You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Re: Quote Hunt

Intercourse wrote:
Brett wrote:

Because how many GNR songs were ballads written about women? Tons, so maybe Slash was just bitter at everything Axl would do and it pushed him away. Who knows.

Or maybe Axl wanted to write an album of 6 ten minute love songs filled with self pity and recrimination and Slash wasn't prepared to work on such matters.

Its fair to say that at that stage, both men had lost sight of what their fans wanted, some wanted the love songs, some wanted the rockers, some wanted a bit of both but not a huge fucking slew of one or the other. That's what managers and record producers are for, to balance out the extreme tastes of the chief song writers and keep them working together via compromise. With the management vacuum in the band, both men were free to push for the worst extremes of their own visions to be inflicted on the others.

monkeychow
 Rep: 634 

Re: Quote Hunt

monkeychow wrote:

I was also trying to figure out what I wanted to say, when it's right to be venting and when you're digging a bigger hole.

I found this line very interesting. You see this approach a lot in modern Axl remarks and interviews I think - he often starts a statement with a type of advance disclaimer "This is not to suggest X but I found that Y" - as if he pre-considers a lot how people will respond to what he says now.

Likewise I think the lyrics all over Chinese Democracy are a little more cryptic than in previous releases. The still have that Axl's true life feel - but they're a little less direct in the way they make the points I think.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Quote Hunt

esoterica wrote:

Axl's best songwriting on AFD and UYI are all lucid but they're also very direct and on the nose.

He matures quite a bit on Chinese Democracy in his style. It's more abstract, subtle, ambiguous, and overall much more artful.

I would say that he shouldn't listen to what the fans say on anything. I like to think I'm a "good fan" but when it comes down to it, I largely know nothing about the nitty gritty of music. Except the voice he uses on "Madagascar". I mean, do your artistic thing, I appreciate the deep thinking and it was interesting to learn about the Old Man and the Sea, but sing that one straight. It fits the gothic / gospel tone of the song.

Re: Quote Hunt

johndivney wrote:
faldor wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

Axl`s victim complex gets irritating after a while plus he`s insecure I don`t understand why dude is insanely gifted. I refuse to believe Slash and Duff ever called him an idiot and a loser.

How about a microphone abuser?

Nod to Fred Durst there.

Don't be a hater. If it wasn't for Fred you wouldn't be going to this gig tonight:
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/fred-dur … s-reunion/

Re: Quote Hunt

johndivney wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I was also trying to figure out what I wanted to say, when it's right to be venting and when you're digging a bigger hole.

I found this line very interesting. You see this approach a lot in modern Axl remarks and interviews I think - he often starts a statement with a type of advance disclaimer "This is not to suggest X but I found that Y" - as if he pre-considers a lot how people will respond to what he says now.

Likewise I think the lyrics all over Chinese Democracy are a little more cryptic than in previous releases. The still have that Axl's true life feel - but they're a little less direct in the way they make the points I think.

Guy got understandably freaked out by millions of morons hanging on his every word asif he was Jesus fuckin Christ.
But also, not before time he self-edited or got himself an editor. Imagine the ramblings of his multiple volume autobiography..
Tho you'd prob love it wink

Re: Quote Hunt

johndivney wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Or maybe Axl wanted to write an album of 6 ten minute love songs filled with self pity and recrimination and Slash wasn't prepared to work on such matters.

Its fair to say that at that stage, both men had lost sight of what their fans wanted, some wanted the love songs, some wanted the rockers, some wanted a bit of both but not a huge fucking slew of one or the other. That's what managers and record producers are for, to balance out the extreme tastes of the chief song writers and keep them working together via compromise. With the management vacuum in the band, both men were free to push for the worst extremes of their own visions to be inflicted on the others.

Love this post ^

Wagszilla wrote:

I would say that he shouldn't listen to what the fans say on anything. I like to think I'm a "good fan" but when it comes down to it, I largely know nothing about the nitty gritty of music. Except the voice he uses on "Madagascar". I mean, do your artistic thing, I appreciate the deep thinking and it was interesting to learn about the Old Man and the Sea, but sing that one straight. It fits the gothic / gospel tone of the song.

I dunno. There was a time I'd have agreed with this sentiment but I think I've changed my mind. There is value to be mined in listening to the fans & trying to cater to their expectations.
Axl even alluded to this as much in the online chats when asked about why he didn't just go solo, when he mentioned about how he had to make things worthy of the GnR name/sound.

The fans have been right about a lot of stuff. They deserve more credit, and better treatment (but that's another matter).
We were right about wanting a reunion. We were right when we stayed away from the Ron/DJ-era. And look at Prostitute's lyrics now. You just gotta roll your eyes at the dude sometimes.. It really didn't have to be like that.

The fans, some of us anyway, are objective enough to know what's what. But even those that aren't, maybe especially those that aren't, deserve respect & to have their input listened to. It could have helped the process: there are plenty of other creative fields where the producers bounce ideas off fan forums. Of course Axl n his hangers on were always monitoring the forums, but there was no back and forth dialogue.

Obviously he just wasn't capable of bridging that divide back then. But to broadstroke that the fans should be pushed aside as he chases some vision I think is a mistake.
Listening to the fans, instead of just judging them as a burden or obstruction, really could've helped. We were right more often than he was.. One of the sad facts of the last 20 years.

James
 Rep: 625 

Re: Quote Hunt

James wrote:

These past few posts really make me want to see a new interview with Axl in the near future. I'd love to hear his honest feelings in hindsight of that 2009-14 era. Love it or hate it but it just ran in circles with no objective. GNR were in a six year holding pattern waiting to land at reunion airport but weather conditions caused the delay.

When one of his ex managers months ago said that during a late night chat Axl told him he was open to a reunion in 2010-11 and had no issues with Slash really opened my eyes even more to the second half of the CD saga and why nothing really happened and made me realize I wasn't missing anything when bailing out on the Ron-Ashba era. I knew we were getting nothing from that lineup. Call it a hunch. Took six years to be proven right.

Divney is correct in saying some fans were way ahead of the curve.

INtercourse had a good observation as well.....fighting over "Stephanie Seymour ballads" and 10+ years later, an album containing such songs was released.

Early on in the CD saga Axl made some comment about hoping after Dylan(Seymour's son) heard the album. he would "understand". He never mentioned this again and it was a missed opportunity in the forum chats not to ask him about that comment.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Re: Quote Hunt

Ragnar wrote:

Yes because this Dylan kid will take a side of someone who his mother claims to this day abused her. What a delusional man Axl is. I hope for his own sake he has moved on from this chapter of his life which seems to have hindered his creativity.

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB