You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: DJ ASHBA: 'It's Hard For Me To Play Other People's Songs'

johndivney wrote:

Yea they've definitely misplaced that vibe. The attitude's been diluted. It still survives in the songs & on tape but as far as today goes they kinda depress me tbh!
After he got a bit of money Axl definitely changed. I mean that literally, it was almost like the first thing he did was get his teeth fixed ffs. The idea someone floated about his behaviour/personality just being magnified by money is certainly true but it doesn't make the (I don't want to call them betrayals cause that's too strong a word) contradictions any easier to swallow.
However, saying that, if I had the money believe me I could spend it in stupider ways than Axl.. Well.. Maybe.. I wouldn't be giving it to any fucking yoda's or priests for one thing tho.

johndivney wrote:
misterID wrote:

I remember MTV going apeshit over Bucket. They were really going to blow up had it been done right. They even did a little promo how Bucket had garnered his own following within the GNR fanbase. That lineup was cool.

I'm sure Robin never expected he'd be playing the hits for his career in GNR. I also make no bones that im a Finck homer. The worst thing Axl could have done was tried to get a Slash replica for generation Y, when youre fiercely trying to rebrand GNR to your vision. DJ proved me right. And, you know, two of the greatest front men and musical minds in rock wanted Finck in their band, so, yeah, Joe Shmo can suck a dick 16

The lineup wasn't cool - that's what made it cool! Mtv were just mocking bucket with that promo, they weren't going apeshit they were being rude.

Who is the 2nd of your two great frontmen? I only know of Finck as being in GnR/NiN & that silly circus show. Am I missing something? I do chuckle at the idea of the possibility of Reznor being a great musical mind tho I know you're not talking about him. Don't even know if Axl deserves such a mantle anymore..

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

two of the greatest front men and musical minds in rock wanted Finck in their band, so, yeah, Joe Shmo can suck a dick 16

yeah but one was copying the other.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
johndivney wrote:
misterID wrote:

I remember MTV going apeshit over Bucket. They were really going to blow up had it been done right. They even did a little promo how Bucket had garnered his own following within the GNR fanbase. That lineup was cool.

I'm sure Robin never expected he'd be playing the hits for his career in GNR. I also make no bones that im a Finck homer. The worst thing Axl could have done was tried to get a Slash replica for generation Y, when youre fiercely trying to rebrand GNR to your vision. DJ proved me right. And, you know, two of the greatest front men and musical minds in rock wanted Finck in their band, so, yeah, Joe Shmo can suck a dick 16

The lineup wasn't cool - that's what made it cool! Mtv were just mocking bucket with that promo, they weren't going apeshit they were being rude.

Who is the 2nd of your two great frontmen? I only know of Finck as being in GnR/NiN & that silly circus show. Am I missing something? I do chuckle at the idea of the possibility of Reznor being a great musical mind tho I know you're not talking about him. Don't even know if Axl deserves such a mantle anymore..

Guess it was different in the states. And yes, they were going apeshit. And yes, Reznor, genius. Don't really give a shit if it makes you laugh or not.

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

two of the greatest front men and musical minds in rock wanted Finck in their band, so, yeah, Joe Shmo can suck a dick 16

No clue what this means. Matt recommended Robin. What GNR song sounds like NIN?

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

monkeychow wrote:

misterID wrote:

No clue what this means.

Well I assumed you were referring to Axl and Trent.

Trent wanted Robin in NiN.

Axl wanted whatever trent wanted as his whole plan was to turn GNR into NiN.

misterID wrote:

Matt recommended Robin. What GNR song sounds like NIN?

Oh my God sounds like someone trying to, as does My World.

Matt recommended Robin to be the rhythm guitarist. Big Difference.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

monkeychow wrote:

misterID wrote:

No clue what this means.

Well I assumed you were referring to Axl and Trent.

Trent wanted Robin in NiN.

Axl wanted whatever trent wanted as his whole plan was to turn GNR into NiN.

misterID wrote:

Matt recommended Robin. What GNR song sounds like NIN?

Oh my God sounds like someone trying to, as does My World.

Matt recommended Robin to be the rhythm guitarist. Big Difference.

OMG sounds like Ministry and later Rob Zombie, not NIN. And he was way into Mr. Bungle in the early 90s, which My World sounds like an ode to; heavily sampled with non linear, abstract structure. I hear no NIN. And Axl never said, let me go get a NIN guitarist to make my new band because l want to be just like Trent! He had no idea who Robin was when Matt took him to that show, and he immediately wanted him in the band. What position Matt wanted him for is moot. Axl was just as inspired by Janes Addiction and wanted Dave Navarro, who turned the gig down I believe twice. Matt introduced Robin to Axl after he heard him play, no one was trying to copy Trent. The music on CD pretty much disproves the techno, industrial, NIN myth people latched onto before they even heard a single song.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

ID is right. MTV, RS, Spin,etc. wanted to push new GNR of 2001-02 to the moon. They tried to initially by raving on the new material and bringing up the lineup.  They weren't allowed to. No album, the bizarre touring, silence, etc. screwed the pooch on that. Once 06-07 rolled around, even though Axl was ready to kick ass onstage the media in general had already lost interest.

Divney....they weren't mocking Bucket. The interest was real. At least it was here in the U.S.

Had they released the CD material in that 2001-04 period fans would have got over the Finck "interpretations" of the old songs. The fact that every damn set list had to revolve around AFD and just a taste of Chinese played a role in how fans responded to Finck.

The lineup that recorded the CD material never had a chance.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

God Dave Navarro would have been DJ Ashba bad.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

What position Matt wanted him for is moot.

It's far from moot.

My point was that Robin does not have adequate guitar chops to pull of the position of lead guitarist in a largely guitar heavy band rock band such as Guns N' Roses. Not unless you are going to vastly change the style of the band to something more like Robin plays in NiN - but as you've just said Axl never successfully did that.

So he was left playing AFD. Where he was replacing Slash who has become a guitar god and basically THE player of his generation in the rock world. In terms of guitar skill Robin is flat out under-qualified for the position and it was to the detriment of the bands reputation that he clearly struggled to pull off the classic guitar parts.

Matt recommended him for RHYTHM guitarist - a position where he could play far simpler guitar lines that would have been well within his competency.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

I am going to be harsh here.

Are we seriously arguing about DJ Ashba and his contributions to Guns N' Roses?

The dude was a touring musician.

HE CONTRIBUTED NOTHING TO THE FUCKING BAND!

None of his potential shit that he wrote will ever be released.

He was a fucking hair metal slash top hat ripping off wanker.

Robin Finck actually wrote fucking songs, and he was in the band when Duff an Matt were in it.

Regardless if you hate Robin, he was a cornerstone of Nu-GN'R. Him and Buckethead.

So spare me any DJ love, cause the guy was a fucking tool and joke.

He could never reach Robin's talents.

There is a fucking reason the guy quit the band and was allowed back in. Guess what? It's fucking talent.

Board footer