You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The Wrestling thread

James wrote:

The Crockett Cup never came close to bombing that bad

They rented out the Superdome and sold a couple thousand tickets. It was a huge bomb. He smartened up a bit by moving the last two over to the east coast (and in arenas) but it was too little, too late. The idea was never taking off after the fiasco.

Crockett was in over his head and didn't know how to compete with Mcmahon.

As far as WM goes...if people are complaining about its length.....lengthening it isn't going to be the successful formula. Isn't WWE into a bunch of non-wrestling content now? Maybe start structuring it around some of those things....like movies for starters. Debut some of their movies during the WM extravaganza and have red carpet premiers while WM ticketholders get a sneak preview before release.

AtariLegend wrote:

WWE already have their own studio for films. I believe it runs up a yearly loss according to Observer. They make straight to DVD films co-starting random names in Hollywood (generally not those on the up and up) and they bomb.

Their film productions are a disaster financially, but they keep making them just to inflate their egos. The company makes an awful lot of money now through advertising revenue and other means in Wrestlemania season.

There's alot of non wrestling related content during Wrestlemania weekend. They make alot of money with it. Not going to be radical changes. The length of the show is just, because they can. Their's not really any downside for them and of all the things that'll get fans to abandon this company the length of their traditional highlight of the year won't make a difference.

The fanbase is very casual that watch every week, but the company is making more money than ever of hardcores that want more and more content.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fans-turn-ta … 39570.html

Thought you guys might like to see this...

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

My neighbor met Hulk Hogan. What's crazy is she posted it on her page (selfies), then a few days later a video appeared on Hulks FB page.  https://www.facebook.com/hulkhogan/vide … J0zYvAnnkI

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Just read Shawn Michaels is going to come out of retirement and he's supposed to be getting 58 million. That is insane. But I might start watching RAW again.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Just read Shawn Michaels is going to come out of retirement and he's supposed to be getting 58 million. That is insane. But I might start watching RAW again.

Have you seen him lately? I can’t even recognize him. Cut off his hair and looks super old....he’s not aging well.

Why can’t wwf create any new stars????

Jim Cornette has a theory that wrestling killed itself many years ago when they started exposing all of its own behind the scenes stuff.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Yeah, and what the hell happened to his eye?

HBK has the worst luck. He basically invented the attitude era, then missed that whole period when it was at its zenith. He decides to come back in the PG era. They decide to bring back DX and he finds Jesus, won't even say suck it. Then... He becomes a main event jobber.

I'd love to see the old asshole HBK come back. I need to get some DVDs.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Is WWE Smackdown coming to Fox?

Thats awesome. Havent watched wrestling in years but would serve as pretty good casual entertainment once in a while.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Jim Cornette has a theory that wrestling killed itself many years ago when they started exposing all of its own behind the scenes stuff.

That's not a theory...it's a fact.

Once they started the 'wink wink' to the audience in the late 90s,  it was never going to be the same again.

PotatoSalad
 Rep: 0 

PotatoSalad wrote:

Smackdown moves to Fox this Friday and apparently The Rock is going to be on, though probably not in a wrestling role.  I'll probably watch but I have mixed feelings.  I went from being a huge wrestling fan to really disliking the product to being indifferent.  Being indifferent may even be worse than hating it.  Fox has supposedly been having more input and has made efforts to really promote it.  Hopefully with less Vince McMahon involvement this will make things better, but I can't tell you how many times I was optimistic that wrestling was going to be better only to end up disappointed.

Board footer