You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Re: Axl Rose joins AC/DC

Wow indeed my board mates. Wow!

I saw AC / DC up here in Toronto at SARS Stock where they stole the fucking show from the Stones who were terrible.

With that said, I am so impressed with the service that Mister Axl Rose has done. I truly hope he gets the gig if he wants it and AC / DC are willing to give it to him full time.

He definitely has made done his Scottish roots proud. Honouring the band (who mainly are Scottish) and is incredibly on Bon Scott's songs.

Truly, awesome.

I thinks if AC / DC replace Johnson on a full time basis (including studio) the only answer is Axl Rose. No one else can compete with him. Also, he gives you a helluva good songwriting ability. Taking nothing away from Johnson.

I'll be going to the Buffalo, show if they have one and tickets. I think they have one.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

If the promoter knew how big demand is and they damn well knew the level of tension between the band members at one point (not to mention Axl's volatility), is it really that shocking to think they might be under a gag order? Promoters are putting a lot of money on the line for this thing. Axl's mood this entire year (very happy) and his behavior with AC/DC doesn't suggest to me that he is afraid to speak. That's why I am starting to believe it's a big "cover your ass" thing from the promoters to make sure nothing gets miscommunicated between the band members in public.

I don't envisage promoters engaging the same in-depth theories on why GNR fall apart as we fans do. We might speculate that the band will fall apart again when Axl takes offence at a badly phrased remark from Slash, but I think promoter will look at it more like "Can the band be professional or not? Can Axl sing the songs properly or not? Will they show up or not? Will they persist in late starts/running over time/canceled dates" Basically, do they have their shit together as an A-grade professional act, or not.

These questions were answered at the Troubadour, Vegas, Mexico City, and Coachella. Any bonus questions they may have had were answered in Portugal last night.

Axl is now all action, no talk which I've wanted from him for 20 years and now that he's delivering exactly that, my complaint box is now empty.

Promoters are likely doing cartwheels down the street. They had to add shows to what some hardcore fans were calling a too ambituous tour schedule.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

James so you're saying you agree with tejastech08 that promoters are the reason Axl isn't doing GNR interviews? Seems a coincidence that he almost never did them in the past either.

James

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

James so you're saying you agree with tejastech08 that promoters are the reason Axl isn't doing GNR interviews? Seems a coincidence that he almost never did them in the past either.

Not saying I agree that they aren't allowing it I'm just saying that its not required. The world almost tipped on its axis when the rumors of an imminent reunion hit social media. GNR trended a nanosecond after each mention. The Troubadour show was global news. The Vegas shows sold out immediately and once the stadium tour was announced, they had to start adding more because of the insane demand. They stole the show at Coachella.  At what point during this do they need to go on some massive promo tour? My own grandma knows they're back and all she does is sit around watching news and Andy Griffith. When 80 year old women who don't go to concerts know you are touring, who is left on the earth to fill in on current events....ten guys still lost in some Indonesian jungle who think World War II is still on like Donkey Kong? I doubt they were buying tickets anyways so that promotional jaunt can be axed.

There was a reason(and a BIG one) for Axl to promote this AC/DC tour. Huge drama there with Brian gone and many fans pissed how it all went down. Stadiums worth of people needed an update. They would be skeptical no matter who the replacement was and it wound up being the singer of the biggest band on the planet right now. He needed to speak....so he did. AC/DC forums going ballistic and Axl just proved all the doubters wrong. The action of last night said more than his words anyways.

The AC/DC situation could have easily imploded. Axl saved the day. He did exactly what was needed in the situation.

He is currently the lead singer of two major stadium acts that required two different approaches. Both are a huge success. I'm still unable to see what is wrong.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Did anyone say anything was wrong?

I don't know any GNR fan unhappy at the moment - Slash is back - Axl is in his best form in 10 years - and not only are GNR back but Axl is succeeding in fronting Ac/Dc as well.

I just objected to the suggestion that Axl interviewing with Ac/Dc was evidence that he is blocked by promoters from giving GNR interviews. After all Axl has been somewhat reclusive from the media for the past 30 years - avoiding interviews now is simply characteristic of him in general rather than any outside force.

