You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mike
 Rep: 13 

Re: John Carpenter returns to Halloween franchise as executive producer

Mike wrote:

After news that The Weinstein Company had lost the rights, Trancas International Films has found a new home for Michael Myers to invade.

The next installment of Halloween will be a production between Blumhouse, Miramax, and Trancas International Films, with Blumhouse’s Jason Blum and Trancas’ Malek Akkad acting as producers.

The eyebrow raising news, however, is that franchise creator John Carpenter is set to executive produce the next sequel to his 1979 indie that launched the career of Jamie Lee Curtis, and introduced the world to the slasher icon known simply to horror fans as “The Shape.”

“38 years after the original Halloween. I’m going to help to try to make the 10th sequel the scariest of them all,” Carpenter stated.

Although unconfirmed, there are negotiations for Carpenter compose the film, which means we’ll hear his signature sounds gracing the screen while Michael goes on his new rampage!

Akkad, who has been a producer on the franchise since Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers, added, “Trancas International is thrilled to be teaming up with Miramax on Halloween, one of the most enduring horror franchises in film. We are also very excited to be working with Jason Blum and the whole team at Blumhouse. Together, along with the return of legendary filmmaker John Carpenter, we are eager to make a film that will be a milestone in the franchise’s legacy and that will excite the fans, young and old.”

The filmmakers are targeting a Halloween 2017 release, although no writer or director has been announced as of this writing.

Alright, chime in below and tell us your thoughts on this MAJOR announcement!

-Bloody Disgusting

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3392 … -producer/

It's nice to see the man that started it all involved in the next one, nobody has known what to do with this franchise for years. On a side note, I'd like to give a shout out to my old Gn'R/Halloween forum friends James Lofton, Double Talking Jive and Axlin16. I'm happy to say that I purchased tickets to the Guns n' Roses reunion this July in Philly!

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

The filmmakers are targeting a Halloween 2017 release, although no writer or director has been announced as of this writing.

17 months from a clean slate. Ouch.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

That does sound quick considering it includes writing the script. Then again I guess 10 films in a lot of the groundwork has been done. I'm looking forward to this though. The Rob Zombie versions were interesting but sort of problematic to me. I'd be interested in a fresh modern take.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Looks like he finally needs the money. Was just a few years ago he'd never do this. Medical bills perhaps.

Whoever is paying him made a wise choice. Despite the warning signs and the complete redundancy of it all, I'll watch this, because Carpenter.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Super Mike is back! 5 9 God I haven't seen you in like 8 years. Glad you dropped in.

Not sure how much to get excited for this news. While Halloween is a damn good film obviously, I am one of those horror junkies that doesn't consider it the holy grail of horror films. Having said that, Zombie ruined the franchise and Carpenter cant make it any worse.

I said this years ago but I always wanted a foreign director to be handed this franchise and see what they can do with it. Looks like they'd rather let Carpenter have one last ride with it instead and I'm not opposed to it.

If this is going to go the remake route, give me a remake of H4 or somehow incorporate H1 and H4 into the same film.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Mike wrote:

After news that The Weinstein Company had lost the rights, Trancas International Films has found a new home for Michael Myers to invade.

The next installment of Halloween will be a production between Blumhouse, Miramax, and Trancas International Films, with Blumhouse’s Jason Blum and Trancas’ Malek Akkad acting as producers.

The eyebrow raising news, however, is that franchise creator John Carpenter is set to executive produce the next sequel to his 1979 indie that launched the career of Jamie Lee Curtis, and introduced the world to the slasher icon known simply to horror fans as “The Shape.”

“38 years after the original Halloween. I’m going to help to try to make the 10th sequel the scariest of them all,” Carpenter stated.

Although unconfirmed, there are negotiations for Carpenter compose the film, which means we’ll hear his signature sounds gracing the screen while Michael goes on his new rampage!

Akkad, who has been a producer on the franchise since Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers, added, “Trancas International is thrilled to be teaming up with Miramax on Halloween, one of the most enduring horror franchises in film. We are also very excited to be working with Jason Blum and the whole team at Blumhouse. Together, along with the return of legendary filmmaker John Carpenter, we are eager to make a film that will be a milestone in the franchise’s legacy and that will excite the fans, young and old.”

Alright, chime in below and tell us your thoughts on this MAJOR announcement!

-Bloody Disgusting

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3392 … -producer/

It's nice to see the man that started it all involved in the next one, nobody has known what to do with this franchise for years. On a side note, I'd like to give a shout out to my old Gn'R/Halloween forum friends James Lofton, Double Talking Jive and Axlin16. I'm happy to say that I purchased tickets to the Guns n' Roses reunion this July in Philly!

Hey bro, sorry for the late reply, but great return and great news.

All the best.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Looks like he finally needs the money. Was just a few years ago he'd never do this. Medical bills perhaps.

