You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Reunited GUNS N' ROSES To Play New T-Mobile Arena In Las Vegas

johndivney wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Don't see them giving up on the Euro festivals. Lots of money and PR there.

I meant more the major ones, but yea it's still early in the year.

AtariLegend wrote:
sp1at wrote:

Reading have announced in March before, there is no immediate rush

I'd have thought Axl would have learned before now after the previous times.

polluxlm wrote:

Funnily enough I seen a thread on MYGNR where people were suggesting Gun's wouldn't be selling out shows in Europe tongue.

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

I think the first shows will sell out, or at least do really well.

The novelty factor of having Slash and Duff back will sell tickets in the beginning. The second year will be harder

johndivney wrote:
sp1at wrote:

The novelty factor of having Slash and Duff back will sell tickets in the beginning. The second year will be harder

I love your optimism.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
sp1at wrote:

Reading have announced in March before, there is no immediate rush

I'd have thought Axl would have learned before now after the previous times.

polluxlm wrote:

Funnily enough I seen a thread on MYGNR where people were suggesting Gun's wouldn't be selling out shows in Europe tongue.

This is why MyGNR is such a hard read for me... some of the comments are just... full of idiocy. They won't sell out in Europe?

Listen folks, the ONLY place GN'R will struggle to sell out will be North America. Why?

Because the U.S. (not so much Canadians & Mexicans) are loaded with a bunch of bandwagon pussies that pay money to see, and only see, whatever TMZ is talking about. Americans do not have near the appreciation of music that i've seen from people elsewhere and internationally.

GN'R will have no problem internationally. Hell Axl was doing good business in Europe and GREAT business in South America, WITHOUT Slash.

They'll have no problem outside of America. None. Europe, South America, Japan, Australia... all will be big business imo.

sp1at wrote:

Depends on what people are getting. Right now I think people are starved for this. Rock is dead. Brand names sell, and right now brand names are all that's surviving. Hell, even AC/DC can do stadiums. Alot of people have compared GNR's situation with the Van Halen situation and that all of this came 10 years too late to the dance. I disagree wholeheartedly. While I will agree Axl waited FAR too long to drop Chinese, I wonder if this timing of the reunion was perfect, for the first time in Guns history, they have perfect timing. Had this happened 10 years ago, yes Axl would've been in shape, but Slash wouldn't have been. The acrimony would've been stronger, the hatred still deep seeded, especially after the 2005 fiasco, and VR being at their peak, while GN'R was thought dead until 2006, and again that was a false start, like 2002.  Axl was in the best shape all around he had been in the post-old days-era, singing with vigor and renewed energy, and was in GREAT shape. Slash on the other hand was secretly battling a pill addiction, a touch n' go marriage, a new issue with lead singer Weiland... there were issues. Izzy & Duff might've been on board, but Steven was not fully sober and was not psychologically ready for it. Now? A totally different story. GN'R are in a position to write their own return, repair their story, and write their own end game, and cement their legacy forever -- if this is done right. The only people who have stressed again and again that this is not a reunion is the media, to play up sensationalism and conflict for hits, and the diehards who all suck each others dicks. To the rest of the REAL WORLD, this is a full blown reunion, and although Eddie Trunk calls it "Slash joining Axl's band", do not underscore this -- Guns N' Roses -- THE REAL Guns N' Roses -- ARE BACK!

Those things appeal to ALOT of people. A-LOT. Van Halen should've reunited in 1996. 'Fo 'sho. Dave dicked it up, wanted to be there but didn't wanna behave to be there, and Eddie was an asshole right out of the gate, and made excuses why it couldn't happen, and it was a one-off moment that got blown up into something they never thought it would be, but like KISS at the same time, the iron was suddenly scorching hot, and VH followed it all up with bringing in a THIRD vocalist, which killed ALL credibility. Cherone was never gonna be accepted -- and wasn't. Then fast-forward to 10 years later and suddenly they had all drifted into parody territory and NEEDED a reunion. That's a different place.

