You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Re: Axl at the Chinese Exchange

James Lofton wrote:

If I were going to ask about a song it would be Atlas Shrugged....it has a more interesting history than any of the other unreleased songs in the vault. Song had been talked about for years,  Ron lobbied for its inclusion on CD, it didn't make the cut and eight years later it appears likely it is going to be released in some form eventually.

Oklahoma would be my second choice. It has the longest history of the vault tracks and we know the story behind it but not why its working title was changed to Berlin.

What do you mean ask him if he isn't Fleetwood Mac?

Henley talked about the recording session with Axl eons ago. Said it was very intense. I wish the two had collaborated later on....the lack of collaborations another negative byproduct of the drawn out CD saga.

Yikes ha ha.

I did not complete that sentence.

Likely, ask if he is into Fleetwood Mac. Damn autocorrect.

I was going to mention Atlas Shrugged, and Okalhoma. Those two intrigue me as well.

I just really expect the General to be such a kick ass song. Who knows if it is, but I just expect this heavy marching boot heel clicking intro and boom boom boom stuff going on. Maybe grunge style guitar shit and big on the drums. It being like a bad ass rocker along the lines of You Could Be Mine. Clearly, not the same song. Some layers of course, but you're like wow neato.

James Lofton wrote:
misterID wrote:

Anyone get the feeling he's putting it out there he is unwilling to change CD II? Slash could end up on a couple of songs, but he has been working to get the album where it is, he's a huge fan of the former line up, etc. If Slash doesn't replace Ron on the recordings I will be PISSED. The cool thing, we could hear Slash playing along with Bucket.

If he's "staying the course" with CD II and only has minimal interest in Slash and Duff's involvement, I pray to sweet baby Jesus that he has ditched all work on the material post 2004 and is going back to the original project and will let Slash, Duff, Fortus, Melissa, and maybe Dizzy and Frank add a bit of layering/improvement to that material.

Notice how when they played the title track this year, it sounded better than it has since 2001. They took it back to its roots. The finished album of 2008 was a complete mess. Any adding of Ashba, Ron, etc. past that point would make the second album an even bigger mess. Axl himself may have realized they would simply make it worse which is why the 09-14 lineup never went into the studio. Why bother?

Due to the label, we never got to hear the real Chinese Democracy. What we heard in 2008 was the abortion version of his initial vision. If he unloads the second album while the world is watching, there will be a LOT of focus on it so why not go back to how it was intended?

Said it before but I'd be just as interested in hearing the real first CD as I would CD II. That 2001 lineup deserved to shine. Its no longer possible but releasing music that contains them but with only minor additions from Slash would be a godsend for hardcore fans like us.

Remove Ron from the equation completely. Frank is still in so keep him involved I suppose although I'd love for Brain/Freese to still be included, remove anything non essential of Pitman's and let Melissa fill that gap, and we've got a an album the public will be all over like Roseanne Barr on a loose meat sandwich.

Just make sure it has a hit single to kick things off. 9

I don't know how feasible it is to re-record Chinese Democracy, but the Slash and Duff element to it would be good.

Frank is ok. Like I dig him as a touring guy. But, to me Brain and Josh Freese are the best drummers technically and talent wise Guns has ever had post Adler. Josh Freese seems like he would be a good guy to have in a band as he is helluva nice and someone that would be neutral. As he likes gigs and not pissing off people. Brain though would be great, cause he is Brain and did tour with the band and record. I think if any changing happens, I'd hope for a Brain return.

I'm happy with Frank though. Not pissing on him at all.

I just want new music or a leak(s) to tie us over.

Chinese Democracy era is like the Beach Boys Smile era. Not as long in scale, but you get so many versions and upon hearing what it should of been like you're like wow. Why didn't they do that?

I'll admit the Slash talk kind of scared me a bit too. I assume this isn't just a cash grab tour, and it is legit.

I did smile at the Coma part. It is a great song Axl. As are a shit ton of you tracks that you're not playing right now. The covers are ok, but, Guns N' Roses tracks blow them out of the water any day.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
misterID wrote:

Anyone get the feeling he's putting it out there he is unwilling to change CD II? Slash could end up on a couple of songs, but he has been working to get the album where it is, he's a huge fan of the former line up, etc. If Slash doesn't replace Ron on the recordings I will be PISSED. The cool thing, we could hear Slash playing along with Bucket.

If he's "staying the course" with CD II and only has minimal interest in Slash and Duff's involvement, I pray to sweet baby Jesus that he has ditched all work on the material post 2004 and is going back to the original project and will let Slash, Duff, Fortus, Melissa, and maybe Dizzy and Frank add a bit of layering/improvement to that material.

Notice how when they played the title track this year, it sounded better than it has since 2001. They took it back to its roots. The finished album of 2008 was a complete mess. Any adding of Ashba, Ron, etc. past that point would make the second album an even bigger mess. Axl himself may have realized they would simply make it worse which is why the 09-14 lineup never went into the studio. Why bother?

Due to the label, we never got to hear the real Chinese Democracy. What we heard in 2008 was the abortion version of his initial vision. If he unloads the second album while the world is watching, there will be a LOT of focus on it so why not go back to how it was intended?

