You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Re: ASHBA: 'Walking Away From GUNS N' ROSES Was The Hardest Decision I've

monkeychow wrote:
DCK wrote:

DJ is right and he should be in Sixx:Am and not GNR. However, he kept more in tune playing these tunes than Slash does these days. Tophat boy better be upping his game.

DJ played nearly nothing but Slash's songs and consciously worked for years to mimic slash's stage moves, appearance, charisma and guitar solos and musical style.....so yeah I don't think Slash has to worry about improvising too much lol

As for DJ - he figured out he was never going to be able to do his own music in a GNR context and would only ever be covering Slash and bailed. Can't blame him for that - he wasn't the first and even now he may not be the last.....

Unless you're Buckethead or Robin Finck or Slash, you ain't going to ever create material in the band as lead guitar.

Ron & DJ were just touring musicians, nothing more or less.

Love your post.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think most of you guys are a little harsh on DJ.

I'm sure a few of us play guitar as a hobby....

ever had the chance to play in a covers band, and then to start your own band?

Given he submitted a ton of Riffs to GNR that went into limbo, that's what DJ was facing, basically he played covers for 8 years or whatever it was and then wanted to go back to making his own music....can't blame him...especially given that his own band is Sixx:Am which has a reasonable amount of traction compared to some of the other guys solo careers.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

monkeychow wrote:

Given he submitted a ton of Riffs to GNR that went into limbo, that's what DJ was facing, basically he played covers for 8 years or whatever it was and then wanted to go back to making his own music....can't blame him...especially given that his own band is Sixx:Am which has a reasonable amount of traction compared to some of the other guys solo careers.

Oh for sure I am harsh on him.

I think he is the worst thing to happen to Guns N' Roses.

Robin has NIN whenever that starts.

Buckethead has a great following.

Tommy had the Replacements.

I'd say Robin and Tommy are on good terms. Who knows about Buckethead.

The rest yeah...

I just honestly hate DJ. So I get what you're saying 100%.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

DJs era was a bad, cheesy nightmare.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I don't think it's entirely DJ's fault though.

Now I'm the first to say I think his stage presence is a little overblown - I think he was going for "tribute" to slash but it was dangerously close to parody unfortunately.

However, I don't think the lack of DJ material is because DJ can't write good material. It's because for a LONG TIME Axl has been unwilling (or I even suspect afraid) to do new music.

It's all in the timing. I think if DJ had joined the band in 1999 he'd be on CD to the extent that fink is. The problem is that both he and bumble joined after Axl had developed this complex about writing new material. Bumble was lucky that the old versions weren't released yet so he was able to get a solo or two in - DJ on the other hand came after the album was out.

Notice how in the recent Ac/Dc interview when asked if he would record with them, Axl jokes that the interviewer would be "really helping Axl out" if he could write a great album and give it to Axl to give to the band. Sure Axl is pissing around but I think there's a section of truth to it.

Axl found the CD process torturous and aside from the occasional throwaway line "Same Bat Time" (2008) and "We're going to look very seriously at what we're doing with Albums" (2014) - he doesn't seem to be actually pursuing developing new music. If it were just about the record labels they could play new songs live mixed into the set....but nothing happens...silence on this front even in the face of a reunion.....

I think Axl has developed a complex around songwriting. Don't blame DJ.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Oh for sure I am harsh on him.

I think he is the worst thing to happen to Guns N' Roses.

Robin has NIN whenever that starts.

Buckethead has a great following.

Tommy had the Replacements.

I'd say Robin and Tommy are on good terms. Who knows about Buckethead.

The rest yeah...

I just honestly hate DJ. So I get what you're saying 100%.

Not entirely true. DJ was just a year late. Ron was all over Chinese Democracy. Solos, Rythym, every song virtually.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
DCK wrote:

DJ is right and he should be in Sixx:Am and not GNR. However, he kept more in tune playing these tunes than Slash does these days. Tophat boy better be upping his game.

