You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: The Feud

Smoking Guns wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Don't confuse profits with Costs. Maybe Axl is paying all that shit and he likely told them "guys, it costs me $1,000,000 per show for over head that includes Melissa, Frank, Fortus, Dizzy, after that is paid we split shit 50-25-25". No way Axl takes on all that shit with no risk on Slash and Duff.

I could easily see Slash and Duff's lawyers negotiating for that type of arrangement. They pay for their individual guitar tech and equipment. "GNR" pays for everything else including the stage crew. Ultimately they each come out with a similar profit at the end of the day.

Maybe so!!

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

I still haven't seen the source for the 50-25-25 arrangement.

Does anyone have it?

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I still haven't seen the source for the 50-25-25 arrangement.

Does anyone have it?

Some dude on MYGNR who supposedly had connections to the various managers. He did seem to have good info because he was reporting on certain tour dates before they were announced.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Brett wrote:

(ALSO: Does anyone have anything to expand on the quote about Slash popping out Axl's tape and wanting Axl to be in his band, but Axl didn't want to be in his band. I assume this relates to the IP of the name of the band, not physically in a band with Slash?)

That could be Tidus Sloan, the instrumental band Slash played with in '81-'83. They never found a singer.

In 1983, Tracii Guns introduced Chris Weber to a friend of his, Izzy Stradlin. Weber and Izzy hit off and start writing music. Izzy suggests his old Lafayette chum / garage band singer, Bill Rose, as the vocalist. Bill was just coming off Rapidfire, his first serious effort to front a band in LA.

The group lacked a name. Bill suggested AXL, and they went with it for a while. Then, Bill thought the name was cool and adopted it as his stage name. Conveniently, the band was then named Rose. Now, Bill was Axl and AXL was Rose. They blew it up to Hollywood Rose and stuck with it.

While this is going on, Slash and Steven are in a band called Road Crew, doing some UK shows to boot. Slash would join a band called Black Sheep with vocalist Willie Basse, who apparently had a knack for picking up promising guitarists.

During a show in 1984, Axl collides with the headstock of Weber's guitar. Furious, Axl fires Weber. To substitute, Axl'd hire the guitar player from Road Crew, Slash. Izzy was so flustered about Weber that he left the group as Slash came in. Riding his coattails, Steven also joined the band at this point, replacing drummer Johnny Kreis.

This is one possibility wherein Slash could've showed off a Tidus Sloan tape. If so, he would've known already that they could do better together than Hollywood Rose.

That lasted for a few months. His second time around as a frontman, Axl had alienated the other founding members and taken the band name for himself. 'Where's Izzy?' was already a relevant question. The band calls it a day after opening for the Christian metal band, Stryper. Slash performed double-duty that night, also appearing with Black Sheep.

About a month later, Axl re-emerges as the new vocalist of LA Guns, which also featured Tracii Guns, Ole Belch and Rob Gardner. Izzy's new band, London, plays on the same bill. Cue New Year's Eve 1985. Axl resurrects Hollywood Rose with Izzy and Weber, Slash's HR-era bassist Steve Darrow and LA Guns drummer Gardner.

Weber moves to New York City, leaving the band perhaps more amicably this time around. He is soon replaced by Tracii Guns. With a sleight of hand, Axl has made amends towards Weber and Izzy - and lured his LA Guns employer into his own band.

In early '85, Road Crew were auditioning for players. One day, two Seattle punks walked in, Gregg Gilmore and Duff McKagan. Gilmore would return to Seattle after a few rehearsals, but Duff stuck around. The backbone of AFD were getting along.

Meanwhle, Axl's Hollywood Rose project is moulding up. He'd later insist he had the new name at the back of his head before hooking up with the others. Tracii recalls the story differently: Axl was about to be fired by the manager of LA Guns. He and Tracii came up with the new name as way to put out singles together.

In any case, it does look like a mesh of his and Tracii's names, signalling a balance of power between the two. Having said that, Guns N' Roses makes for an impressive band name. At least, moreso than Heads of Amazon or AIDS.

Steven Darrow has by now been replaced by LA Guns bassist Ole Belch. The lineup is essentially the latest LA Guns incarnation with Izzy. They last for about four shows in March-April '85. At this point, Belch was fired. He was replaced by that Road Crew bassist, Duff.

