You are not logged in. Please register or login.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

Re: Facebook Announcement

zombux wrote:

I commented at GNRTruth forum in a similar manner, that his vocals at BHS are horrible. got assaulted by crew, so I pulled out and deleted my account. looks like even HTGTH allows more criticism nowadays, lol!
and yes, his vocals sound totally destroyed lately. the last time he sounded great was probably 2010. and also at Axl/DC tour, which is embarassing. yes, I know that AC/DC songs demand completely different way to sing (or rather scream out), and he nailed it. on the contrary, his vocals at GNR tour are the main reason why I just can't listen to it, it hurts me a lot sad
the band has always been super tight, no matter if it was Robin/BBF, Ashba/BBF or Slash/Richard, the vocals are just full and tired Mickey, as much as I hate to say it, but it's true sad

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Zero crowd pop for TWAT at all there. I don't think his mid range has gone so much as adopting this Mickey falsetto voice for the higher stuff makes it more dificult to change registers mid song, which makes it sound low on power.

I like TWAT but I wouldn't mind if it was dropped from the setlist. It's a song he struggles with vocally, understandably, it's also the diamond of the CD era and perhaps should be left alone unless there's some bizarre CD era reunion one day. There's also clearly zero crowd appetite for it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I was excited for the return of TWAT because I love the song.

Sadly, Axl's voice is really destroyed on it.

The difference between the 2009 screams and what he did at Slane is drastic.

To me this is the reason why recording should be a priority. On his "on" nights - such as Houston Tx 2016 - and the Axl/Dc shows - Axl can still sound amazing - on the right songs etc - I believe this could be done in the studio too where they can fix any issues.

But I'm not sure his voice has another 5+ years to wait for them to get around to new music.

At least there's a few older songs like silkworms with old vocals ready to go. But they need to hit the studio and soon and capture what is left.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

My issue is that his voice is still 'there' he just doesn't choose to use it for GNR shows.

We were saying in 2013/14 that his voice had gone and yet in 2016 for the start of the reunion and AC/DC he sounded the best he has in years. Fast forward 7-8 months I don't believe his voice has suddenly gone he's just choosing not to use it. He's back in his falsetto comfort zone, which is no doubt easier and probably better for his voice, it just doesn't sound as good.

That said the reviews I've read in the media are all gushing towards the show. Assuming that was the general mood of the majority who attended then why change anything and perhaps risk blowing your voice to appease a few hundred on some messageboards?

johndivney wrote:

When I got back to the bus I said to my mate, "Slash fuckin butchered twat". My mate says, "they played twat?!" It's one of his favourite songs & if he couldn't recognise it doesn't hold out much hope for the majority of the crowd.

Tbh the complaints about Axl are somewhat justified. In his defence the sound was varied throughout the venue. I was beside sounddesk for most of the gig & while he was inconsistent, he was singing raw as fuck & it was really affecting actually.
I'd moved towards the exits after patience so got twat way up the hill. It was a disaster! The rest of the show was brilliant, patience was standout along with bhs.

I do agree they're playing at too fast a tempo. It has an impact where you're just bombarded with amazing songs, but all of those moments are over too fast!

Fuckin great gig.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Honestly thought the band sounded better on TWAT than they had. Slash missed a couple spots in the solo but I get the sense he genuinely appreciates the challenge of playing Bucket's parts. Robin's he had a lot more, ahem, leeway with.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Truly awful.

It's like a bad cover band. I'm going to listen to Machete to get this swill out of my ears.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

with the cornell tribute, twat getting played & prostitute being rehearsed... it sounds like the gunners are well aware they're going to have to bust out the big shit for this tour in order to keep audiences satisfied. hopefully, that leads to some deep illusion cuts getting some traction -- i'd love to hear you ain't the first, bad obsession, the garden, dead horse, breakdown, locomotive, etc.

hopefully the total non-reaction to twat doesn't scare them. if only they just dropped a damn video for that song; with any sort of promotion, i guarantee it could set venues ablaze. it's a shame that was the first time ever hearing the song for a majority of the audience.

really surprised we haven't heard i.r.s. yet. slash and duff could learn the song in 2 minutes and they'd fuckin' jam on it.

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

harmon420 wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

really surprised we haven't heard i.r.s. yet. slash and duff could learn the song in 2 minutes and they'd fuckin' jam on it.

I've been holding my breath to hear this lineup's take on I.R.S. Even if Axl is having a mickey type voice night, I still think it would sound pretty killer.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
harmon420 wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

I've been holding my breath to hear this lineup's take on I.R.S. Even if Axl is having a mickey type voice night, I still think it would sound pretty killer.

That's what I'm saying. IRS was the closest we got to an older guns sound on a rocker on CD. I just in vision it getting dirty and better.

Board footer