You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: Imagine an EP of the Slash versions of Chinese Democracy Songs

monkeychow wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I'd buy it.

Me too.

Interesting thing to me is it seems like a "no brainer" in terms of the ease of creation - There's already full Axl vocal tracks lying around (possibly even revised versions in the case of "This I love") and Slash could record his parts in a matter of a week or so given how fast he works.

It would be very simple to whip up an EP or maybe use 3 or 4 re-done songs as part of a larger box set or collection or something.

The obvious thing to do would be to include remixed versions on the "Best Of" compilation alongside the originals and maybe one new song. It'd mean they kept their powder dry with the new tracks, while still giving hardcore fans something "new".

Crucially, it'd also still respect the original tracks – Axl seems quite keen on honouring everyone's contributions, and putting, say, a Slash version of Better on the Best Of in place of the original album version would be a dick move and would hugely disrespect Robin (who, let's not forget, wrote the song in the first place).

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Axl seems quite keen on honouring everyone's contributions,

He does but then he's also been very open over the years to experimenting with tracks after they were originally finished.

Consider:

- The Lies version of "you're crazy"

- The alternative version of Don't Cry

- Changing the way KOHD is played

- The "Big Daddy" Sweet Child of Mine

- The rest of the re-recorded AFD

- The use of bumblefoot to redo solos to "Catcher" "Shackler's Revenge" and "Riad"

- Alternative versions of Better made with DJ and Bumble well after the albums release.

- The planned Brain remix of CD

So I feel that while Axl does tend to acknowledge the original creators, there's definitely a precedent that would suggest he can be open to further creative tinkering.

I feel it could be done in a way that's respectful to the old versions - like drop it as an EP or as a bonus disc with some other greatest hits - rather than a complete re-release of CD and delete the old versions. That way both could exist in the catalogue.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I wonder if they will play Sorry at some point on the tour, maybe Axl could sing it to Slash 16

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

I'm absolutely loving what was done with CD, from Slash's tone and solos to Duff's backing vocals.    A+ shit right there.

I was at 4/8 and wasn't overly impressed with the TIL solo.. but watching that 4/9 clip, definitely better than the first night.    I still wish it was a little more true to the original.   

Better - I think the song is improved as a whole, but I do miss Robin's solo there.   But the overall changes to the song make it better, so no complaints.

I think CD and Better on a future "Best of" release could be re-recorded with Slash and Duff.. lets them put their stamp on those songs officially.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

My current thinking:

TIL: This is the solo it always should have had - the way it builds - classic era stuff.

CD: Slash's tone and his outro solo have also improved this track

Better: Slash's outro is better playing, but I must admit I'm so used to the first couple of notes of the old solo that it's taking a while to get used to. I sort of want a hybrid here, first few phrases of robins then into slashs hahah. As for the intro - at first I was worried it was a bit "tacked on" even though it sounds cool as fuck - but now I think it sits well with the bridge part - Better has always been a strange frankenstein of a song in terms of it's styles.

But to me it's all about This I Love at the moment. That solo is amazing. I pray for a studio version. Preferably recorded now once slash has mastered it live rather than earlier - as you know how Slash improves his solos on the road normally.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

As for the intro - at first I was worried it was a bit "tacked on" even though it sounds cool as fuck - but now I think it sits well with the bridge part - Better has always been a strange frankenstein of a song in terms of it's styles.

I always thought Better was 2 or 3 song ideas that were eventually melded into one song. This could explain the "Frankenstein" nature of the song.

On topic...they should throw a CD EP on Itunes in the middle of the night and watch the world go ape shit.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

As for the intro - at first I was worried it was a bit "tacked on" even though it sounds cool as fuck - but now I think it sits well with the bridge part - Better has always been a strange frankenstein of a song in terms of it's styles.

I always thought Better was 2 or 3 song ideas that were eventually melded into one song. This could explain the "Frankenstein" nature of the song.

On topic...they should throw a CD EP on Itunes in the middle of the night and watch the world go ape shit.

Better is the patchiest song on CD. At least 3 separate songs made into one. It's a shame since there is a classic in there. The power riff and the verses work very well, Axl is ace and the lyrics are good. The whole outro starting from Robin's solo is the best part, classic GN'R.

The intro (guess not strictly an intro anymore) doesn't work and the bridge while badass, doesn't fit. The chorus ain't great either.

New intro by Slash is very cool, but it doesn't alleviate any of the issues with the song.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

New intro by Slash is very cool, but it doesn't alleviate any of the issues with the song.

I agree. I'd drop the old intro entirely (it's basically just the chorus anyway) and go from Slash's intro straight into the first verse.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I agree. I'd drop the old intro entirely (it's basically just the chorus anyway) and go from Slash's intro straight into the first verse.

Agreed, and they should come up with a new chorus, maybe something a bit more uptempo or energetic sounding. The Chorus (and former intro) of Better is awful and almost (but not quite) kills what would otherwise be an instant classic for me. I love the almost Izzy-sounding counter rhythm guitar work, love the metalesque bridge and I even dug the original Robin solo. I hope they give the song some more love.

Allthough I have to say, I'm glad that Axl doesn't sing the falsetto intro anymore (it's Duff now), that's at least an improvement.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
TheMole wrote:

love the metalesque bridge

the bridge while badass, doesn't fit.

This part of the song blew my mind when I first heard it. It's totally out of left field. The listener isn't expecting that. You could also create a completely different song with it....and they probably did previously. 16 At least from the instrumental it was likely lifted from.

I can imagine Axl sifting through all the tapes and when hearing that portion..."That! I want that!"...and its pasted in to the rest of this track.

I'd love to hear the original demo of this. I'm not talking about 2006 type demos. I mean a real demo. If one even exists. The making of this album is so bizarre that actual demos containing vocals may not even exist. Once he enters the studio and lays down a vocal take, it enters the realm of finished on his end, only the music gets tinkered to death.

Board footer