You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Izzy reportedly in GN'R and wrote new music

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Well, to be fair, he took off Brian May and let Bumble solo instead. BRIAN FUCKING MAY.

He removed the solo, but didn't shit can the song and start over. He pasted Mays solo on the song and removed it when Robin came back.

But wasn't that Bumble on the solo? 

Remember what May said about those sessions, "Axl still hasn't found his replacement for Slash", and he never did actually. Axl prefers Slash to all guitar players, especially for Guns.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Well, to be fair, he took off Brian May and let Bumble solo instead. BRIAN FUCKING MAY.

He removed the solo, but didn't shit can the song and start over. He pasted Mays solo on the song and removed it when Robin came back.

But wasn't that Bumble on the solo? 

Remember what May said about those sessions, "Axl still hasn't found his replacement for Slash", and he never did actually. Axl prefers Slash to all guitar players, especially for Guns.

Bumble and Robin are on that track.

No, Robin had left and May said Axl was depressed because he was emotionally attached to Robin's guitar work, and sounds like a knee jerk reaction to bring in May in the first place. I think Axl likes what he likes, and obviously has a connection with Slash. Bucket and Robin were perfect for the period of that line up, but that's over.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Pretty sure Bucket (or so i'm told), recorded an entire solo for This I Love, before Robin, and it was canned completely for Robin's version.

So to poll, I wouldn't assume Axl's clinging to Bucket's leftovers and telling Slash to go sit in the corner. Axl has gotten rid of Bucket's stuff in several occasions. Hell, he let Ron, a far far FAR inferior guitarist re-recorded Bucket's practically written track, Shackler's Revenge as well.

I stand by my statement from the get. ALL of the Chinese stuff, including CD I, is right back on the table, with the hope Slash will touch it up with some of his special sauce, and have it re-packaged. I don't think it'll be a shock at all to see a Slash-ized CD II release, with a remixed CD I was a bonus disc and some other goodies, marketed as a double-disc.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Valid points indeed but I highly doubt we ever get a reworked CD I. Would make its history/legacy even worse. More likely IMO is years from now getting the Beavan sessions(the REAL Chinese Democracy) in a box set.

Now CD II(or some of it) definitely in play. I agree...as much as I love Bucket's herbs and spices...they are not untouchable. As you brought up...if Ron wanking can take the place of pure gold, Slash sure as shit can.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Agreed, and like I said -- it will be a requirement. Uni isn't gonna just take whatever Axl offers them, just because Slash is touring with the band. Because based on what ID is theorizing, he's basically saying Slash being a touring guitarist for Guns, buys Axl favor with Uni to put out the Chinese leftovers, so to speak.

Slash is gonna have to have some involvement on those songs. People will expect it. The media will scrutinize it to death. If GN'R puts out a single, with Slash, then the bait n' switch to the album that is Slash-less, but with Bucket, Robin, and maybe even DJ & Ron, the media is gonna tear it apart, even though casuals would listen to DJ's solos, and go "oh my God, Slash killed it here!!!" No different than the people that ran all over the internet during the initial leaks in 2008 trying to convince the fanbase that all the guitar work on If The World, was Richard Fortus, when it was Bucket. Sorry was another one "Fortus was all over", and it was Bucket.

Hopefully Slash is willing to do it, not just for the fans, but to repair Axl's legacy. That's why I say CD I gets a re-work. Axl HATED how Uni rolled that album out, which is why he was defiant in touring the mother fucker for basically a decade with numerous different lineups. Don't be shocked if This I Love, Maddy, Street of Dreams, Chinese & Better all become staples of the GN'R setlist for years to come -- even with Slash & Duff in the band. Axl isn't going to just let it go. This isn't a KISS reunion. Or Deep Purple. Axl is more like David Coverdale in this scenario, if David Coverdale had agreed to let Richie Blackmore, John Sykes & Adrian Vandenburg all into Whitesnake. Like DC, who's toured WS for years playing a mixture of WS classics mixed with a select of staples from the Mk. III & Mk. IV lineups of Deep Purple. So much to the point Whitesnake's last record (with ANOTHER lineup) was a (fairly decent) WS-rerecord of a never-gonna-be-released-ever Deep Purple best-of from the Mk. III & IV lineups of Deep Purple. Some fans loved it. Some fans hated it. But with "all the love" DC had for doing it, it was still seen as DC's ego being DC's ego.

