You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Looks like rehearsals have started!

Smoking Guns wrote:

James, it is all about Vegas now... Coachella is getting sloppy seconds..

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

James, it is all about Vegas now... Coachella is getting sloppy seconds..

Yeah I've been gone for days and just now catching up on the latest news. I wish there could've been a way to let hardcore fans know that they didn't need to focus on Coachella because something else was coming but that would have been impossible in today's media climate.

Coachella was selling out no matter what. So will these Vegas shows. GNR are in an interesting position at the moment. I'm about to read the Vegas thread right now. I'll resume that discussion there.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Very interesting point. This would help explain the way it went from a massive hype initially to virtual silence. They are unsure themselves on how far to take this.

I don't think they are unsure. For the promo arrangement to be the way it is with Axl/Slash/Duff, other business dealings were done. This is a done deal. Slash & Duff are back in -- all the way

But I think this might be a case of "no news is bad news". GNR's camp is "no news is good news", so maybe all is well, but I do wonder if something as simple as bringing back Slash to replace DJ/Ron, and Duff to replace Tommy, was blown up to all of this "Appetite lineup or fuck off" type stuff, and they right now are letting everyone in the industry get into a bidding war for a summer tour, wait for the contracts to be signed (just like Coachella), get their money guaranteed, and then all of the sudden drop the bombshell after all the dates are guaranteed that Izzy, Steven & Matt aren't returning in any form, and that the band, firm, is Axl, Slash, Richard, Duff, Frank, Dizzy & Chris. Period.

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

Found this on the VH website...looks like Duff, Matt, and Gilby were playing as recently as four days ago.

January 17 at 5:14pm ·

Adam Levine and I were hanging out last night in Cabo and ended up on stage at the Wabo playing some AC/DC and Guns and Roses - it was killer, and he's a good drummer for real!

During the solo on Sweet Child O Mine, Kari and I did some dancing while Adam was playing drums. That guitar solo is too long so I needed a dance partner-- ha ha!

Earlier that night Matt Sorum and the Kings of Chaos were playing a private in a little 100 seat restaurant around the corner so I stopped by and sang Rock 'n' Roll with Billy F Gibbons, Steve Stevens, Gilby Clarke, Matt and Duff McKagan. It was killer!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Very interesting point. This would help explain the way it went from a massive hype initially to virtual silence. They are unsure themselves on how far to take this.

I don't think they are unsure. For the promo arrangement to be the way it is with Axl/Slash/Duff, other business dealings were done. This is a done deal. Slash & Duff are back in -- all the way

I should've worded that differently. Obviously it is a done deal....I was referring to the spectacle of this shindig. They knew it would get attention but this is  THE music event of the decade. Hell.....society is about three shakes of a lamb's tail away from great grandmas snake dancing down the street in excitement. Regardless of how into it they are and how many contracts have been signed, it has to be a "moment of pause" for lack of a better term.

They have ONE shot at this. There are no mulligans at this juncture.

Earlier that night Matt Sorum and the Kings of Chaos were playing a private in a little 100 seat restaurant around the corner so I stopped by and sang Rock 'n' Roll with Billy F Gibbons, Steve Stevens, Gilby Clarke, Matt and Duff McKagan. It was killer!

Thanks for posting that skippy. This news would be much more intriguing if KOC didn't perform on a semi regular basis. The timing is interesting though.....it confirms that Gilby is not totally out of the loop like fans assumed because it most certainly would've been brought up. He has likely already been told he is out of the picture or they might throw him a morsel FAR down the line.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Duff, Slash, Matt, Dave, Gilby are ALL good friends. Been that way for a long time. Izzy is friends too but not social like the others. Basically everyone from the 92-93 Illussion Tour is very close sans Axl.

johndivney wrote:

If anything the SCoM solo is too short!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Duff, Slash, Matt, Dave, Gilby are ALL good friends. Been that way for a long time. Izzy is friends too but not social like the others. Basically everyone from the 92-93 Illussion Tour is very close sans Axl.

Meh... me thinks Axl is tight with Izzy & Duff.

But you have to understand, Axl is under an entirely different situation than the rest of them are. People now look to Axl to be the Captain of the ship. If Axl Instagram's his dinner with Izzy or Duff, suddenly it's "oh my GAWD, new GN'R album on the WAY!!!!"

Axl has brand-considerations that the others don't have to think about once. Maybe that will change now that Slash & Duff are going to be looked at as GN'R. But then again, look at Slash & Duff in GN'R right now. Complete silence. That's all Axl and having them sign NDA's.

I still think Gilby pops up down the line just for a walk on for some Wild Horses and maybe a Paradise City appearence, just as a wink wink, nudge nudge.

Axl has been on good terms with Gilby since 2000. He just doesn't want him back in the band, because he has no interest in writing with him. Same with Sorum.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Gilby didn't make the cut for Snakepit 2 or Velvet Revolver though.

Not saying Slash dislikes him or anything, but I think that connection was played out.

Rhythm spot makes sense to go to Richard: Axl would have noticed richard's loyalty, he looks like izzy (ha!), Slash likes him too, and he's a rock solid pro guitarist and a better technical player than either Izzy, Gilby or Dave. Plus he's already in the damn band...it doesn't make sense for the rhythm to be anyone other than richard - except maybe Izzy if he wanted to come back full time...but yeah...that doesn't sound like izzy!

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I agree...and I never thought I'd say it...but 4tus makes the most sense

Board footer