You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Glenn Frey dead

AtariLegend wrote:

R.I.P.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

My favorite Felder tune of all time (including Eagles)

This riff is all-time classic fucking rock. Felder never sounded better.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Walsh was a legend based on this song alone....didn't need Rocky Mountain Way. 16 Best song from Hell Freezes Over...

Just fyi, regarding that MTV Unplugged deal where Frey showed up at Henley's gig... at that time Henley was still riding the wave of success after Boys of Summer. Henley I think didn't feel he needed The Eagles, and it certainly wasn't on his priority list.

Henley wasn't ready yet. His solo career was still thriving. The End of Innocence was like 6x Plat. and although it was deeper, it still spawned several hits, like the title track and The Heart of the Matter.

The End of the Innocence is one of the best albums of the 80s and certainly the best album of 1989. He's having a mid life crisis and turns it into magic. Beautiful lyrics throughout that album. Title track alone can bring tears to my eyes.

Remember when the days were long
And rolled beneath a deep blue sky
Didn't have a care in the world
With mommy and daddy standin' by
But happily ever after fails
And we've been poisoned by these fairy tales....

That's deep shit that literally anyone alive can relate to on a gut level.

The reason the reunion(at least a one off at Unplugged) should've happened there is they were still on fire. Frey's career going downhill and the others as well but at that point it could've led to a creative spark instead of the nostalgia fueled reunion we got five years later. The two new songs for Hell Freezes Over(BOTH hits btw) showed they would've been capable of hitting a grand slam had it happened earlier.

Yeah Henley didn't need them at the time but its unfortunate his ego had to get in the way(sound familiar?).

AtariLegend wrote:

What's the best Eagles album after "Hotel California" that you guys would recommend?

James

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

What's the best Eagles album after "Hotel California" that you guys would recommend?

Some would consider this blasphemy but I'd recommend The Long Run. It's their last album before the reunion but has killer hits and deep cuts that stack up right next to them. King of Hollywood is my favorite song from this album although In the City gives it a run for its money.

This song is great too....

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

One Of These Nights.

James

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

One Of These Nights.

The title track contains the greatest bass tone in history. On a killer stereo it will give me chills.

Some of Ben Shepherd's tones were definitely influenced by this(and Paul McCartney tongue ).

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Glenn Frey and "The Heat is On" was my first Eagles experience. Used to watch those day time, 80s collection commercials they were doing on the crap channels, and Frey was in one of them. Remember thinking that was a cool song. Knew nothing about the Eagles at that point.

Hotel California still holds up despite being overplayed for 30 years.

James

James wrote:

The Heat is On your first Eagles experience? Showing your youth there buddy. 16

Yeah that Hotel California outro deserves the universal respect it gets.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The Long Run is a great album and is definitely the pickup if your looking for post-Hotel California. Never understood the shade that was thrown towards that album by casual rock critics. The band was about to break up, yet I think to this day Timothy Schmidt doesn't get the credit he deserves, coming in and replacing Randy Meisner, and yet it seemed like he was treated as an imposter at the time. Feldor must've felt REALLY SLIGHTED considering there was a huge war growing between him & Frey within the band, the war over Feldor getting lead vocals on his songs, and yet Schmidt walks right in to the band, post-Hotel, and gets a lead vocal on cut 2. Frey & Henley might as well said "FUCK YOU FELDOR" on the track while they were at it. There was supposedly resentment there and they were hanging on by a thread.

Regardless, The Long Run finds The Eagles still at their zenith. It's a great album.

Which leads me to The Heat Is On. That's the weird thing about their solo work. At least with Henley, Frey, and Feldor's early-80's stuff, they just sound like lost Eagles cuts. It didn't shock me at all when they reunited, they started working their solo hits into the Eagles setlists.

Board footer