You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: US Politics Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:

Do you guys prefer this map?

http://i0.wp.com/metrocosm.com/wp-conte … ty-map.png

And ID, THEIR VOTE DOES COUNT, NY and California both went for HRC.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Only 28 Americans came to Canada as "Trump refugees"

Before the election, plenty of celebrities—and average, everyday Hillary Clinton voters—pledged to pack their bags and take off for Canada if Donald Trump won.

But since that fateful day, more than a month ago, Canada’s immigration services department has received only 28 requests for Trump-related refugee status. And none appear to have come from Hollywood, despite the large number of celebs who threatened to cross the northern border is Trump became president.

Canadian officials say that there was a “bump” in requests for refugee status following Trump’s election—or, at least, that there seemed to be a bump in November, which immigration lawyers attribute to the political change.

“The rhetoric coming from the (U.S. political) discussion… was filled with a lot of concerning language, including hate, exclusion, deportation,” one Canadian immigration lawyer told Canadian state news. “I could see why people would be concerned for their own safety, their own lives, and evaluate whether they could live (there).”

Of the 28 who applied, it’s possible none will be approved to relocate to America’s northern neighbor. The CBC found only two successful claims for asylum out of hundreds of cases filed from the U.S. since 2010. There was no successful claim out of the 170 filed in 2015.

If you aren’t fleeing an unjust war, or fleeing actual threat of death, Canada is likely to decline your request. If you’re not applying as a refugee, the Canadian legal immigration process can take about a decade to navigate.

As for whether any Hollywood celebrities are among the 28 asylum seekers, the Canadian government won’t say, since refugee applications are private. But the 18 celebrities who threatened to move to Canada appear to have stayed put, even under the threat of a Trump Administration. Bryan Cranston, Lena Dunham, Amy Schumer, Barbara Streisand, Miley Cyrus, Raven-Symone, Neve Campbell and Chloe Sevigny all seem to still call America home.

Several, including Cranston, Schumer and Dunham, have now said they were “merely joking”—to the great disappointment of millions of Americans.

http://heatst.com/politics/canada-says- … ign=buffer

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Several, including Cranston, Schumer and Dunham, have now said they were “merely joking”—to the great disappointment of millions of Americans.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

States should not be voting, the people should. You know as well as I do a a lot of Democrats and center left independents in Alabama and Tennessee don't vote specifically because their votes don't mean shit. Election day sucks for me.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

States should not be voting, the people should. You know as well as I do a a lot of Democrats and center left independents in Alabama and Tennessee don't vote specifically because their votes don't mean shit. Election day sucks for me.

I'm sure every republican in California and ny voted though, right ID?  The level of ignorance should be stunning, but sadly it isn't. More than a month later and you're still not even making an effort to understand why what happened actually happened and are wasting all this energy on how stupid anyone that voted for trump is. Ironic if you stop to think about it, but stopping to think about things isn't really a liberal strong point.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

And you don't think that's true of republicans in NY or CA?  The rules are based on the EC, so the candidates campaigned based on the EC.  If the popular vote was how they handled the election, both Trump and Clinton would have campaigned differently.  And yes ID, admitting millions of Hispanics and giving citizenship to their children is how California went from Reagan to solid blue.  Or are we supposed to be ok with the left desiring millions of unskilled laborers dropping off babies so they can't be deported.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I'm sure every republican in California and ny voted though, right ID?  The level of ignorance should be stunning, but sadly it isn't. More than a month later and you're still not even making an effort to understand why what happened actually happened and are wasting all this energy on how stupid anyone that voted for trump is. Ironic if you stop to think about it, but stopping to think about things isn't really a liberal strong point.

You've been saying that since the election, as though there's some profound epiphany we are all supposed to have about Donald Trump being president. What is there to understand? It's not rocket science. People like charismatic people no matter how substance-less they are.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

And you don't think that's true of republicans in NY or CA?  The rules are based on the EC, so the candidates campaigned based on the EC.  If the popular vote was how they handled the election, both Trump and Clinton would have campaigned differently.  And yes ID, admitting millions of Hispanics and giving citizenship to their children is how California went from Reagan to solid blue.  Or are we supposed to be ok with the left desiring millions of unskilled laborers dropping off babies so they can't be deported.

Dropping off babies?

At the end of the day, I find it ironic that a free-market capitalist is pissed about somebody who is willing to do it cheaper and better.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
misterID wrote:

Dropping off babies?

At the end of the day, I find it ironic that a free-market capitalist is pissed about somebody who is willing to do it cheaper and better.

It has nothing to do with their wage and the fact something like 70%+ of illegal immigrants are reliant on welfare via their anchor baby.  They don't speak english, so their kids fucks up the class room for everyone else because the school has to hire an interpreter.  They're not paying payroll taxes and often live in large family settings, paying a lesser amount of property taxes, essentially getting a free education on citizens backs.  We don't owe non US Citizens the time of day, let alone an american standard of living.   

I could give two fucks about the color of their skin or what food they prefer.  I care that they adhere to our laws, contribute and adapt to our culture.  The DNC has removed speaking English as a requirement to amnesty/citizenship in their 2016 platform.  They're not doing what's in the best interest of America, but what is in the best interest of their party getting and keeping power.  Bring in all the immigrants you want so long as they're able to get work immediately and contribute to being an American.  I have no interests in bringing in poor foreigners who aren't interested in becoming American, only living under the comfort America provides.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

They don't speak english.....contribute and adapt to our culture... I have no interests in bringing in poor foreigners who aren't interested in becoming American, only living under the comfort America provides.

You're describing my ancestors when they first arrived....they didn't know english...

I think this is an old argument made by birthers made since the beginning of time. I think you need accept that people bringing their culture here changes our culture as much as it does theirs.

I care that they adhere to our laws

I think you care about the laws that only benefit you. No one here is arguing that they shouldn't pony up and pay their fair share in addition to following our laws...but illegals are here now. You can do one of two things: 1) you can ship them back to where they came from OR 2) you accept the ones that are here and find them a path to citizenship so they can start paying fair share and adhering to the laws.

I think in the end though, most conservatives don't want them to contribute....they just want them gone. Because there is one thing a conservative never wants...and that's change.

You said it yourself,

I care that they... adapt to our culture.

And I think there lies the most telling statement of all...it's your culture that you believe is superior and that everyone else should adhere to...I can only guess as to why...but this is exactly why the rest of the world finds Americans so annoying. Maybe because 'you were here first' or 'America is great at making money.' Whatever the case, this is exactly the aspect of American culture that I find repulsive. The hubris of the average American, the Khardashian culture, it's disturbing to me to see the lack of self-awareness that seems to be sense of pride of Americans.

Board footer