Said it before but I'd be just as interested in hearing the real first CD as I would CD II. That 2001 lineup deserved to shine. Its no longer possible but releasing music that contains them but with only minor additions from Slash would be a godsend for hardcore fans like us.

Remove Ron from the equation completely. Frank is still in so keep him involved I suppose although I'd love for Brain/Freese to still be included, remove anything non essential of Pitman's and let Melissa fill that gap, and we've got a an album the public will be all over like Roseanne Barr on a loose meat sandwich.

Just make sure it has a hit single to kick things off. 9

It could be he's playing coy. If he's played on a couple songs already, there's no reason he can't play on more, unless money is involved. I always hated Ron's CD riff, but Slash makes it work and then some. If there's a greatest hits, why not put Slash on any CD songs?

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I just listened to it.

It's good to hear Axl speak for extended periods of time but it's a bummer he said "soon is not the word" again regarding a new album.

James Lofton wrote:

I agree about removing Ron. I don't care for his additions.

But it seems to me that Pitman was pretty important to Axl's original vision. All of the 2002 tour had heavy effects work and the "Better" and "If The World" demos in particular had more synth work that I thought was cool.

I think that Axl has the advantage with the next album though. Barring a dozen leaks like with CD, he'll be the man behind the curtain, and we'll be unable to scrutinize.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'll do cartwheels down the street if they remove Ron. tongue I'd give anything to hear the original version of Shacklers and a proper version of CITR before he ever touched it. Only thing I liked from him is his work on the title track but I can live without it. I prefer all the demos over the album.

You're right that Pitman was a key figure in the early years of the project. He really took a shit on the band on his way out the door and that's why I'd like him removed as long as its not a required part of the song(s). We don't need the sub bass and some of the song intros are horrible and it was pathetic that he/they stole that Riad intro which wasn't even necessary.

Glad you sent me a message on twitter about your password glitch. That glitch happened to many accounts that went a long time without logging in. Anyone lurking who is unable to log in to their account, just hit me up on twitter.

It could be he's playing coy. If he's played on a couple songs already, there's no reason he can't play on more, unless money is involved. I always hated Ron's CD riff, but Slash makes it work and then some. If there's a greatest hits, why not put Slash on any CD songs?

Throw me in with the group who think Slash and Duff(maybe Melissa) have already added some finishing touches to some Chinese material. The only question is when will any of it be released and under what circumstances? If a 2 disc Best of is in the planning stages for the fall, you can bet your ass it will have 1-2 new tracks and I doubt those songs would exclude current band members.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

I just listened to it.

It's good to hear Axl speak for extended periods of time but it's a bummer he said "soon is not the word" again regarding a new album.

James Lofton wrote:

I agree about removing Ron. I don't care for his additions.

But it seems to me that Pitman was pretty important to Axl's original vision. All of the 2002 tour had heavy effects work and the "Better" and "If The World" demos in particular had more synth work that I thought was cool.

I think that Axl has the advantage with the next album though. Barring a dozen leaks like with CD, he'll be the man behind the curtain, and we'll be unable to scrutinize.

If Slash and Duff aren't doing more recording there wouldn't be any reason to lay out the old, soon isn't the word. Again, unless there's a renegotiation going on with the label.

James

James wrote:

THAT is the best thing about GNR in 2016......the label will want to captalize on the current interest in GNR. Whether its remnants of CD II, updated remixes of CD, or brand new material....they will want music with the GNR name attached to it in stores/on Itunes.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
misterID wrote:

If Slash and Duff aren't doing more recording there wouldn't be any reason to lay out the old, soon isn't the word. Again, unless there's a renegotiation going on with the label.

I'm having trouble following what you mean. Could you clear it up?

James Lofton wrote:

THAT is the best thing about GNR in 2016......the label will want to captalize on the current interest in GNR. Whether its remnants of CD II, updated remixes of CD, or brand new material....they will want music with the GNR name attached to it in stores/on Itunes.

Agreed. I just hope they're not gun shy about CD II affecting their market value or being a commercial dud because Buckethead or Robin are gone.

I'd be curious to know the financial details of the Best Buy deal.

James

James wrote:

In today's culture, the label could release CD II, promote the hell out of it while GNR is touring(or about to tour), and the names Buckethead and Robin Finck only get brought up on a handful of GNR communities. The general public would be none the wiser on who is playing guitar underneath a Slash solo.

The general public is interested in Axl, Slash, and Duff and the Guns N Roses name itself.

The CD fiasco with Best Buy and Dollar Stores is water under the bridge. The media has yet to bring up CD or CD II since the reunion. It can be marketed as fresh material even if it contains tracks from 15 years ago. They would have had difficulties with this in 2009-14. Not anymore.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

Smoking Guns wrote:

He still seems hesitant to go all in and embrace slash.. Still seems a little guarded.

I thought he sounded generally positive about it, given the 19 year seperation and all the nastiness in the media between them.   

There was a time when we never thought they would share a stage again.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

Likely, ask if he is into Fleetwood Mac. Damn autocorrect.

Going out on a limb, I'd expect him to be. 70s rock is what he grew up with.

Board footer