songs never surfaced, or write somethnig from scratch.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

A GNR album isn't the rock industry. Its one album by one of the biggest bands of all time. Give it massive promo and everyone and their grandma will know about it....just like they know about the reunion.

AC/DC showed you can put a fire under anything as long as the brand has appeal. And the new Star Wars movie proves the time has never been riper to package the past for mass consumption, no matter what's in the package.

Tickets for shows or album sales are maybe secondary in this. Everybody and their mother will want a piece. The media will relish in the click bait, advertisers looking to slap the brand recognition on anything and everything. Once you get the big boys interested these days it is total saturation. Possible revenue streams are endless.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

polluxlm wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

AOnce you get the big boys interested these days it is total saturation. Possible revenue streams are endless.

Which is why I'm hoping against hope that one of the things we get out of this is a classic GN'R Rocksmith DLC pack.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Nik wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I strongly hope that slash and duff will not touch any single note of material they are not involved with.... I think they must play the old stuff and maybe some old songs never surfaced, or write somethnig from scratch.

He's not going to start from scratch, just not going to happen in this reality. CD II is his baby. Despite the marketing of a reunion, Slash and Duff are rejoining the band. It's why the line up will be what it is.  Duff was in already, DJ leaving fucked everything. It was actually a pretty natural thing as Slash has wanted back in for years. I think its quite possible Slash has already laid something down. Also, according to Richard, they were working songs that were started by Slash years ago.

I think we need to put to rest any thought of Axl scrapping CD II or starting from scratch, because that's just not happening. Axl will not do that. There is tons of material that can be worked on.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

ID I agree with that but I would expect Axl to do some new shit with Duff and Slash for sure. Too much talent there to just say, "hey guys please work on these songs, some of which are over 15 years old, don't play me any sick bass lines or riff, we are only going to work on my old ideas". That doesn't make much sense ID, if they are really back in we will get some new shit and at the very least, tunes from the 2002 VR sessions with Izzy, Duff, Matt, Slash that Weiland refused to work on.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I think we need to put to rest any thought of Axl scrapping CD II or starting from scratch, because that's just not happening. Axl will not do that. There is tons of material that can be worked on.

You really shouldn't state this as fact.  "WE" really don't know anything about what's going on yet. In time, we'll find out what goes on.

Board footer