You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: So... new music

Axlin16 wrote:

Good to see you again James, I personally think that This I Love didn't have a solo. At all.

I've always felt Robin's additional solo to This I Love was a late addition, and i've always been curious when it was added.

When I went back and remixed the song from the mogg's, and tuned the guitar down to being a backer to the orchestra, even with the original studio mix for TIL, the solo felt tacked on. The orchestra however flowed so organically with the song, like it was all written together.

I think Axl felt it was too Andrew Lloyd Webber, too Freddie Mercury, and panicked and feeling that every GN'R ballad needs a big guitar solo, called Robin in.

If any solo had to be on it, i'd rather have DJ's, but I was always curious was Richard wasn't used. Richard crushes them both on lead, and could've provided a nice Slash-touch to the song.

It's still bizarre how Robin was used on that song. And all that beating off to the solo by the Robinites got old. Never got it. Even for Robin, it kinda sucks as a solo. All DJ did was come in and repair the parts that didn't flow right. Duck taped it so to speak. DJ didn't fix it, he just made the song work live.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

You are probably right about him feeling it was too un-GNR, but it was actually Robin who convinced him to put it on CD. The solo was already there then.

AtariLegend wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

You are probably right about him feeling it was too un-GNR, but it was actually Robin who convinced him to put it on CD. The solo was already there then.

It would be fascinating to hear to hear the 92/98 version of this track.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Good to see you again James, I personally think that This I Love didn't have a solo. At all.

I've always felt Robin's additional solo to This I Love was a late addition, and i've always been curious when it was added.

When I went back and remixed the song from the mogg's, and tuned the guitar down to being a backer to the orchestra, even with the original studio mix for TIL, the solo felt tacked on. The orchestra however flowed so organically with the song, like it was all written together.

I think Axl felt it was too Andrew Lloyd Webber, too Freddie Mercury, and panicked and feeling that every GN'R ballad needs a big guitar solo, called Robin in.

If any solo had to be on it, i'd rather have DJ's, but I was always curious was Richard wasn't used. Richard crushes them both on lead, and could've provided a nice Slash-touch to the song.

It's still bizarre how Robin was used on that song. And all that beating off to the solo by the Robinites got old. Never got it. Even for Robin, it kinda sucks as a solo. All DJ did was come in and repair the parts that didn't flow right. Duck taped it so to speak. DJ didn't fix it, he just made the song work live.

Buckethead did the original solo. then Robin re did it. that was one of the things that pissed BH off because when Robin came back he re did some of BHs solos.

I spoke to Patty the lady who did the harp on this I love, and she said when she worked on the song the solo on it was BHs.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Buckethead did the original solo. then Robin re did it. that was one of the things that pissed BH off because when Robin came back he re did some of BHs solos.

I spoke to Patty the lady who did the harp on this I love, and she said when she worked on the song the solo on it was BHs.

Wow, I would love to hear the Bucket solo to that. I always thought it should have a Bucket solo. His mellow work is his best.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

TIL has the worst lyrics Axl has ever sung.

You're fucking crazy. Fall To Pieces is a Danger Danger-reject song compared to This I Love. Fall To Pieces sonically is ace. Weiland cheapened it.

Axl is the only guy that could do it right.

This I Love was always better with JUST the orchestra and not that suckass solo from Robin. BUT if ANYONE could get that solo right and make This I Love a proper guitar-driven song, it's Slash.

How about placing the FTP solo on TIL?  13

You're right...the fan mixes of TIL were better. I'd love to hear any alternate solos Axl considered for TIL, especially any from Bucket. Axl going to Finck specifically for this track makes little sense to me. Did Axl not listen to Electric Tears back then?

I didn't see this James until just now, but exactly what I was thinking.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Are you fucking shittin' me Dave? There was a Bucket solo on that goddamn thing, and they took it off? For Robin?

Some fuckin' bullshit dumbass Axl did with Shackler's. Let's take a song that's basically a Bucket solo song, and put Ron on it.

GREAT idea... roll

Ron butchering Catcher-studio too. Ruined that song. The demo was one of GNR's best.

Some of the decisions... and like the others, i'd love to hear the version that Bucket recorded.

dave-gnfnr

dave-gnfnr wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Are you fucking shittin' me Dave? There was a Bucket solo on that goddamn thing, and they took it off? For Robin?

Some fuckin' bullshit dumbass Axl did with Shackler's. Let's take a song that's basically a Bucket solo song, and put Ron on it.

GREAT idea... roll

Ron butchering Catcher-studio too. Ruined that song. The demo was one of GNR's best.

Some of the decisions... and like the others, i'd love to hear the version that Bucket recorded.

that is what Patty told me when I spoke to her back in the day. She said when she did her harp for the song, BH was doing the solo.

Like I said in the other post. that is why BH hated Robin and you could tell on stage because there are videos of BH being a dick to Robin .

BH was pissed because he did a lot of work on the songs then Robin came back like he never left and Axl and Finck redo some of BHs solos for the album and that pissed off BH.

This I love must have been one of them, not sure what the others are.  But think about this.

There is a version of CD out there with BH doing all the leads and not much Robin. I love Robin but I would love to hear those tracks that had mostly BH solos

And to be fair, Axl could have just cut and pasted some of Robins guitar work when he came back to the band and Robin had no clue that he even did it. But it still pissed off BH from what I remember.

I cant imagine what BH thinks that Ron shitted all over some of his songs like Shacklers Revenge.  Even Rons Rhiad solo is shit compared to the leak that had BH on it.

I want to hear the SR version with BHs solos not Rons.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I would kill Slash to hear Bucket's version of CD.

bucket ftw

dave-gnfnr

dave-gnfnr wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I would kill Slash to hear Bucket's version of CD.

bucket ftw

the funny thing is there is a version of CD without BH. We got IRS and TWAT without BH . then there is a version of CD will tons of BH solos (I'm sure Robin is still on the album though ), then there are versions with both of them like the leaks from that dude that got arrested.

Then we have the shitty album versions with Ron replacing some of BHs work.

I remember reading a story where Richard Fortus has a bunch of CDs that were a number of different cuts of CD songs with different people playing on each one.  Pretty funny if you think about it. There is probably like 10 versions of each song.

I mean just think of how many versions of better we have and that is just the number of them that leaked out, not even the ones that we never got.

Board footer