You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: My grandma died

James wrote:

I've talked about her off and on over the years here and the old site. She was the 'rock' of our family.  Its devastating. A couple weeks ago her health went into a quick, steep decline. She was in the hospital but they couldn't figure out exactly what was wrong with her. Her white blood cell count was off the charts. They considered doing a procedure to test her bone marrow but its extremely painful and they doubted she would even survive the procedure. She wanted to just come home so her wish was granted. She died a couple days later. Thankfully she was in no pain and died peacefully.

Some of you might remember back in 2011 she had a heart attack and during the bypass operation, suffered a massive stroke. She was a fighter.....strong as a bull. She recovered slowly and while disabled, could get around a bit and still talk our heads off. The past few years she loved watching Andy Griffith....watched it daily. I understand why....it took her back to a more innocent time.

I always loved watching news with her. I also loved debating politics with her. She was a huge Clinton fan and me and her could go several rounds over those two. Any time we'd get into Reagan-Carter discussions, she'd always call Carter "peanut". 16 Any time there was a bad news story(which was often), she'd say "the devil is on the loose...". That quickly became part of my vocabulary.

I've always had a dark/quirky sense of humor and she's one of the few who liked my 'jokes'.

One of my favorite memories of her is when I took her to Six Flags Marine World in 98. She had never rode any rides in her life. She wound up riding some, including that huge boat that slides down into the water. Didn't know how she'd handle that one but she was laughing as we went down.

On the GNR front.....not a big fan obviously(I can still hear her in my youth saying "turn that down!") but she knew of me running a GNR forum for years and everyone in the family associates GNR with me. Before CD came out, once in a blue moon she'd ask, "Did that music you were waiting for come out?" She didn't remember the name(probably didn't care either) but thought it was funny how even she would ask about the status of the album.

She was more like a second mother to me. It's surreal that she is gone.

My family set up a gofundme page a few days ago. My family uses social media so other than that, I am the only one with an actual online presence so figured I would post a link to it. I've never used gofundme or any of those types of sites but I assume if anyone here can donate, it can be anonymously.

https://www.gofundme.com/2qzbmkn8

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Sorry to hear that dude.

She sounds like quite the character.

Make sure you surround yourself with friends and us miscreants here on the forums. tongue

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

That's sad. RIP sad

Thoughts for you james.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Very sorry to hear of your loss Lofton. Your grandmother sounds like a really special person...

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Ah, man, so sorry to hear. My prayers are with you.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

So sorry man. Knew how close you were.

RIP.

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:

I remember reading your stories about her.
She seemed like an awesome human.
I am so sorry James

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Sorry to hear your news James. Hope you're doing ok.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Sorry James

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Sorry, man.

Board footer