In the following month, Tracii Guns would miss a rehearsal and get into an argument with Axl. Tracii leaves the band. To substitute, Axl'd hire the guitar player from Road Crew, Slash. Riding his coattails, Steven also joined the band at this point, replacing drummer Rob Gardner.

Axl's detour with LA Guns had now been all but erased. Slash had picked Guns over his other band, Black Sheep. He was saving Axl's band the second time in a row.  But Axl would always be wary around his lead guitarists.

Apollo
 Rep: 1 

Apollo wrote:

Are Duff and Slash back in Guns n Roses full time now? Or are they just there for this tour? That would make a difference to how much they are paid.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Back full time far as we know.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

I think a few of you are spot on about Axl paying for the tour out of his 50%,  there could be other side deals going on merc etc. also.
If you think about it, its the best deal for them all...Axl stays in control, GNR is still his but his headache to manage (which would explain Matt's absence and Stephen's limited show), Slash & Duff get huge pay for raising the profile of GNR again - the merc deals they are on must be sweet too.
Everybody saves face.

For me its the love Axl has in his eyes for his old mates that blows my mind..whatever was bothering him about Slash is dead and gone. Axl always said the apology from Slash would have to be public, yet nothing has been said by either man.

I'm guessing  that both men found out about the real hurt they caused each other on a personal level in their war, had a period of reflection which brought remorse and enlightenment and a mutual agreement to whole heartedly bury the whole thing between them and not sell that to the world to interfere with.

Either way, both men are obviously really happy and so is everybody that rubs up against them. My last prayer is for a sprawling double / triple album with whatever is in each man's musical heart spilled out for me to spend years listening to.  If I don't get that, one last look at them together on stage (which I last saw in Mannheim in 1991) will do.
Amen

Scarlett
 Rep: 2 

Scarlett wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I agree. Slash wanted GNR back on top and if that meant falling on the sword and taking all the blame so Axl could feel like Slash as in the wrong and he was right so be it. Slash doesn't give a fuck about that. He did what it took to get GNR back to the top. Thing is Slash deserves the 50% more than Axl by far. The ONLY reason this shit is big is because of Slash. Really ironic when you think about it.

When you say "the only reason this shit is big is because of Slash" what do you mean?

If you're saying slash made GNR by himself....I think you're in the minority.

I am saying this tour with no Slash would be a small arena tour at best. Slash brought the crowd.

No my friend. I saw Axl play in arenas, never saw Slash in any around here. I wonder why?

they are playing in big venues because AXL AND SLASH REUNITED. Period.

I love the both of them, and am so happy they have finally reunited.

My son bought tickets for hubby and I and himself as Mother's and Father's Days gifts. Day before the concert at Fox Stadium, I took a bad tumble and broke two toes and had a massive cut from my knee cap to my ankle. I didn't get to see the boys play, it literally broke my heart into a billion pieces. How happy I was when my son gave us the tickets. My dream came true......well, almost. The dream was to see them play together again- they are playing together, and I for one an truly grateful.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Damn Scarlett. That really sucks. So close......yet so far away. sad

I missed out on the Frisco show due to my health scare. Major bummer. I almost risked it but didn't want to be in the middle of a massive stadium crowd if god forbid I had some emergency.

Everyone who missed them this first go around will god willing have another chance. They will more than likely hit the US again next year. If I'm alive and healthy, definitely not missing that one.

Its great to see you back. 5

Scarlett
 Rep: 2 

Scarlett wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Damn Scarlett. That really sucks. So close......yet so far away. sad

I missed out on the Frisco show due to my health scare. Major bummer. I almost risked it but didn't want to be in the middle of a massive stadium crowd if god forbid I had some emergency.

Everyone who missed them this first go around will god willing have another chance. They will more than likely hit the US again next year. If I'm alive and healthy, definitely not missing that one.

Its great to see you back. 5

Awe, it's great to be back my friend. 5

How are you doing? We need to catch up. Are you ok? I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

God I hope we can see them play in the future together! Both you and I have been like little kids,  wishing and hoping all this time that it would happen. My poor son was so devastated that I couldn't go, and promised me if they came around again, he'd get more tickets. I think you might remember that it was on his birthday, that we saw GNR come on the stage at midnight- he was in awe of it, that he turned 13 while Axl came on stage, a memory he holds close to his heart today. Breaks my heart that I missed the show, keeping fingers crossed we get our chance soon, my friend!

Board footer