You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Re: Izzy tweet about Axl and Duff interview

Ragnar wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

You guys make valid points but I can't feel great with this "it's just business" approach.
That's exactly my point - it clearly is just all about business and a cash grab, so I guess we can all acknowledge that.

Just a shame that the principal songwriter, founding member and soul of the band isn't part of it because they wanted to split an absolute fortune 3 ways instead of 4. I always thought Guns represented something different than commerce. From a music/art, legacy and 'band of brother's/shared history sense, it is a shame for me. But perhaps I'm too much of a romantic and should just enjoy this solely for what it is - a massive, last chance saloon cash grab feeding off the 30-40 set who never saw them in their heyday.

I also find the "Izzy is a flake" apologism laughable - look at the output of 'Guns N' Roses' since his departure? He bailed on a bunch of barely functioning drug addicts, alcoholics and a raging megalomaniac out of touch with reality in 91 who was trying and succeeding in minimising his involvement in the band more and more. You can chart a very clear trajectory of pre-GNR Sucking and post with Izzys presence and departure.

It was always about money and business since day one yet, most of you have fooled yourselves into believing they were "equals". " band of brothers", " gang". "family " or what other bullshit you all have invented.

Personally, I would trade Duff for Izzy any day but I can understand why Axl and Slash are reluctant to let him back in partnership and give equal cut. Izzy does n`t want to commit, he just wants to roll out and strum unplugged guitar whenever he wants to.

No, Izzy was n`t a principal songwriter, I find his songs to be bland and mediocre, for me his songs are fillers, at the bottom of band`s discography. They did n`t release anything without Izzy because Axl and Slash were at each other`s throats, neither compromised not because Izzy was n`t there to write songs for them.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

It was absolutely about money from Day 1. Go look at the history of the Sunset Strip. All 5 guys jumped around to a bunch of different bands trying to find one that could be financially successful.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

No, Izzy was n`t a principal songwriter, I find his songs to be bland and mediocre , for me his songs are fillers, at the bottom of band`s discography. They did n`t release anything without Izzy because Axl and Slash were at each other`s throats, neither compromised not because Izzy was n`t there to write songs for them.

This! Also, Izzy's discography post-GNR is by far the worst of all former core members of the original band. I do think Izzy's presence was important to the band in a very big way, but I'm thinking he was more of a factor in balancing out some of the other personalities in the band.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Disagree his post GNR discography is the worst - quite the opposite in fact, however that will be forever a subjective point.

You can re-write history to big up the Axl/Slash theory of songwriting all you want - Izzy bought the bare bones and the others worked the magic off of it. His sense of Stonesy, bluesy timing and sensibility was absolutely crucial to their sound and once he left it was never the same. Amazes me the revisionism of some fans in that regard but i guess we all see things differently

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

Disagree his post GNR discography is the worst - quite the opposite in fact, however that will be forever a subjective point.

You can re-write history to big up the Axl/Slash theory of songwriting all you want - Izzy bought the bare bones and the others worked the magic off of it. His sense of Stonesy, bluesy timing and sensibility was absolutely crucial to their sound and once he left it was never the same. Amazes me the revisionism of some fans in that regard but i guess we all see things differently

He did not write the main riffs on songs like Jungle, Child, or Paradise City. These particular songs were written based on Slash's riffs. It's revisionist history to say Izzy came up with those big guns that the general public most associates with this band. Axl is most responsible for the lyrics and vocal melodies of those songs. The band would be a little cult band if Sweet Child didn't blow up the way it did.

johndivney wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

It was absolutely about money from Day 1. Go look at the history of the Sunset Strip. All 5 guys jumped around to a bunch of different bands trying to find one that could be financially successful.

This. Greed & bitterness have been part of what's fuelled it.
+ it wouldn't be a reunion without some acrimony.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Riffs are not everything my friend - yes they were hugely important to the big Guns sound. Izzy laid the foundation through his bare bones playing that those songs sprung forth from. I am in no way minimising Axl and Slash in terms of their criticality to the sound of classic Guns - I am just saying Izzy was critical also, and to overlook that contribution is to dismiss and overlook a very critical part of their sound - hence it is disappointing he is being excluded from this due to what amounts to nothing more than greed

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

For the love of god, I will never understand why some people call Izzy`s post GNR stuff, which is mostly bland and unininspired, generic Rock with few boring acoustic numbers thrown in, amazing, I never will but hey, to each his own I guess.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

Riffs are not everything my friend - yes they were hugely important to the big Guns sound. Izzy laid the foundation through his bare bones playing that those songs sprung forth from. I am in no way minimising Axl and Slash in terms of their criticality to the sound of classic Guns - I am just saying Izzy was critical also, and to overlook that contribution is to dismiss and overlook a very critical part of their sound - hence it is disappointing he is being excluded from this due to what amounts to nothing more than greed

You called Izzy THE principal songwriter. That is going over the top in my opinion. If Izzy was THE principal songwriter (like Nikki Sixx in Motley Crue), we would have ended up with a cult band no doubt about it. Maybe that would have been a good thing and they would have had a lot more longevity. We sure as shit would not have this stadium tour going on right now with all the money-grab stuff involved.

They are all important in the songwriting process. People don't even like to give Adler his due credit, yet we had entire threads on the GN'R forums this summer bitching about how Frank plays way too fast and ruins the tempo of the songs. The Appetite 5 created magic together, but ultimately the current situation is the way it has to be for business reasons.

johndivney wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

He did not write the main riffs on songs like Jungle, Child, or Paradise City. These particular songs were written based on Slash's riffs. It's revisionist history to say Izzy came up with those big guns that the general public most associates with this band. Axl is most responsible for the lyrics and vocal melodies of those songs. The band would be a little cult band if Sweet Child didn't blow up the way it did.

When did we start keeping score by the hits, or what the general public most associates with? Not getting at you tejastech, I've seen other people say this as well. It's just, we're here because we love all the records and songs & know the value of them. So when you're saying that PC is more valuable than say Coma, well that doesn't really cut it in these parts: it's the tunes that matter, not the amount of cash the song makes.

Look at it this way, would you be a fan if there had been only Jungle, SCOM & PC on AFD? There must be more to it than that to have kept you a fan for fuckin however many number of years? Izzy's contributions must've played some part in that.

There'd have been absolutely nothing wrong had they just been a cult band. We'd still have had the tunes, that's all that matters.

Board footer