GN'R isn't that. Maybe Duff & Steven or Matt, need the gig, but not the rest. Duff imo was coming back regardless of whether Slash returned. Izzy could care less, Dizzy's got a good job with Axl wherever Axl goes, Slash had built his own brand finally to a place that he had become a successful solo artist, enough that he abandoned the VR band or any plans for a third album, and although Axl wasn't doing anything earth-shattering, Axl can still book gigs and do a few thousand people a night to a point that it would make most groups jealous of their business.

If they WANT this, and not just for the money, but truly WANT this, and not NEED this, like VH, the energy put into these shows could be killer. GN'R, unlike Van Halen, are still young enough that their music still appeals to a broad demographic, much broader than a VH. Most of GNR's classic back catalog is still played on modern rock radio (unlike Van Halen... well except for Running With The Devil), and their branding still has a hip-vibe to it, and not "your dad's favorite band" like VH. Even when this announcement came, it trended with people who go viral in this day and age, unlike VH. VH reuniting appealed to all of rock. GN'R reuniting appealed to all of mainstream music.

Different story. If Axl comes in and kills ala 2006-07 & 2010, and/or GN'R have all these wild bs stories everywhere about whatever the fuck and it trends, they could ride this wave for awhile, and not only make alot of money, not only have people coming to their door to do business, but also sellout everywhere they go (for the most part).

If VH had reunited in 1996 with DLR, they would've easily soldout stadiums everywhere. But their music didn't hold in a way GNR's did, and they were never mainstream media's favorite crazy whore to sensationalize like GN'R was. GN'R is a totally different beast.

In other words, I think GN'R will be able to sell out stadiums internationally, and headline festivals with this lineup for years to come. In North America, I think stadiums initially for the first couple years, but after that I think it'll dwindle to a point it's reverted to either 2/3 full stadiums, or selling out arenas. But even if it's that, they'll pack arenas to the brim.

Whatever it is, they're gonna be rolling in the green. Easy.

My biggest hope is that this is it for GN'R. Even for 10 days, it's been really great to feel PROUD to be a GN'R fan again. For alot of years it was a dirty word, because it was "Axl N' Roses" or "the Axl Rose solo band" or "Rose N' Roses", etc. To be a fan of this band now, I feel like i'm in a place i've never been in in my modern lifetime. I feel like THE BAND is back and that... I don't know... I feel more WHOLE again as a fan. I now look at GN'R again, the same way I look at Soundgarden or AIC or Pearl Jam or Metallica, etc.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I'd like to see a GNR /Metallica co-headlining stadium tour year two.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Hah, then we can have a contest for who sounds worse... Axl or James?

Last time I heard James, Axl sounded vintage on AFDem. Hetfield was sounded like he vocally was... kinda finished.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Vegas arena will hold 20,000. That is the tour they should be doing, not stadiums. They should be able to easily sell out arenas at 20,000 per show and you could still get big money doing it.

I agree. I still find it difficult to fathom a stadium tour. Either way, I'll be in the front row if they come to Vegas.

Nik
 Rep: 6 

Nik wrote:
misterID wrote:

I'd like to see a GNR /Metallica co-headlining stadium tour year two.

I'd like more a GNR / Soundgarden

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I would love SG as well, but I don't know if it's a big enough ticket. In a scenario like that, SG would just be considered an higher-end opener. Tack on Alice In Chains to the ticket... AIC / SG / GN'R -- that's a comparable ticket to "Metallica" / GN'R.

I'd actually argue the only other big name out there on that level left from GNR's heyday, is Metallica, and frankly it'd probably be smart if they made friends again, because BOTH could use each other right now for their brands. Ironically, maybe Metallica needs GN'R more, at this second.

I don't see GN'R touring with Bon Jovi anytime soon.

Board footer