You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Slash McKagan
 Rep: 11 

Re: MATT SORUM 'Wasn't Asked' To Take Part In GUNS N' ROSES Reunion

Ex-GUNS N' ROSES drummer Matt Sorum says that he isn't participating in the band's comeback shows because he wasn't asked to take part in the reunion of GN'R's classic lineup.

Only singer Axl Rose, guitarist Slash and bassist Duff McKagan from GN'R's "Appetite For Destruction"-era lineup took part in this past weekend's Las Vegas shows and the April 1 surprise gig at the Troubadour in West Hollywood. They were joined by keyboardist Dizzy Reed, guitarist Richard Fortus and drummer Frank Ferrer. Also appearing with them was second keyboardist Melissa Reese.

Asked by a fan on Twitter if he is going to perform with GN'R on the reunion tour, Sorum answered: "No Sir , they didn't ask me"

Sorum, who replaced Steven Adler in GUNS N' ROSES, recorded the highly successful albums "Use Your Illusion I" and "Use Your Illusion II" (both 1991) and "The Spaghetti Incident" (1994). He also supported the group on the "Use Your Illusion" tour and can be heard on GUNS N' ROSES' "Live Era: '87-'93" (1999) and "Greatest Hits" (2004).

Adler last year spoke about how he would feel about a hypothetical reunion of the classic GN'R lineup which would include Matt Sorum on drums instead of him. "Matt wouldn't do it," Adler said. "I see Matt practically every Monday night, and we talked about it. He wouldn't do it unless I was a part of it. And I said, 'Well, dude, I would do it without you.' And he said, 'But you're the original guy. You're the sound of GN'R. I'm not. So it's different.' And I said, 'If I did it, if Axl wanted to play the '[Use Your] Illusion' songs, I would have you right next to me. You come up and I'll either take the throne or sit where I sit.'… Sort of like [the way we did it] at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame [induction in 2012]. They didn't show that part on TV, I don't think, but [Matt] played 'Brownstone', and then I came up and played 'Sweet Child' and 'Paradise City'."

Adler continued: "But, yeah, I have nothing against Matt. He didn't do nothing. I had resentments with him, but I talked with him and I worked everything out. Everything. I would love to share a tour bus with him."

Sorum told The Pulse of Radio in a 2009 interview that if the classic GUNS N' ROSES band reunited, they should perform with both him and Adler. "If it's me on drums or Steven or whatever, if it happened, it'd be great, you know. I would actually say to them, 'Hey, bring both of us back,' you know. Let me play the other stuff. We'll have two drum kits. I don't care. If 'Appetite' ('For Destruction', the band's debut) sounds better with Steven playing it, have both guys up there. They can afford it."

GUNS N' ROSES was inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in April 2012. Adler, Sorum, Slash and Duff McKagan attended the ceremony, while Rose and former guitarist Izzy Stradlin stayed home.

GUNS N' ROSES are still scheduled to play two shows in Mexico City and two gigs at the Coachella Valley Music And Arts Festival starting next weekend. A full North American tour is on tap for this summer.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/matt-s … RDPedC4.99

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:

Maybe because he always ran his mouth in any interview or documentary opportunity. I liked his drumming on illusions, and think its a shame he  has been shut out, but he does come off as a bit of a prick, so its no surprise to me he wasn't asked.  Although I'd love to know what happened in the background, whether slash or duff requested he be a part or not, whether axl just flat out said no?

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I think we've just been looking at it wrong. They had a drummer. They basically had duff. They needed a guitar player and they got the most qualified one for the job. If they need a drummer at some point or they have an actual reunion, then we can see what's going to happen.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Slash McKagan wrote:

Ex-GUNS N' ROSES drummer Matt Sorum says that he isn't participating in the band's comeback shows because he wasn't asked to take part in the reunion of GN'R's classic lineup.

Only singer Axl Rose, guitarist Slash and bassist Duff McKagan from GN'R's "Appetite For Destruction"-era lineup took part in this past weekend's Las Vegas shows and the April 1 surprise gig at the Troubadour in West Hollywood. They were joined by keyboardist Dizzy Reed, guitarist Richard Fortus and drummer Frank Ferrer. Also appearing with them was second keyboardist Melissa Reese.

Asked by a fan on Twitter if he is going to perform with GN'R on the reunion tour, Sorum answered: "No Sir , they didn't ask me"

Sorum, who replaced Steven Adler in GUNS N' ROSES, recorded the highly successful albums "Use Your Illusion I" and "Use Your Illusion II" (both 1991) and "The Spaghetti Incident" (1994). He also supported the group on the "Use Your Illusion" tour and can be heard on GUNS N' ROSES' "Live Era: '87-'93" (1999) and "Greatest Hits" (2004).

Adler last year spoke about how he would feel about a hypothetical reunion of the classic GN'R lineup which would include Matt Sorum on drums instead of him. "Matt wouldn't do it," Adler said. "I see Matt practically every Monday night, and we talked about it. He wouldn't do it unless I was a part of it. And I said, 'Well, dude, I would do it without you.' And he said, 'But you're the original guy. You're the sound of GN'R. I'm not. So it's different.' And I said, 'If I did it, if Axl wanted to play the '[Use Your] Illusion' songs, I would have you right next to me. You come up and I'll either take the throne or sit where I sit.'… Sort of like [the way we did it] at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame [induction in 2012]. They didn't show that part on TV, I don't think, but [Matt] played 'Brownstone', and then I came up and played 'Sweet Child' and 'Paradise City'."

Adler continued: "But, yeah, I have nothing against Matt. He didn't do nothing. I had resentments with him, but I talked with him and I worked everything out. Everything. I would love to share a tour bus with him."

Sorum told The Pulse of Radio in a 2009 interview that if the classic GUNS N' ROSES band reunited, they should perform with both him and Adler. "If it's me on drums or Steven or whatever, if it happened, it'd be great, you know. I would actually say to them, 'Hey, bring both of us back,' you know. Let me play the other stuff. We'll have two drum kits. I don't care. If 'Appetite' ('For Destruction', the band's debut) sounds better with Steven playing it, have both guys up there. They can afford it."

GUNS N' ROSES was inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in April 2012. Adler, Sorum, Slash and Duff McKagan attended the ceremony, while Rose and former guitarist Izzy Stradlin stayed home.

GUNS N' ROSES are still scheduled to play two shows in Mexico City and two gigs at the Coachella Valley Music And Arts Festival starting next weekend. A full North American tour is on tap for this summer.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/matt-s … RDPedC4.99

Uh having two drummers on stage is fucking lame. It is like hippie commune Grateful Dead over the hill styles.

I mean I don't hate the Grateful Dead. But that's what I think about with two drummers.

It just isn't necessary and is way bloated.

But, but, but what about two keyboardists? Still not as lame as two drummers. Why not two bassists?

I'm glad he wasn't asked, cause he is an asshole. Also, why would you have both him and Steven? That means less money for the other members of the band. I wouldn't ever have two drummers unless they wanted to split their share, which I would be paying them if they were doing it individual wise.

Props on him not asking. Just a piss poor attitude, and took way too many shots at Axl.

Glad no lines in the sand were drawn.

This tour is going to be phenomenal.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Lol @ all these people still calling Matt a prick and asshole, yet I'm still to see solid evidence of this prick and asshole behaviour. The guy seems cool, he's just honest about his opinions

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Lol @ all these people still calling Matt a prick and asshole, yet I'm still to see solid evidence of this prick and asshole behaviour. The guy seems cool, he's just honest about his opinions

You got me wrong. I said he does come off as a bit of a prick, no specific evidence, just my thinking. He's like a work colleague I know, nice guy, like him, but a bit of a knob too. :-)

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

buzzsaw wrote:

I think we've just been looking at it wrong. They had a drummer. They basically had duff. They needed a guitar player and they got the most qualified one for the job. If they need a drummer at some point or they have an actual reunion, then we can see what's going to happen.

This.

Its the 2014 lineup with Slash replacing DJ/Ron and Melissa replacing Chris.   

Axl has been very careful to not call this a reunion.    GnR has always been around on some level with various members, and this is simply the latest lineup.

slash and duff pushed hard for matt. axl wasn't going to budge.

even if you set aside any sort of grudge over comments made publicly, axl has always been very loyal to his bandmates as long as they've been loyal to him and he just wasn't going to cast frank aside when frank has done everything asked and been a good soldier.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
mister saint laurent wrote:

even if you set aside any sort of grudge over comments made publicly, axl has always been very loyal to his bandmates as long as they've been loyal to him and he just wasn't going to cast frank aside when frank has done everything asked and been a good soldier.

That's why the Pitman development was so puzzling.

I miss Mother Goose.

polluxlm wrote:
mister saint laurent wrote:

That's why the Pitman development was so puzzling.

I miss Mother Goose.

Especially when we know Pitman was involved in making the movie theater trailer.

Could make a few educated guesses on possible reasons he's out, but don't know for sure.

Board footer