You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: 19/7/16 GILLETTE STADIUM, FOXBORO, MA UNITED STATES

johndivney wrote:

What a boring, plodding tune that is. Not even Slash can rescue it.

chad4bama
 Rep: 2 

chad4bama wrote:

Keeps looking like Adler was only a two off event.  Kicking myself for picking New Orleans over Nashville now.

And I wish they'd work more classic tracks in.  I know some have seen some version of the band multiple times and like to hear some "newer" stuff...but honestly 90% of the crowd couldn't care less about the CD tracks...not sure why they're working more in...not like it's a new album they're needing to push.  I like how stripped down and raw This I Love is...but outside of that, I'd rather hear a throw away track like The Garden over anything on CD.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
chad4bama wrote:

Keeps looking like Adler was only a two off event.  Kicking myself for picking New Orleans over Nashville now.

And I wish they'd work more classic tracks in.  I know some have seen some version of the band multiple times and like to hear some "newer" stuff...but honestly 90% of the crowd couldn't care less about the CD tracks...not sure why they're working more in...not like it's a new album they're needing to push.  I like how stripped down and raw This I Love is...but outside of that, I'd rather hear a throw away track like The Garden over anything on CD.

Maybe they're looking to move forward though, and by showcasing some of the CD material that's the beginning stages of that, since a lot of fans attending these shows probably didn't pay attention to CD after it came out. To them it's almost like new material that the band is moving forward with, even though it really isn't. If that makes sense.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Posted this over on HTGTH, so I figured I'd do here as well.

Still in recovery mode after that epic show last night. Can't really add much more to what's already been said. It was awesome seeing Slash and Duff back with the band, it really did add a special feel to the whole experience. I thought they sounded great all night. I LOVED hearing The Seeker, yes that's right. In part because I knew they were up against the curfew when the encore started. I thought we might only get 2 songs, but once I heard them start The Seeker I knew we had another song to go. I just didn't want the night to end.

My only gripe would be, the last time I saw GNR in 2011 I paid $90 for pit tickets and was 10' from the stage. Last night I paid double that and was 250' away from the stage. I understand the reason why obviously, supply and demand. But I enjoyed the previous lineup, so that experience was fantastic and much easier on the wallet. I would've loved to have been in the pit last night but I'm not sure I could've convinced the 5 friends I went with to spend $300 or whatever they are. Not complaining, just laying it out there. Ultimately, my seats were pretty good considering. We were near midfield in the lower section. I bought 2 tickets during the presale and sold those to a friend after we were able to get 6 tickets together during the general sale. Those 2 tickets were on the opposite side of the field, a little closer to the stage. She said the seats were great and absolutely loved the show.

All fans I spoke to had nothing but rave reviews. A couple critical notes from some of my friends who are casual fans. These are there views, and I honestly don't agree with any of them, but I figured I'd share. They thought the lack of interaction onstage between Axl and Slash was telling. They probably had those thoughts heading into the show, so since they didn't hug or high five each other, they still sensed some friction. I told them that they have had their warm moments at previous shows, so I wouldn't read anything into that. The CD songs were not as well received, though they did get a good reception, just not as good as the classics. But that's to be expected. They did like the jams like Layla, Wish You Were Here, and The Godfather Theme. Coma got a thumbs down from one of my friends. Too long for him. I get that, but it was a highlight for me and most fans. Lastly, a few of them commented that they felt Axl's voice got weaker as the night went on. I didn't notice this. I thought he was very strong throughout. I'm a little biased though, so I'm not sure if anyone else noticed that last night or at other shows. One more thing I forgot to add. They felt the pacing of some of the songs were sped up. Now this I do agree with it, and I know it's been a big topic of conversation as to who/how/why. I think it's planned. I know some people like to blame Frank, but I honestly feel that's the pace they want to play the songs, not that Frank is mistakenly speeding up the pace and screwing everyone up. Last night, they felt Paradise City especially was sped up. I didn't notice it, but it's quite possible that they were up against the curfew so they tried to get through it as quick as possible.

All in all, it was an awesome night! I had to keep telling myself that it wasn't a dream. It's just amazing too see where the band has come over the last few years. Go see them. It's well worth the price of admission, if you can swing it.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Relatively dead compared to last night. Might be a good place to test run some new songs in the set!

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

I noticed straight away by the videos on youtube that they speed a few what I seem

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Great review faldor....

They thought the lack of interaction onstage between Axl and Slash was telling. They probably had those thoughts heading into the show, so since they didn't hug or high five each other, they still sensed some friction.

I'm surprised by the lack of friction. This situation is much better than the SG reunion where you could pick up on some tension...especially early on. They all had their own section of the stage and rarely ventured out of their comfort zones. GNR seem much more at ease and I assume it will continue to improve. Like you said, at some shows they are more openly chummy with one another then at others.

Its definitely not just a "cash grab" and good point about working more Chinese into the set to prepare people for "the second half".

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James Lofton wrote:

I'm surprised by the lack of friction.

Yeah, you wouldn't see Steve Tyler sneaking up behind Joe Perry and tickling him while he's soloing. Slash has always been fairly reserved in his interactions with his bandmates onstage, I'm not sure what people were expecting to see.

faldor

faldor wrote:
Gibbo wrote:

I noticed straight away by the videos on youtube that they speed a few what I seem

I did notice watching the periscope of last night's show how fast they played PC. But again, they were up against a curfew so maybe that had something to do with it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

For the record I agree the pacing issue isn't caused by frank. They've obviously made a choice to speed up the songs to fit more in as they couldn't be accidentally doing them this fast.

That said I think Frank has a palpable lack of chemistry with Duff and Slash when compared to either Adler or Sorum.

But he seems to be here to stay so I guess I better learn to love it.

Board footer