You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

Re: Netflix's "House Of Cards"

slcpunk wrote:

I can't stay enough about this series. Spacey is fantastic, but so is the rest of the cast. Probably one of the best shows I've seen in years.

Has anybody else watched this?

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

I have watched it and I agree.  It's an amazing show.  The show definitely has a premium feel to it as well. 

The one thing that was distracting was the commercials.  Now I  know, you are saying "But it's commercial free!"  Yes and no.  The commercials are built into the show, even built into the story at times.  Like the reference to the PS Vita, or all the Apple products, or that one dude being a photographer and Canon equipment being featured prominently- even a Canon photo printer, and not a standard one, a huge one to make huge prints. 

In fact, that whole character seemed contrived to sell that lifestyle. 

Hopefully they find a better balance next season.  I don't mind the commercial elements of it, would just like them to be less distracting.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

You know it's funny, is that I never even noticed that! I guess I was too enthralled with the story line.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I haven't watched it, but I saw it up on Netflix stream the day it dropped.

Haven't seen Spacey on any television in a long time, but years ago that short Mel Profitt arc he did on the series Wiseguy, he was absolutely Emmy-worthy. Spacey is a helluva actor, no matter what screen he's on.

I do like that Netflix is branching out into original programming. It opens up a new avenue to TV, and also gives other series a second chance at original episodes post-cancellation.

AtariLegend wrote:

A few hours to go until the binge watching starts.

Fingers crossed the season doesn't revolve around Claire and Doug again. I honestly watch this show for Spacey, last season was a letdown.

johndivney wrote:
Saikin wrote:

The one thing that was distracting was the commercials.  Now I  know, you are saying "But it's commercial free!"  Yes and no.  The commercials are built into the show, even built into the story at times.  Like the reference to the PS Vita, or all the Apple products, or that one dude being a photographer and Canon equipment being featured prominently- even a Canon photo printer, and not a standard one, a huge one to make huge prints.

this. after watching it i dreamt of blackberry's & iphones. like the apple logo was burned into the back of my eyelids.
i watched the first season (& the first couple of s02) but couldn't be bothered with it.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I watched Season 1, but it's a hard watch for me. It's SOOOO GOOOD, but it's also VERY accurate about America's current political system.

I can't watch it without getting VERY infuriated. So I just skip it...

Spacey deserves lifetime Emmy's for the role of Frank Underwood though. Reminds me alot of Larry Hagman & J.R. Ewing with his southern charm and devious ways.

AtariLegend wrote:
johndivney wrote:

this. after watching it i dreamt of blackberry's & iphones. like the apple logo was burned into the back of my eyelids.
i watched the first season (& the first couple of s02) but couldn't be bothered with it.

I'd like to be able to make an argument as to why you should watch the rest, but you've already watched the high point.

The show goes down hill fast and around and around in circles. It's a show that needed to be 2-3 seasons long max with less episodes. Instead it's 13 episodes per a season with 2-3 moments of plot advancement (including the latest season).

Too much focus on side characters and Claire (Spacey's wife in the show). The characters just seem to go into loop and flip-flop, both season 3-4 could easily have been 1 season and even then it would have been underwhelming.

That's as much as I can say without spoilers. It's one of these shows I watch, just because I started it. I feel an urge to finish it since I've already given it so much time.

The actual current US election is actually much more interesting than this TV version.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Atari yeah the hype for this season seems less than last year.   I think last season (3) was a letdown. I think 2 things, first they rushed Underwood into the Presidency to soon.  I think it was the end of season 1.  TBH they should've kept him a senator for 2 or 3 seasons. Secondly, last year focused too much on Claire.  While Robin Wright is excellent at the part ( I think she won an Emmy), she was better staying off just the wife and maybe running the charity.  Becoming Secretary of State or whatever was a little absurd, then resigning & hitting the campaign trail?  It seemed a bit far fetched for a first lady & I think was only done to incorporate her more into the storyline.

Great show tho, I like Doug Stamper (Underwoods former assistant who limps now), he's a great character & plays the part well.  I felt they allowed his replacement & the guy writing the book into their circle too quickly too. A bit unrealistic also, to do that so soon.

Board footer