DJ played nearly nothing but Slash's songs and consciously worked for years to mimic slash's stage moves, appearance, charisma and guitar solos and musical style.....so yeah I don't think Slash has to worry about improvising too much lol

As for DJ - he figured out he was never going to be able to do his own music in a GNR context and would only ever be covering Slash and bailed. Can't blame him for that - he wasn't the first and even now he may not be the last.....

Not entirely true. DJ was a year late...Ron was all over Chinese Democracy. Every song. Solos and rythym.

My point is it's just the timing. If DJ had joined the year Ron did, or the year Bucket did, or the year Robin did he would also be all over the album. It has nothing to do with lack of ability from DJ and everything to do with whatever mental block it is that keeps Axl from new works. Notice how DJ came AFTER cd was out yet the leaks of his stuff are his remixes of CD? The band just doesn't move on.

Anyway, DJ quit because he preferred to play his own music to covers, which is essentially the same reason Robin, Bucket and Bumble all quit too, even if they got a little more of their own contributions in the pie first.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I don't think it's entirely DJ's fault though.

Now I'm the first to say I think his stage presence is a little overblown - I think he was going for "tribute" to slash but it was dangerously close to parody unfortunately.

However, I don't think the lack of DJ material is because DJ can't write good material. It's because for a LONG TIME Axl has been unwilling (or I even suspect afraid) to do new music.

It's all in the timing. I think if DJ had joined the band in 1999 he'd be on CD to the extent that fink is. The problem is that both he and bumble joined after Axl had developed this complex about writing new material. Bumble was lucky that the old versions weren't released yet so he was able to get a solo or two in - DJ on the other hand came after the album was out.

Notice how in the recent Ac/Dc interview when asked if he would record with them, Axl jokes that the interviewer would be "really helping Axl out" if he could write a great album and give it to Axl to give to the band. Sure Axl is pissing around but I think there's a section of truth to it.

Axl found the CD process torturous and aside from the occasional throwaway line "Same Bat Time" (2008) and "We're going to look very seriously at what we're doing with Albums" (2014) - he doesn't seem to be actually pursuing developing new music. If it were just about the record labels they could play new songs live mixed into the set....but nothing happens...silence on this front even in the face of a reunion.....

I think Axl has developed a complex around songwriting. Don't blame DJ.

I think it comes down to taste, I didn't like anything DJ or Ron wrote, from solo albums to SAM. I mean, the image thing was way generic and DJ tried way too hard to be a rock star.

Slash od'd on heroin.

DJ od'd on an E Cigarette.

That's all that needs to be said. 16

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah I always thought....

Slash smoked a cigarette during patience because he was addicted to cigarettes in the 1980s.

Dj smoked a cigarette during patience because Slash was addicted to cigarettes in the 1980s.

That said, the cool guitar in better would be boring without Axl's parts, the cool horn melody in Madagascar would be boring without Axl's parts, the crazy riffing in Riad and Shackler would be boring without Axl's parts. To me Axl's vocals enhance anything they are put with. I think DJ could deliver a guitar based track like he does with Sixx:Am or with Motley Crue...and Axl would turn it into a GNR sounding track. It's not his fault that Axl seems to have developed problems songwriting.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Yeah I always thought....

Slash smoked a cigarette during patience because he was addicted to cigarettes in the 1980s.

Dj smoked a cigarette during patience because Slash was addicted to cigarettes in the 1980s.

That said, the cool guitar in better would be boring without Axl's parts, the cool horn melody in Madagascar would be boring without Axl's parts, the crazy riffing in Riad and Shackler would be boring without Axl's parts. To me Axl's vocals enhance anything they are put with. I think DJ could deliver a guitar based track like he does with Sixx:Am or with Motley Crue...and Axl would turn it into a GNR sounding track. It's not his fault that Axl seems to have developed problems songwriting.

So what do you think of the Baz songs Axl sings on Angel Down?

Board footer