Whoever is paying him made a wise choice. Despite the warning signs and the complete redundancy of it all, I'll watch this, because Carpenter.

What happened was Carpenter kept getting e-mails and love letters from the rise in synthwave/retrowave music fans that have suddenly brought guys like John Carpenter & Harold Faltermeyer & Vangelis & Tangerine Dream & Brad Fiedel and all these 1980s film score synth composers to God-like status.

Carpenter took a leap and went full-time into music last year. He released his first solo album "Lost Themes", a hypothetical film score for a 'lost' film incorporating the style of some of his best work in the 80's, while staying fresh.

The response was overwhelming, and only a year later released a second album a couple months ago, "Lost Themes II", and an EP of re-recorded themes last week, like Halloween, Assault on Precinct 13, Escape From N.Y., The Fog...

He's gonna be touring the album(s) the rest of the year. As well as releasing music videos.

Carpenter, due to this response to his music at 68, has been like a rejuvenated man (much like Axl). Suddenly he's open to returning to "Halloween".

Sadly, my feelings are this came 20 years too late. The iron is far too cold. The time to reunite and return was when Jamie Lee Curtis was begging him in 1997-98 in the early pre-production on what would become Halloween H2O. After the death of Donald Pleasence, and the ensuing flop that was the Theatrical version of "Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers", the franchise was in peril. Dimension's original plans were an all-girls school in California, and the film was going to be Direct-to-Video, ala Miramax's "Hellraiser" revival franchise. When Curtis got involved as a comeback/semi-retirement vehicle, suddenly it become Theatrical, the Weinstein's took more active involvement, and Curtis kept pushing that it needed to be an Anniversary-film, and wanted John Carpenter to return to co-write and co-produce the film with original partner Debra Hill (who passed away in 2005), as well as Moustapha Akkad (who also died in 2005).

Everyone seemed to love the idea of Carpenter coming back, scoring, writing, producing, and directing what would've been HIS "Halloween IV" with Myers (H3: Season of the Witch was both Carpenter & Hill's idea).

Everybody loved the idea... except John -- who passed. Then around 2004, the year after the release of Freddy vs. Jason, Carpenter and Hellraiser's Clive Barker got together and kicked the tires on a potential "Michael vs. Pinhead" film that would've featured Barker co-writing and producing the film, with Carpenter co-writing, scoring and directing the film. The film never got out of the "hey, that'd be neat" stage, and when Trancas polled the fans the majority were against the idea, nixing it for good.

The time for Carpenter to do this... was in 1998. With Jamie Lee. With Debra. With Moustapha.

Now?

It might be a day late and a dollar short. But he's supposed to be doing the score, and right now John is KILLING IT on the keyboards, so at least the soundtrack will be a killer deal, and quite possibly the first real sequel-score to Halloween III: Season of the Witch (a masterpiece of music).

James Lofton wrote:

Super Mike is back! 5 9 God I haven't seen you in like 8 years. Glad you dropped in.

Not sure how much to get excited for this news. While Halloween is a damn good film obviously, I am one of those horror junkies that doesn't consider it the holy grail of horror films. Having said that, Zombie ruined the franchise and Carpenter cant make it any worse.

I said this years ago but I always wanted a foreign director to be handed this franchise and see what they can do with it. Looks like they'd rather let Carpenter have one last ride with it instead and I'm not opposed to it.

If this is going to go the remake route, give me a remake of H4 or somehow incorporate H1 and H4 into the same film.

They did let a foreign director direct it. European director Dominique Othenin-Girard directed 1989's "Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers". Although it's a widely unliked film, to this day I find H5 underrated. No, it's not the Carpenter "three" (H1, H2 & H3), nor is it H4 or H2O or hell, the Producer's Cut of H6. BUT... there are pro's and con's to H5. I for one LOVED Dominique's direction-style. It added a more European-flavor and pacing to H5. I also loved Rob Draper's Cinematography. H5 is BEAUTIFULLY lit, and very European in style. Very reminiscent of some of the Italian horror films of it's day. Problem is... the script was shit. The cast (with the exception of Pleasence, Harris, Cornell & Starr), was shit. The script was literally STILL BEING WRITTEN while scenes were being filmed, they so quickly wanted to rush the film into theaters the year after the hit that was Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers.

Sadly it turned into a major disaster. Tina has to be one of the worst heroines in the history of film. BUT, had the cast and the script been there, his directing, plus the cinematography... would've been what you were looking for imo James.

As for the future of this franchise... you know what my vote it is...

Halloween IX: Season of the Witch Part 2

Starring Tom mother fucking Atkins

Music By John Carpenter
Executive Producer: Malek Akkad
Produced by John Carpenter
Written by John Carpenter & Tommy Lee Wallace
Directed by John Carpenter

FUCK YES

Board footer