You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Howard Stern talks GNR Coachella reunion

johndivney wrote:

They won't tho. You'll hear diddly squat. I agree w/SG that Coachella in a sense is promo. He'll we've had the promo these last few months. Unless AEG come up with something like the Star Wars ad again. All we'll get is radio ads & concert posters as has been the way of every GnR tour since '93. Slash & Duff'll be gagged from talking to the press too, & even when it's over.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
johndivney wrote:

They won't tho. You'll hear diddly squat. I agree w/SG that Coachella in a sense is promo. He'll we've had the promo these last few months. Unless AEG come up with something like the Star Wars ad again. All we'll get is radio ads & concert posters as has been the way of every GnR tour since '93. Slash & Duff'll be gagged from talking to the press too, & even when it's over.

We'll see in the spring. I can understand waiting on doing interviews and such until after Coachella. But if we still get nothing after that, then I guess you'd be right. It's possible. Van Halen didn't really do any press after reuniting with Dave even after they started touring.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I don't buy it. Unless they all collaborate on a BIG personal "Some Kind of Monster" (without all the pussification). People are going to want to know the GN'R story on some level, and not as a scripted-film, but some sort of retrospective. Netflix. SOME-THING.

They're not going to just start this thing off, and just go out and perform and NO ONE is allowed to talk to the press, including Slash & Duff. Not unless there's future plans.

Then again, maybe Axl sees all this as a "Dallas" dream season situation. He's just gonna delete everything that happened from 1994-2015, and pick up with Guns circa 1993, which is kinda cool too.

Imagine Axl, Slash, Richard, Duff, Frank, Dizzy & Chris picking up in 2016 like it was 1994, and just moving forward. Forget all the negative bullshit and just revive Guns and make up lost time. New music, tours, and Axl actually DOING what Richard, Dizzy & Chris have all claimed and let Axl an "his artistry" do the talking.

faldor

faldor wrote:

I would think they'd need to do a little something to help fill stadiums or whatever venues they may play thereafter. And if they're truly happy, and I hope they are, they should want to talk. It's like when you fall in love and want to tell it to the world.

Sort of like this

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

They're not going to just start this thing off, and just go out and perform and NO ONE is allowed to talk to the press, including Slash & Duff. Not unless there's future plans.

Not that I know of their plans, or lack thereof,

but recall the brouhaha that went off from Slash's soundbyte to Aftonbladet.

They all stonewalled and the social media sort of convinced itself of the matter.

They noticed that, you can bet on it.
Slash already tried fishing on 'tensions' on CBS in May.

Funny enough, DJ was still in the band at the time.
The rest of us were waiting for a Stay of Execution.

They wanted their thing to be brought out slowly.
Suddenly, it's public knowledge that Axl and Slash get along.

It needed to come from Slash, the media darling. The Good Son.
Axl was without a guitar player, anyway. Perfect sense.

So, next up, Coachella. They'll certainly get coverage.
It's a big pay-day for them, so the festival will promote it.

Those who opt out of Coachella get the digital version.
The new band is out in the social media in a heartbeat.

At that point, Rolling Stone comes begging for a buck and a dime.
Followed by several others.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Aaahh, slick.

Free publicity. Let them come to you. Makes sense, and so far, it's payed off. It also helps when rock is DEAD, and there is basically NOTHING of real interest going on. One could also argue the overall music scene as well. Nothing really important has happened in awhile and Iggy Azalea was a complete media/producer created hype.

The GN'R reunion thing is growing organically right now.

faldor

faldor wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

Aaahh, slick.

Free publicity. Let them come to you. Makes sense, and so far, it's payed off. It also helps when rock is DEAD, and there is basically NOTHING of real interest going on. One could also argue the overall music scene as well. Nothing really important has happened in awhile and Iggy Azalea was a complete media/producer created hype.

The GN'R reunion thing is growing organically right now.

In a way, if they showed their hand right out of the gate then a lot of the anticipation would be gone. People might forget about it 15 minutes after they hear it. Soak it all in and move on. This way you leave a little bit of mystery surrounding the situation. Keep people on their toes. The risk they run here, ultra importance is put on their Coachella performance. You get one chance at a first impression. Especially if that's all the evidence that's available. Not that they couldn't recover from a subpar performance, but they'd have to put in a lot more effort. Unfortunately Axl's history of 1st show performances or those that are streamed online, leave a bit to be desired. I just hope it's different this time around.

johndivney wrote:

Don't forget they're also bound by a period of exclusivity w/Coachella (tho maybe that's limited to a regional thing?).
But even still, once that passes I think what you'll get is one of those typical press releases on Nightrain or the website, rather than a promo blitz where they're filling in the gaps in the story for those of us interested in such things.

It's just the impression I get off it. The vibe I feel is that Axl expects at this stage for promo to be handled by the promoters/label rather than the artist, y'know?

& just to echo what I said earlier, I think they way they've built it so far has been well done - without having actually done very much!
The excitement & fun has been building nicely instead of one small cumshot on a 3rd rate week night chat show, y'know??

faldor

faldor wrote:

The only reason I give a well oiled promotional blitz a chance is because of the inclusion of Slash and Duff. Casual fans would actually be interested in hearing from them, whereas that wasn't really the case with DJ, Ron, and Tommy. If Axl doesn't want to do the heavy lifting, he has other options. Unless he doesn't want anyone doing interviews, but I wouldn't see the point in that.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I want a Stern interview just for Axl's reaction when he gets asked how big his dick is.

Board footer