You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: Catcher and Lennon

apex-twin wrote:

While some of Axl's letter is disappointing - As John Lennon once asked Paul McCartney "How Do You Sleep?" - until you have walked a mile in his shoes you cannot begin to comprehend the pressure he is under. - Merck's open letter, 12/06

This struck me by surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK7CLXHSr1M

HDYS was Lennon's commentary on McCartney's post-Beatles career. He felt McCartney went too commercial with musical direction (an attitude shared by the music press at the time, despite the commercial success).

You live with straights who tell you "you was king"
Jump when your mamma tell you anything
The only thing you done was yesterday
And since you've gone it's just another day[

Whereas Axl goes,

Oooh, the Catcher In The Rye Again
Won't let ya get away from him
(Tomorrow never comes)
It's just another day...
Like today

Yesterday becomes just another day in both cases, be it losing a friend to commercial success or a shooting.

Catcher, overall, has pretty brill lyrics, btw. To me, it's Axl prime.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

While I do not like the album version, the lyrics are the strongest on the album. He's venturing way out of his comfort zone on CITR. It's also one of the very few songs I could imagine being a hit in the late 90s.....well the demo version or something resembling it.

Until he commented on the track, I thought it was about the assassination from Chapman's point of view and the outro aimed at him. I was wrong. Either way...incredible lyrics.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Hmm, I'll have to listen to this again.

I've never been a big Beatles nerd so I more or less listened around CITR.

johndivney wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

HDYS was Lennon's commentary on McCartney's post-Beatles career. He felt McCartney went too commercial with musical direction (an attitude shared by the music press at the time, despite the commercial success).

HDYS was in response to coded messages McCartney had in some of his lyrics on Ram.

I don't really see the connection between it & Citr.
I'm not saying it's not there. Another Day is a McCartney song & maybe one of those with lyrics aimed at John.

To me Citr has always, for the most part, been about the book & Holden caulfield & the personality traits we all have in common, and those we don't, & the connections we're unable to make or keep ahold of. Disillusionment and isolation. The "On and ordinary day.." verse is exceptional tho.
Obviously Chapman & Lennon are inextricably linked and cast a pall over the atmosphere of the song, with the only real reference reserved for the final verse.

Never been my cup of tea tbh. Too convoluted, overly complex, confused/confusing. I get the appeal tho, not every song can be a Think About You. People like to dig into these things over multiple listens and such. This track has never appealed to me in such a way.
I admire the ambition & the vision he's aiming for, aiming to express. Just doesn't make it for me.

Not that it's stopped me from adopting "you decide, cause I don't have to" as a annoying catchphrase (tho nowhere near as annoying as, "I'm sorry for you.. Not sorry for me" wink ).

Fwiw this is my favourite reference on CD

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

CITR is Axl`s songwriting highlight.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

Album or all time? I agree that its way up there. Its in Civil War territory that's for sure.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

Album or all time? I agree that its way up there. Its in Civil War territory that's for sure.

All time.

Board footer