You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: Steven Adler Reddit AMA

mitchejw wrote:
johndivney wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Wait, I thought he did play on Civil War?

Him failing to record it properly was the tip on the weight scale to boot him out of the band. Maybe he doesn't even remember.

Adler is the drummer on Civil War.
Him shooting up Erin with a speedball was the tip on the scale 16

Tbh Matt's only real moment for me was YCBM. Other than that I miss Steven across the UYI's.
I quite like the direction they went with with Brain on CD, just there's not much of a groove to the songs.
The more time passes the more I appreciate Steven as an integral sound to what made them such a great band. I used to believe in that old classic rock review that Axl was the only irreplaceable member & you'd still have GnR but that's not true, either in sound or spirit.

In the end, Axl's sacrificed so much greatness for the sake of his own power trip.

I couldn't agree more...aldlers drumming on appetite was unique added something to the songs...where as Matt (other than YCBM and maybe NR) - matts drumming was just background noise to Axl and Slashs stuff on UYI -

Adler maybe didn't play as fast or as driving as Matt...listen to what he does at the beginning of RQ - so simple but so powerful...sets Slash and Izzy up to play simple power chords that somehow grow the song into a beast by - by the time slash rips in with that catchy litttle riff after the slow moving power chords somehow the vibe of the song goes from a coma to a shot of adrenaline.

Imho that who song is based on Stevens drumming....even in the middle where the song appears to transition into a new song....Steven plays a simple little drum beat that allows the song to change pace yet again and ever time i am in my car a hit the steering wheel and smile  to myself at how simplistic and how perfect it is for the song.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Steven is the lowest of the low.

Ragnar

Ragnar wrote:
johndivney wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Him failing to record it properly was the tip on the weight scale to boot him out of the band. Maybe he doesn't even remember.

Tbh Matt's only real moment for me was YCBM. Other than that I miss Steven across the UYI's.
I quite like the direction they went with with Brain on CD, just there's not much of a groove to the songs.
The more time passes the more I appreciate Steven as an integral sound to what made them such a great band. I used to believe in that old classic rock review that Axl was the only irreplaceable member & you'd still have GnR but that's not true, either in sound or spirit.

In the end, Axl's sacrificed so much greatness for the sake of his own power trip.

You must be kidding right ? without Axl GNR would be an ordinary 80`s band nothing more.

Axl`s vocals, songwriting skills and leadership elevated Guns` to another level and made them stand out not Steven fucking Adler.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Ragnar wrote:
johndivney wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

You must be kidding right ? without Axl GNR would be an ordinary 80`s band nothing more.

Axl`s vocals, songwriting skills and leadership elevated Guns` to another level and made them stand out not Steven fucking Adler.

I think his point was that he undervalued the other band members...

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
johndivney wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

He is, but only after about a hundred takes and the help of a skilled sound engineer to wove the bits and pieces together. Adler was really, really fucked up at that point. The Erin incident is probably what decided it for Axl, but for the rest of the band it was his inability to show up and work on the album.

To an extent he did, but I don't think that's what broke the band. He tried to keep Slash around for as long as he could for example.

Fear of not having control is what drove him to push the others away, and likewise the band's drug habit only accentuated those fears. He was furious when Izzy and Slash left him, because he knew how important they were.

Ragnar

Ragnar wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Ragnar wrote:
johndivney wrote:

I don`t know about that he seemed to value Slash and Izzy highly Duff to lesser extent as well.

I won`t hold against him if he did n`t value Steven. I would have killed him if I had been Axl, after overdosing Erin Everly with speedball.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Ragnar wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

I don`t know about that he seemed to value Slash and Izzy highly Duff to lesser extent as well.

I won`t hold against him if he did n`t value Steven. I would have killed him if I had been Axl, after overdosing Erin Everly with speedball.

I actually for some reason didn't know about the speedball thing...but uh...when you're around Gn'R you should be wary of drug intake...

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I can't speak with precision about drumming or music in general.

That said, Steven's style was very punky and raucous but I've seen other drummers, i.e. Brain give him props for his talent and the actual complexity to those songs. Maybe it was Freese. I can't recall. Sorum's style really benefitted the big soundscape epics of the Illusions records on the other hand. I'm sure Adler could've done nicely in places but drum solos notwithstanding, I like what Sorum brought to the table.

There's a similar schism with the Chinese era. Brain was undoubtedly the hip-hop style drummer which worked well on some tracks and synched well with Buckethead but the early material, namely the stuff that Freese was present for, lends itself to Freese and the Adler school of drumming.

I doubt Freese would return and Brain is essentially retired from drumming, which leaves us with Frank.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I guess I just found Adlers answer to 'Which UYI would you like to play?" being Civil War an odd answer. Wasn't questioning him getting kicked out or why.

As for the discussion, Sorum fit & enhanced some of UYI sound & track. Mostly YCBM imho. Some others, NR tho I'd have preferred a more raw sound like the demos. Estranged & Locomotive and some others.  Yesterday I feel he came back to the basics & Adler might have worked better on that song.

I read one time something like "Sorum had the rock but lost the roll Adler provided". I find that an apt description. In the end though, I can accept GnRs decision, it was likely at the breaking point where they had to do it. Funny tho, I had a thought last night, what if Sorum was not chosen for GnR, and they went with someone else. Then, this upstart band Pearl Jam, known on the west coast to cycle thru a variety of drummers including a former RHCP drummer, was in need. Would be funny if they auditioned the former The Cult drummer and if he entered in.  Thinking 'pfft, this'll nowhere" 16

Ragnar

Ragnar wrote:

Matt is a drum machine, he`s one dimensional and boring.

His style worked on some songs, Locomotive for instance, and did n`t on others.

Board footer