You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Official band pic

monkeychow wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

Still, Robin was n`t half as bad as DJ. Dude ( I mean DJ ) can not improvise to save his life, always resorts to tremolo picking and does shortcuts of solos he can not play. I still stand by my statement he blows, Slash slaughters him even with one hand tied behind his back.

Slash slaughters both of them to me.

I really find the 2001-2 boots of Robin shocking, he was much better by 2006 - but in 2002 he really either had less chops or just outright didn't seem to know how the songs go or something.

Wagszilla wrote:

Robin called Buckethead a stunt solo artist or something like that, which is cynical but still pretty accurate from what we've heard.

That's exactly the problem. Watch the rio DVD and there's times bucket is literally standing on stage doing nothing or playing an open D chord or something. Then it gets to a 10 second solo break in a song and he does an antonal run or a killswitch stunt or one of his other tricks. It reduces him to a stunt - it would have been much better if he played each and every solo - like with the 2 guitar model - then he would really have a chance to show what he brings other than tricks.

Same thing for bumble as we he joined the solos are already divided up and he mostly just took over bucket but seemed to claw back some from DJ when robin left.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

monkeychow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Question, is Axlin16 and Randal Flagg the same person or do they just have similar posting style?

Randal is a bad ass navy seal type guy with crazy skills, sort of like Steven Segal in Under Siege but with a more all-american feel. Maybe Jessie Venture with out the conspiracy issues.

haha, while I wish that were true, it's most certainly not.  I'm probably a good 30 pounds overweight and am probably more of a glorified Geek Squad member than anything like Segal in Under Siege.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Question, is Axlin16 and Randal Flagg the same person or do they just have similar posting style?

Randal is a bad ass navy seal type guy with crazy skills, sort of like Steven Segal in Under Siege but with a more all-american feel. Maybe Jessie Venture with out the conspiracy issues.

haha, while I wish that were true, it's most certainly not.  I'm probably a good 30 pounds overweight and am probably more of a glorified Geek Squad member than anything like Segal in Under Siege.

Haha, Segal was a badass back in the day.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Robin called Buckethead a stunt solo artist or something like that, which is cynical but still pretty accurate from what we've heard.

That's exactly the problem. Watch the rio DVD and there's times bucket is literally standing on stage doing nothing or playing an open D chord or something.

I must concede the point because the three guitarists approach did generally not work. That and my days of hardcore GN'R fandom are behind me and I am by no means a music expert.

I just remember 2002 being largely carried by Buckethead and Pitman. Him and Robin did trade duties but I thought there was a relatively clear delineation of duties there. Also I can't think of a Richard Fortus moment for the life of me. Then in 2006 it was much more clearly a three headed monster.

Whatever. Neither band exists anymore. Onwards and upwards, hopefully.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I think once robin left bumble and richard took the chance to balance out the solos a bit more. DJ still had plenty - but Richard seemed to get more than he had before, and bumble picked up the harder parts to play.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I can't even decide if Melissa is hot or not.  Part of the reason for that is I haven't really done any research on it because it doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things. 

I'm in the camp that doesn't even think Dizzy is necessary, though I can live with him.  Having said that, I'll take her over Pitman.  She seems genuine.  I saw her dancing like she does even in the soundcheck, so it's not like she is pulling a DJ or something...that just seems to be who she is and how she feels the music.  I can respect that.  Her vocals are good.  At least she serves a purpose.  So she plays keys that you can't hear anyway on songs with no keys.  Who cares?

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

So she plays keys that you can't hear anyway on songs with no keys.  Who cares?

I can live with it, but it is sort of odd to have her so prominent (relative to Dizzy) both on stage and in the picture. She's the intern not the Steve Jobs of this operation to most of us.

But then again...there's definitely been worse problems over the years 16

The $1,000,000 question for the band really is will they release a new album or is this just a victory lap?

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

The $1,000,000 question for the band really is will they release a new album or is this just a victory lap?

My guess is that if an album were to be released then it would be the most conservative CD II remaining cuts combined with new songs.

I wonder if Axl would ever considering rebranding the CD II material under a new band and rejoining with Robin and/or Buckethead or if it's too late in the game and he doesn't care anymore. Maybe he could leverage a new Slash/Duff album with the record company and have them sell back the rights to the CD material.

Considering the past history of the band when it comes to releasing music, that their massively successful monkey-making tour hardly provides for good songwriting fodder, and the lack of financial incentive to release new music, I would consider it highly unlikely we ever see a new Guns N' Roses album. I really hope I'm wrong.

To the contrary, Axl seems happy and motivated and has mentioned wanting to release more GNR music. So there's that.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Buckethead was the new Slash. He's the guy that everyone knew, attracted you to (New) Guns N' Roses, and delivered killer solos.

Buckethead could've been the new Slash. He had a unique character that stood out. He was not utilized properly. The 3 guitarist concept ruined any chance of him becoming the star player on stage and then factor in the fact that not one single band promo pic came out while he was in the band.

Had it just been Bucket and Tobias(which it would've been had Finck not jumped back in at the last second), Bucket and Finck, or Bucket and Fortus, and actual music gets released and the lineup promoted, Axl would've had his Slash replacement.

It just didn't work out.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Buckethead was the new Slash. He's the guy that everyone knew, attracted you to (New) Guns N' Roses, and delivered killer solos.

Buckethead could've been the new Slash. He had a unique character that stood out. He was not utilized properly. The 3 guitarist concept ruined any chance of him becoming the star player on stage and then factor in the fact that not one single band promo pic came out while he was in the band.

Had it just been Bucket and Tobias(which it would've been had Finck not jumped back in at the last second), Bucket and Finck, or Bucket and Fortus, and actual music gets released and the lineup promoted, Axl would've had his Slash replacement.

It just didn't work out.

There is no way you replace Slash. Not possible. Buckethead is extremely talented, but his media persona is a problem. Slash had the iconic guitar riffs/solos and he was friendly to the fans and media. He did a lot of heavy lifting with Duff and Matt during the Illusion tour while Axl was turning into a recluse with each passing day.

Buckethead doesn't even speak. How can you expect a guy like that to replace someone with the media presence of Slash? And then to make matters worse, Axl was even more of a recluse by the time Buckethead was in the band. Not a good combination for public relations.

Board footer