So nothing is wrong, although I must say if GNR doesn't make an album and slash wastes his next batch of riffs by going back to conspirators I'll be disappointed. GNR is a wonderful touring act, but it would be great to see it resume being a creative entity too.

johndivney wrote:

I'm unhappy. But that's just my natural state.

James

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Did anyone say anything was wrong?

I don't know any GNR fan unhappy at the moment - Slash is back - Axl is in his best form in 10 years - and not only are GNR back but Axl is succeeding in fronting Ac/Dc as well.

I just objected to the suggestion that Axl interviewing with Ac/Dc was evidence that he is blocked by promoters from giving GNR interviews. After all Axl has been somewhat reclusive from the media for the past 30 years - avoiding interviews now is simply characteristic of him in general rather than any outside force.

So nothing is wrong, although I must say if GNR doesn't make an album and slash wastes his next batch of riffs by going back to conspirators I'll be disappointed. GNR is a wonderful touring act, but it would be great to see it resume being a creative entity too.

Fans have complained about lack of interviews, the drumming not up to snuff,etc.

If there was a time for promotion, it was before the shindig got off the ground. I was surprised by the silence initially as well, but then realized that while us hardcore fans would love for Axl(or any of them) to start going into in depth detail on the situation, doing so doesn't really help. If anything, might make it worse. The cancelation of Kimmel a great example.

Now if there was an album in stores and these guys(and gal) remained quiet, I might have a problem with it. An album would certainly deserve promotion but if the general public is still snatching up tickets in the midst of an album release, they might even sidestep promotion in that scenario.

If any GNR promotion is coming, it might be during this lull in activity before the summer tour starts. Having said that....what lull? Axl is a walking GNR commercial that has footage of himself singing AC/DC songs all over the internet.

The current situation is unprecedented. The classic era different for obvious reasons and the Chinese years pale in comparison. He now has a media willing to embrace him with open arms and saying GNR is back. he lacked this mentality post 2001. He's being hashtagged to hell and back across social media. Fan communities that went to war amongst themselves during the CD years now hold hands while singing Coma, DTJ, etc. almost to the point of tears.

If/when GNR go into a full court press with the media, expect Slash and Duff to do the heavy lifting, Axl do an interview or two with Trunk, RS, maybe the Tonight Show or something similar, and Frank, Dizzy, Fortus, and Melissa to hit more online outlets.

I also agree that it would be tragic for these guys to not capitalize on their second wind. Axl seems happy, he's on a major roll, Slash and Duff are not drug addicts anymore and definitely can still bring something to the table, and they've assembled a great lineup that can do more than just play the current discography.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

They don't need any promotion as is. I am surprised we are not hearing anything from S&D though. If there wasn't some sort of embargo (or fear of Axl Rose) why aren't they talking? Surely there must be a huge demand. Not like a little extra pr will hurt them.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

And Brian's hearing-loss was a mea culpa? Plot thickens.

In an interview with US radio broadcaster Howard Stern, Johnson told him that 36 years as the lead singer of rock's possibly loudest band was not the reason for his deafness.

'I’ve got hearing loss in me left ear. I didn’t get it from music,' he told Stern. 'I got it from sitting in a race car too long without ear plugs.

'I heard my ear drum burst, because I forgot to put me plugs in under my helmet. That’s how it happened. Music had nothing to do with it.'

Brian Johnson told Howard Stern that the occasion on which his eardrum burst, he felt dizzy and when he removed his racing helmet he found blood from his ear.

'It’s just like a tininess, like tinnitus or something,' Johnson told Stern in 2014, saying it didn’t slow him down and that 'you forget about it after a week'.

- src

James

James wrote:

I have hearing loss AND tinnitus. You do NOT "forget about it after a week". It is ALWAYS there. Do you know when you forget about it? When you're sleeping. The nanosecond you wake up, it reminds you of its existence.

He can spin it til the cows come home and minimize it all he wants but Angus made the right decision. If it wasn't a problem, nobody in AC/DC would have even known about it. You cant fake having good hearing unless you can read lips and I doubt lip reading would have helped on a tour.

Board footer