Axl is no different than Coverdale. Those Chinese songs ain't going anywhere, but being Axl decided to do what Coverdale's ego would never let him do in Whitesnake, Axl is now in a spot where Uni is going to demand those songs have some Slash prescence to re-sell.

Even in a GN'R "Echo of Miles" scenario, I still think Uni will require AT LEAST a Slash-performed, Slash-produced, so-called "Real GN'R" album to be delivered and released FIRST, before even considering to release Axl's so-called "vault".

Nature of the beast. That's like doing Lethal Weapon 6 with Gibson & Glover, and then going back and releasing Lethal Weapon 5 with two different actors. It just isn't going to work. And the more and more I think about it, the less and less sense it makes.

Slash is going to have to go back and work on that entire vault.

And if he does, regardless of money, kudos to Slash. What a BIG MAN to go back and repair Axl's legacy for him. He'd literally be saving Axl's legacy. Maybe that would be Slash's ultimate "i'm sorry" to Axl, for how everything went down and become so personal? I also think the more promo that goes on, the more it will be pushed as the Axl, Slash & Duff show. All these people that think Richard, Frank, Dizzy & Chris are going to get some sort of props... puhleese.

As soon as they put out that press release with Axl, Slash & Duff as the center of GN'R, the whole goddamn ball game changed overnight. I still think this is a dream season-scenario. They're going to pretend (kind of like KISS), that what came before, never happened, yet at the exact same time, they'll be culling music from that period in order to produce new material, i.e. Carnival of Souls, Psycho Circus, and their random soundtrack & box set songs from that period.

Enter GN'R 2016

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah when the reunion hoopla first started...first thing that entered my head when thinking of CD II was Carnival of Souls. I thought GNR/UMG MIGHT release it under the radar before the reunion actually happened. They didn't.  Now its at Psycho Circus mode...if we're lucky.

UMG will absolutely cash in on this reunion. Something is going to be released in 2016 and 2017.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

GN'R was never, ever, ever going to put out their own Carnival of Souls. Axl is not Paul/Gene. I wished Axl was. I would've loved if from 1998-2014, we would've gotten the GN'R-equivalent of Creatures of the Night, War Machine, I Love It Loud, Who Wants To Be Lonely, Tears Are Falling, Trial By Fire, Lick It Up, Thrills In The Night, Uh! All Night, Reason To Live, Crazy Crazy Nights, Turn On The Night, Forever, You Love Me To Hate You, Hide Your Heart, Unholy, God Gave Rock N' Roll To You II, Domino, I Just Wanna.... to name a few.

I don't give a damn how cheesy, how 80's any of those songs are... they are surprisingly good for an entire decade Paul & Gene without the makeup, without the gimmick, without "the other two", were selling gold records, and big hit singles.

Could you imagine? Could you imagine if during that 1998-2014 period that Axl had put out 6 full albums, plus a live album, plus a Greatest Hits set (with songs from that era)?

If Axl had all those songs in his back pocket, he could do anything he wanted. Even take his music solo, while still recording under the GN'R banner.

Then again Paul & Gene seemingly blew their creative loads in the 80's. They have recorded anything worth a damn since the "Psycho Circus" single, and that ballad (can't remember the name) that was a Diane Warren-collab that was on the Detroit Rock City soundtrack in 1999, that sounded like KISS's version of "Don't Wanna Miss A Thing", and was arguably better than Aerosmith imo.

But enough about KISS -- Axl isn't Paul/Gene. He doesn't record that way. In the 25 years since UYI, we've basically gotten a covers LP, two live albums, a non-sanctioned compilation disc, two soundtrack singles, and an original studio LP. In 25 years. That SUCKS.

Axl's gonna hold all of his "Carnival of Souls" cards back for his "Psycho Circus" release. The leftovers, like the true version of Oh My God, Silkworms, some of the stuff Dizzy & Chris have teased for years from that 1998-2000 period, will probably be the primarily release later on. The rest will be Bucket chunks.

Axl's ballads, which even on CD I, were basically UYI III leftovers, will be held back again, because... well... it's what Axl does? Why would Axl give away what big Guns he has left on a throwaway Carnival of Souls release?

Yeah... he'll wait. But yeah, hopefully GNR's Psycho Circus is around the corner. But... you know... ALOT FUCKING BETTER. 14

Board footer