You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: US Politics Thread

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Abortion - legal at the federal level via Roe V. Wade.  States can make adjustments just as they can with firearms.  Unless you don't think states should be able to ban weapons they don't want.
Healthcare - Has always been a state issue, even your boy Obama's only contribution to this country in 8 years leaves it that way
Education - Has always been a state thing, but the federal government has some oversight via DOE.
Marijuana - illegal at the federal level, so fuck the feds for enforcing a law Congress (and Obama mind you) refused to do anything about.

Can you at least stay intellectually consistent?

Such an elitist you are indeed...

Wasn't prohibition a federal law? We were drinking more in the 20s than we are now...

You make no sense.  You just point out stupid shit that has nothing to do with the point being made.  Yes. prohibition was stupid.  No argument here.  What the hell does that have to do with it not being a law legally passed (in your example, a constitutional amendment was passed)?  If your argument is "we shouldn't follow laws we don't like", I can't respond to that, because it's infantile and not realistic.  We don't get to pick and choose the laws we follow, otherwise I'd have a body count into the quadruple digits by now.  So change the law, but don't make half hearted, lazy comparisons that have no real similarity.

I'll admit that a I do not know how to make the discrimination between a "law" and a "constitutional amendment"....but I think the point stands....whether or not prohibition was a law, or amendment, or both...it was selectively applied at both the state and federal level...

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

"Unpresidented"

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I watched Vice News last night. What a fantastic news show. They had 2 topics. Syria and cost of climate change.

Syria... wow, the areas controlled by the government are extremely nice. It is a secular state and still even today, much of it is beautiful. They have this one coastal town that would make San Destin blush. People out there soaking in the rays in paradise. The people there support Assad. They feel Western Media has it all wrong. Now, there are many literal "ghost towns" but the towns up and running are very modern and sophisticated. The locals in those town seem to support Assad very much. They don't like being judged by the outsiders. Like Russia, the govt monitors the media to make sure they keep the message correct. In Aleppo and other towns that have been destroyed there are some people still living there among the rubble.

Second topic was about global change. Started down in Miami and the rising ocean and how on a perfect sunny day there is mass flooding etc due to rising waters etc. so they are spending a lot of money to try and delay the inevitable. Much of Miami will be under water maybe in our lifetime if the polar ice caps keep melting. They they went up to Norway where an oil company is down no it the right way. They some how pump the CO2 under the ocean floor. They are one of the largest oil companies in the world. Also Exxon was way before everyone else on climate change and CO2 emissions. Their scientist have known the truth since the 70's. So they spent billions to fight legislation in Washington because they knew the truth.

Great show and probably a much watch. They don't seem biased AT ALL to me. They show both sides of everything.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Gay Marriage - leave it up to the states
Abortion - leave it up to the states
Healthcare - leave it up to the states
Education - leave it up to the states
Marijuana - Illegal on a National level and let's start cracking down on it.

Abortion - legal at the federal level via Roe V. Wade.  States can make adjustments just as they can with firearms.  Unless you don't think states should be able to ban weapons they don't want.
Healthcare - Has always been a state issue, even your boy Obama's only contribution to this country in 8 years leaves it that way
Education - Has always been a state thing, but the federal government has some oversight via DOE.
Marijuana - illegal at the federal level, so fuck the feds for enforcing a law Congress (and Obama mind you) refused to do anything about.

Can you at least stay intellectually consistent?

That's funny, Colorado & Oregon were doing great as is!  For the past 3-4 years.  Why the need for Government interference from Sessions all of the sudden?!!   What's the matter, the administration can't live up to the success of Obama?

It's like having a bad QB start 1-4 and get hurt (Bush), then a new QB come in and go 5-0.  When your original QB is back from injury, who you gonna go with, your first starter?  I think not.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

If your argument is "we shouldn't follow laws we don't like", I can't respond to that, because it's infantile and not realistic.  We don't get to pick and choose the laws we follow, otherwise I'd have a body count into the quadruple digits by now.  So change the law,

How bout this law, 1st Ammendment - Freedom of the Press?   

Trump sure as shit is trying to change that on his own.  And all the 2nd Ammendment nuts seem to be skipping over that one.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

NBC (and likely others) admitted they shared their info with CNN & the NYTimes.  Disgraceful what the administrations doing.

I still firmly believe Trump is going down on the Russia Communication charges. When the dossier first leaked I thought he was outraged over the pee tape part of the story.  Now I realize he's mad about the leak of the dosssier intel overall.  He knows he's been caught, and there's a storm brewing.  He thinks he'll get off just like he did when he was broke & filed bankruptcy. Only there's gonna be no solution for this, not even resigning unless the charges are light or not onto him but Flynn & Rapaport. 

One things for sure, I guarantee you this thing ends badly, and Trump doesn't make it 4 years.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Of the 3 prime time hour cable TV shows I find Greta, Matthews, and O'Rielly to be the most objective. Hannity, Hayes, Maddow, Anderson, and Lemon are all far right or far left unable to see the other side in most cases. That said Tucker Carlson's show is highly entertaining.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Thank god Perez won. That was too close for comfort. Smart move making Ellison his deputy. Keeps the Bernie crowd from going full retard on their own. They'll be good foot soldiers like the tea party was for the RNC.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Of the 3 I liked the young fella the best.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

I think I'm throwing my support behind Pete Buttigieg for DNC chair. Perez will most likely get it...

Nailed it!

It'll be interesting to see what changes

Board footer