You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Slash and Duff working on CD II according to MSL

Smoking Guns wrote:

Monkey have some faith damnit. Haha

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Monkey have some faith damnit. Haha

LOL

I used to.

I'm a broken man.

Don't get me wrong, I'm so insanely excited about new music it's not funny. I'll buy it first second.

However this band doesn't function according to normal music business parameters. It hasn't since Axl got control. The only reason it vaguely did in the AFD era was because Axl didn't have complete control. So unless his personal circumstances change and he finds the need to do business according to industry norms  again, whatever we get will follow the normal Team Brazil patterns.

Which means things will come out, but they'll come out late, silently, with no promo or otherwise slightly incorrect.....lol

I mean it's 2016.

Axl was "looking seriously" at putting a record out next in 2014. In 2008 he joked that it could happen in 2009. But he played silkworms live 15 years ago and it's not out. FIFTEEN YEARS.

I guess one day it might happen. But everything about this reunion just says that Slash and Duff gave in and finally joined Axl's band on his terms. I've seen absolutely nothing from Axl that suggests a "compromise" that would involve him changing how he does things to suit Slash and co.

I am actually hopeful we'll see a track or two. But those of you expecting a return to the UYI era are going to see a whole lot of disappointment I think.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I know the view around here is that Slash and Duff will turn this record back to contraband or AFD....

I expect nothing of the kind. Them reworking some CD vault tracks is just that. I'm not expecting them to somehow create AFD out of it.

those of you expecting a return to the UYI era are going to see a whole lot of disappointment I think.

AFD-UYI era was the Beatlemania of the 80s- 90s. I'm NOT expecting that...especially in the culture we live in today.

Lets say Atlas Shrugged gets a release tomorrow....

forums go ape shit
it trends on Twitter/FB/etc.
fans download it on Itunes/Amazon/whatever
fans stream it on youtube/Rhapsody/spotify
fans buy tickets to shows
media outlets cover its release

a few days later its stopped trending, media moves on, hardcore fans keep listening, ticket sales continue

That's how it works. The days of seeing any band/artist get 24/7 coverage is over.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Lets put it another way.

Bumblefoot recorded on those songs in 2006-2007.

Dj Ashba recorded on them in 2009-2011.

Nothing has been released.

In terms of Axl suddenly deciding to empty the vault - why is this different?

I suppose if the theory was that Axl found all guitarists other than slash uninspiring he might have always been waiting until he found that right part...and wasn't able to do it with the previous guitarists....but it seems that lack of guitar ability has never been the problem for nu-GNR.

The issue is the label, the business side, and Axl himself.

Now the label would sure like Slash and Duff on the track...but probably only if they're pumping out hit style songs....but if they're just adding their own take to tracks along the lines of Riad and Scrapped.....I dunno....

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

The difference is that this time it's Axl and Slash and Duff, the bankable, iconic members of GN'R, and not Axl and his funny friends. The label would get behind My World if those guys were playing on it. And by all accounts Atlas Shrugged is one of the big hitters, so it was always one of the likely candidates for re-recording.

One thing, though: this release has to be a best of, not a Greatest Hits II. The back catalogue of GN'R is so limited that trying to put together a second Greatest Hits album will come across as an exercise in barrel-scraping. They need to hook the casual fans with this, and the casual fans want/expect SCOM and November Rain and Civil War.

The thing that saddens me slightly is that I doubt we'll ever hear the Buckethead/Finck era material now. That's a small niggle in the grand scheme of things – I keep having to pinch myself every time I remember that Axl Rose and Slash will be sharing the stage again – but it's inevitable. Just as Axl tried to shift the focus away from the AFD/UYI era band when he was trying to push the Chinese Democracy era band(s) into the spotlight – by vetoing archive releases, refusing to turn up at the RN'RHOF , etc – the Chinese Democracy era stuff will be poison to the label and the promotional machine.

It'll be great for fans of the AFD/UYI era – with Axl and Slash on board, the floodgates could open for archive material like the Ritz gig(s), demos, etc. And we could get some new music from this hybrid band, which is hugely exciting – Slash and Richard Fortus trading licks will be amazing. But it'll be a long time before we get a Chinese Democracy sessions box set, if ever; we can only hope that a few tracks leak some day.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

The issue is the label, the business side, and Axl himself.

Now the label would sure like Slash and Duff on the track...but probably only if they're pumping out hit style songs....but if they're just adding their own take to tracks along the lines of Riad and Scrapped.....I dunno....

After OMG bombed in 99 many assumed Axl became insecure and started tinkering with the material forever. But then we got the Ezrin quote saying Axl was ready to release an "industrial album" in 01 or there about. However it was deemed not good enough for both Ezrin and the label.

That suggests Axl isn't "afraid" to release an album, but he needs support. With Slash and Duff back in the fold that support might return.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

I would say, without ever having met the man one-on-one, that Axl was ready to release the album, but the lack of the support from the label dissuaded him over time. What could've happened was that he'd finally felt done and the labels position made him fret, worry and rethink. When you have someone with such a nebulous sense of time, on Interscope's part that was like giving box of matches to a pyromaniac.

With ChiDem2, I think the reasons tying up the release are slightly different. Axl was visibly hurt and angered by what he saw as CD's rush-release and a BestBuy cashgrab. He had a point there. However, lashing out to Slash makes controversial headlines, but lashing out to Geffen creates (understandably) friction. Add up the industry changes and the fact that Guns, as an entity, is pretty much a dinosaur, and Axl may in this case suffer from a cognitive dissonance, wondering why Guns fails to score a marketing campaign.

Cognitive dissonance, by the way, is more of a state of mind than any sort of psychiatric illness wink

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:

This is bullshit obviously.
I'll never understand why you guys give MSL the time of day.

AtariLegend wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

I would say, without ever having met the man one-on-one, that Axl was ready to release the album, but the lack of the support from the label dissuaded him over time.

While I believe this. What never really added up is why Geffen/Interscope (the label name at the time is irrelevant) wouldn't have just took whatever Axl gave them back in the day as a cash grab. I do like Chinese Democracy, but even if it was awful in 2001... why wouldn't the label just release it anyway. It's not like there where many major acts at the time that only ever released classic albums, even Michael Jackson who probably would have been selling alot more albums wasn't above pumping out sub-par material (I'm talking 2001).

Deja Vu, I've asked this before haven't I?

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

It's a fair point though, there's plenty of big artists/bands who even with a quality back catalogue have put out the odd shocker.

Makes you wonder why they were such a stickler over CD? Perhaps the delivered product just didn't reflect the money they'd pumped in at that point.

Board footer