You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: Steven Adler Reddit AMA

FlashFlood wrote:

I agree that his legacy as the guy who drummed on Appetite should not be bashed...but bashing his credibility is fair game as far as I'm concerned.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

I agree that his legacy as the guy who drummed on Appetite should not be bashed...but bashing his credibility is fair game as far as I'm concerned.

Hey at least he gives us something....

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Only Slash really wanted Adler there. And Duff was indifferent. So the only reason Adler was there at all in my mind was Slash.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

I`m sorry but I find all this white knighting for Steven both proposterous and ridiculous.

I can understand complaints about Izzy`s absence but Steven ? Steven fucking Adler ?..... give me a fucking break, he`s a waste of space, the lowest of the low, no one owes him anything, I would n`t allow him to play those two songs if I were Axl.

As for his contributions, they`re overblown and exaggerated, any 80`s drummer would have done what he did and difference would have been hardly noticeable, He was in the right place at the right time, nothing more.

You're being way too hard on him. For real.

That said, going back to the original article, I kinda like it. One thing I'm not sure was mentioned, if you do look at it a certain way, does it seem Guns did sortof give him a chance?

I mean, they brought him in to rehearsals on Day One!! To me there's a story right there, a story in that, part of the job was his to lose. Unfortunately for him he injured two vertebrae in his back & neck right away. I think that had to be sortof a telling moment to Axl, Slash & Duff that, this wasn't going to work. Drugs aside, Steven was a liability on too many levels, could he remain healthy, and could he keep up with the speed and timing?

I wonder if at first they did consider having him play alot of the earlier stuff.  It also seems apparent that maybe early on they talked about bringing Matt back to play the UYI and Axl pushed harder for Frank and Slash and Duff accepted, and that Sorum was never in the picture. So when Steven got hurt instead of having Frank as the UYI & backup QB for Steven, they just felt he was too much of a risk, and went all in on Frank.

Sucks he got hurt, we'll never know what was on their minds if he hadn't.

Every fucking chance was given to him in the world and he blew them all every single time.

He chose dope over the band. He`s a man child, talks and behaves like a fourteen year old. He wants back in and he thought the best way to increase his chances was rant and rave about it and annoy Axl even more. He is n`t the sharpest tool ( pun intended ) in the shed 14

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Makes you wonder if Axl even knew Adler was even rehearsing with Slash and Duff. Maybe Slash and Duff are to blame here for letting Adler think he had a shot at something he was never being considered for (outside a guest spot or two).

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I think Adler is the poster child for why Axl was obsessed with taking control of the ship.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Even if he did n`t injure his back I doubt he would be a full time drummer. Maybe few guest spots here and there that would be it. He simply can`t handle tour of this magnitude.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

I look at this a different way....

What would have been the purest and most fan orientated way to do this tour?

Answer: Bring Stephen, Izzy and Matt along. Celebrate the messy history of the band and play great gigs together to say thanks and celebrate the fact that millions of dollars are still being made by all.
It would have been true to history, a fan pleaser, good for karma etc.

Instead, Axl wanted to justify his CD band, just like he wanted to do at the RNRHOF.

Axl won this war; he still owns this band and he has the A list alumni back on his own terms.
In fact, he's done such a great job it would appear that Duff and Slash are enforcing his terms on guys like Stephen.

Well done Axl!!

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Axl won this war; he still owns this band and he has the A list alumni back on his own terms.
In fact, he's done such a great job it would appear that Duff and Slash are enforcing his terms on guys like Stephen.

Well done Axl!!

Of course Axl won the business side of it. That was guaranteed 20 years ago when Slash and Duff gave him control of the name. But at this point I don't think Slash and Duff care. This is just a big cash grab before they are too old to take advantage of the band's popularity.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

axl has slash on stage playing better and this i love like this life depended on it. he definitely won in that regard.

but the fans won more than anybody, imo. we finally got axl to release a record -- and then years later, we got a reunion. sure, both were botched in some degree, but imagine the alternative. we could have been subjected to 2 decades of dj ashba smoking virgiania slims w/ the afd jukebox cover band & no new music. we also just could have as easily could have had a record released with buckethead completed erased. somewhere, there's a bastardized version of cd with ron, frank, and ashba playing every track on the album. thank god we wound up in a universe where cd is basically a buckethead tribute album.

all in all, being a gnr fan is definitely a difficult gig, but when you put things in perspective, we got a pretty fair deal. the sex pistols only released one album, after all.

Board footer