You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Axl Rose with Billy Joel Dodgers Stadium

James wrote:

I guess if Axl & Slash are alive, it could still work with all replacements, but at least do what The Eagles did. At least kick out one double album for one of the "big 'uns" pass away. I'm sure when The Eagles did "Last Road Out of Eden", they didn't know that Glenn would be dead in a few years.

A better Eagles comparison would be Hell Freezes Over. Unload a Not In This Lifetime album that is a concert with two new songs. Both new songs on HFO were hit singles.

GNR could easily whip up two new songs. You've got a brand new album with minimal effort. No one but hardcores would complain about only a couple new songs.

I agree, and Soundgarden are the best example. The dicking around cost another album with Cornell, when he was just blowing out material solo. Whether that was his or SG's choice or both, who knows.

Yeah it will always suck that they couldn't make the time to get that done. Cornell focused way too much on his solo career and Cameron had to juggle both SG and Pearl Jam.

These guys had five years to whip up another King Animal. Now all we're going to get is the remainder of the vault.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I guess if Axl & Slash are alive, it could still work with all replacements, but at least do what The Eagles did. At least kick out one double album for one of the "big 'uns" pass away. I'm sure when The Eagles did "Last Road Out of Eden", they didn't know that Glenn would be dead in a few years.

A better Eagles comparison would be Hell Freezes Over. Unload a Not In This Lifetime album that is a concert with two new songs. Both new songs on HFO were hit singles. .

I'd love new music but jesus christ not another live album.

What's going to be sonically different from that? No overdubs, The Seeker, and a vocally weaker Axl? Barf.

James

James wrote:

Not another live album?!? They've never even done a proper live album yet. Hell, we're still waiting for a proper compilation.

Hell Freezes Over was great. Solid tracklist too.

For shits and giggles I'll imagine a Not In This Lifetime album....

Atlas Shrugged
Unknown song
Jungle
ISE
Brownstone
DTJ
CD(not likely but possible)
NR
SCOM
OTGM
NT
CW
KOHD
Patience
PC

I would be perfectly happy with that....although I would hope its not the last official release.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

I'm not even an old band purist and I'd take dozens of shows over a NITL live album. And I still don't have much interest in that tbh. In the wilderness years those bones were picked clean.

I can't speak for the Eagles but the Stones remix their stuff, strip it down, and have guest collaborations.

Guns has been tremendously boring live from CD era to date.

It'd be like selling me highlights of Montana on the Chiefs.

James

James wrote:

It'd be like selling me highlights of Montana on the Chiefs.

I'd buy that. 14

Guns has been tremendously boring live from CD era to date.

I pretend that the Ashba era didn't exist. I threw in the towel when he was brought in and I knew we were getting nothing on his watch. I predicted that when we got the news, I was declared bat shit crazy, and look how it turned out.

I thought the early years of the CD era(2001-02) were great. They just needed an album to solidify that lineup for the general public. 2006-07 has some great performances spread throughout but once again....no album caused the public at large to not care very much.

Its different now.

What do you mean the bones were picked clean? There is a massive void in the discog from 93-present day. Live Era barely counts as its mainly Tokyo with a few bonuses, GH had no thought put into it and the band didn't even approve it, of course there's CD, and then that live release on Ashba's watch which I never bothered with.

In 2017 and beyond GNR still need a proper compilation that truly represents their body of work. Soundgarden had a GH album come out after the breakup that was just like GNR's(just its hits/singles). After the reunion we got Telephantasm and GNR needs to release theirs. After that, Soundgarden released a proper live album(Live on I-5) and GNR need one as well. After that, we got a new album.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

It's unfortunate because their most diverse and creative set lists were in the Ashba era.

The 2012 shows have a lot of good stuff. We got Dead Flowers, Acca Dacca, whenever those acoustic gigs were, more Chinese, Duff and Izzy, etc. Then we got that Appetite for Democracy turd instead of something halfway interesting.

I meant the fanbase tore the classic live stuff to shreds during the wilderness years. Wore the tapes out. They were but our only piece of driftwood to hold onto. Paris, Chicago, Tokyo. As I said before I think, I'm not even a classic band purist, but I've listened to all of those a cool several hundred times. All great shows from that era but have been released or bootlegged that it's marketable life has probably passed.

