You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: US Politics Thread

misterID wrote:

Pence, from his campaign website:

"Congress should support the reauthorization of the Ryan White Care Act only after completion of an audit to ensure that federal dollars were no longer being given to organizations that celebrate and encourage the types of behaviors that facilitate the spreading of the HIV virus. Resources should be directed toward those institutions which provide assistance to those seeking to change their sexual behavior."

Republicans can say they're not going to take away your healthcare, but replace your guaranteed healthcare you have with choice; allowing you more freedom to go out of state to seek better healthcare, but there's no guarantee you'll ever find healthcare coverage in another state. Just because they didn't outright state they were intentionally taking away your healthcare doesn't mean they aren't and that its not the goal, they are. You give up guaranteed coverage for the possibility of seeking out better healthcare with the possibility of not having any healthcare, especially if you don't meet the criteria of said insurance company.

You want exact wording and not the context or result. Republicans say they want people off healthcare, but specifically write a bill without that verbiage so they can deny it, but the context is the same. He doesn't have to say gay conversion, but we know what he's talking about. They're politicians, former lawyers, it's what they do.

Bigots don't like being called out as bigots.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

It's interesting to me that the Russian hackers didn't have the same influence on French voters as they did on our voters.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Pence, from his campaign website:

"Congress should support the reauthorization of the Ryan White Care Act only after completion of an audit to ensure that federal dollars were no longer being given to organizations that celebrate and encourage the types of behaviors that facilitate the spreading of the HIV virus. Resources should be directed toward those institutions which provide assistance to those seeking to change their sexual behavior."

Republicans can say they're not going to take away your healthcare, but replace your guaranteed healthcare you have with choice; allowing you more freedom to go out of state to seek better healthcare, but there's no guarantee you'll ever find healthcare coverage in another state. Just because they didn't outright state they were intentionally taking away your healthcare doesn't mean they aren't and that its not the goal, they are. You give up guaranteed coverage for the possibility of seeking out better healthcare with the possibility of not having any healthcare, especially if you don't meet the criteria of said insurance company.

You want exact wording and not the context or result. Republicans say they want people off healthcare, but specifically write a bill without that verbiage so they can deny it, but the context is the same. He doesn't have to say gay conversion, but we know what he's talking about. They're politicians, former lawyers, it's what they do.

Bigots don't like being called out as bigots.

You really nailed it with this...it's the slight of hand that Republicans have to engage in to win the argument. Every thing comes down to 'freedom' and 'liberty' and 'choice.' These are all really vague terms that have different definitions based on the day. They speak in such hyperbole that I think it's easy to forget what they actually mean.

Trump for instance has said repeatedly that everything will be bigger and better...healthcare, jobs....blah blah blah. He consistently has gone the super conservative route. If his healthcare thing passes, we all know exactly what he's going to do...he's going to lie right to your face again. He's going to say, 'I never said that!' The liberal media is twisting Trump's words again I guess...

I'd be a fool to say that Democratic politicians don't lie, massage facts, bend the truth...but right now it seems there is one political party that is concerned about health care...and another that is not concerned at all. The AHCA is not a healthcare bill, it's a tax bill...a giant tax deduction at that, as well.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

mitchejw wrote:

It's interesting to me that the Russian hackers didn't have the same influence on French voters as they did on our voters.

How  much influence did they have?  Republicans didn't give a shit about the Podesta leaks, that was all Bernie supporters.  Nothing came from that people didn't already know.   At some point, people are going to have to accept that Hillary never stopping in coal miner, steel worker and factory type towns, instead catering to BLM and the like cost her the election, not Russia.  Russia didn't make her avoid Wisconsin, Michigan or anywhere in PA outside of Philly.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

How  much influence did they have?  Republicans didn't give a shit about the Podesta leaks, that was all Bernie supporters.  Nothing came from that people didn't already know.   At some point, people are going to have to accept that Hillary never stopping in coal miner, steel worker and factory type towns, instead catering to BLM and the like cost her the election, not Russia.  Russia didn't make her avoid Wisconsin, Michigan or anywhere in PA outside of Philly.

Yes of course those things cost her too....as we've all stated repeatedly.

But isn't it interesting that Trump had the same number of votes as Romney had in Wisconsin and trump won the state.

But you lament people who use fake news sources and trump supporters are no strangers to fake news.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I still don't get how she catered to BLM. She had one meeting with them and it wasn't very friendly.

I agree she should have had a better campaign strategy, but the leaks hurt her with independent voters, which was strategic. She was also hurt by idiot Bernie voters who either didn't vote or went third party. I'm still blown away by those cunt Bernie surrogates who trashed her and encouraged people not to vote for her during the primaries, then demanded attention from her after she got the nomination. But the leaks did enough damage. Maron didn't have those issues.

But congrats to France.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I still don't get how she catered to BLM. She had one meeting with them and it wasn't very friendly.

I agree she should have had a better campaign strategy, but the leaks hurt her with independent voters, which was strategic. She was also hurt by idiot Bernie voters who either didn't vote or went third party. I'm still blown away by those cunt Bernie surrogates who trashed her and encouraged people not to vote for her during the primaries, then demanded attention from her after she got the nomination. But the leaks did enough damage. Maron didn't have those issues.

But congrats to France.

It's definitely misguided to think the hacking and fake news mattered to someone who was always voting for the republican no matter what...trump had those people from day 1.....it's all those people in Wisconsin who chose not to vote that may have been effected

misterID

misterID wrote:

Yep, apathy was a big factor. I'll always remember watching CNN and they were interviewing some hippy chick who was voting for leal marijuana, but refused to vote for Hillary because she felt too "icky" about it. The most infuriating thing is that I bet these were the same assholes who went out into the streets protesting Trump after the election.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

Btw was wondering if anyone thought the same about Colbert.....

While what he did was vulgar and profane and delicious to my ears...

What he did was...in a very public way show support for journalists who need all the support they can get right now...

He might actually take it on the chin too....Colbert that is...he's taking a bit of pressure off of them

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

They tried.

There is speculation that Macron may have been prepared for this:

Did Macron Outsmart Campaign Hackers?

While it's still too early to tell, so far the big document dump by hackers of the Macron campaign has not been damaging.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 … ia=desktop

Board footer