I'm not opposed to future live albums (even if I find a band that has 4.5 albums having 2 live albums a complete farce) but only if it's not on the Cover The 1990s Note-For-Note tour. In my ideal world they'd do shorter, more diverse sets and try to find a fountain of youth for Axl and then maybe release that. Right now it's a polished nostalgia gig and a lot of mothballs. Not my vibe, baby!

Actually, if I were Axl I'd go completely batshit and have a Robin Finck guest spot, bring Elton out for a duet a piano number, and release the Guns N Roses and Friends Spectacular. Something with a little verve and freshness.

Maybe round 2 will be better later this year.

James

James wrote:

It's unfortunate because their most diverse and creative set lists were in the Ashba era.

When I saw those set lists pop up, I said, "Dear Lord, why didn't he take this approach in 2001-02?"

We know his issues with the label. What he may not have understood is he had the upper hand. If he shows up at HOB and Rio with a CD heavy set list(imagine Better, IRS, ITW, TWAT, etc. at those shows), it puts pressure on the label to simply unload the album he was ready to release because he is giving it to the live crowds anyways and the media was reviewing those shows.

Instead he unwittingly plays into their hands. By focusing so much on AFD rehash as I used to call it while dangling a chinese carrot, it helps fuel the limbo the project was in and would be in for years to come.

Actually, if I were Axl I'd go completely batshit and have a Robin Finck guest spot, bring Elton out for a duet a piano number, and release the Guns N Roses and Friends Spectacular. Something with a little verve and freshness.

I am totally onboard with a special show like Metallica did a few years back that included everyone associated with the band over the years. Seems unlikely in this situation but with present day Axl, NOTHING can truly be ruled out.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

You can look at Axl as one of the biggest wastes of talent in the history of music...or you can look at the other side of it and feel lucky we ever got anything out of the guy. Considering his problems growing up and mental issues, it's sort of a miracle he didn't end up in permanent jail or dead before he ever recorded any song.

A good point, actually. If we've learned anything over the years, it's that Axl's sensitive like a flower. Give him too much leash and he'll disappear into his own arse, tinkering the songs into oblivion. That has tied into his inherent insecurity and the need to be "groundbreaking" in order to be an artist of merit. While the dilemma makes him more interesting than say, Sebastian Bach, it has also crippled any proper momentum, time and again.

James Lofton wrote:

I pretend that the Ashba era didn't exist. I threw in the towel when he was brought in and I knew we were getting nothing on his watch.

Ditto. Ashba is a tool, given his Slash-like image while in Guns, the social media grandstanding and whatever - what's more, he's a painfully mediocre guitarist, who slumped after a decent 2010 tour. Say what you like about Ron and Robin, but at least they were team players.

A lot of the things that have been said about Paul Huge could be attributed to Ashba, like having the "Guns attitude" before he set a foot on stage with Axl. I recall an excruciating and out of place Patience solo (shredding!), which dragged on and on, before Tommy walked over to Ashba. Homie actually stopped playing to hold back Tommy. The body language suggested he was afraid he'd be punched. Tommy laughed at his face. big_smile

James Lofton wrote:

When I saw those set lists pop up, I said, "Dear Lord, why didn't he take this approach in 2001-02?"

Fear and anxiety. Gotta sell the comeback tour without a new album. Performing the UYI epics brought back too many memories from the road, things he was unable to cope with prior to CD's release.

JasonRockwell
 Rep: 0 

Ragnar wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

It's nice to see Axl out there.

Reductive.

Billy Joel didn't invite Axl on stage because  he loved the Appetite suppresment effects of phentermine alternatives and for Democracy DVD...

You know exactly why Billy Joel did n`t invite Axl before, don`t you ?

I understand that this is an assumption, but I also think that it might be true. smile

hazelharis
 Rep: 0 

hazelharis wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Actually, if I were Axl I'd go completely batshit and have a Robin Finck guest spot, garcinia cambogia
bring Elton out for a duet a piano number, and release the Guns N Roses and Friends Paradise Spa Spectacular. Something with a little verve and freshness.

Maybe round 2 will be better later this year.

I am totally onboard with a special show like Metallica did a few years back that included everyone associated with the band over the years.

Board footer