You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: L.A. Guns release new video "Speed"

James wrote:

Metallex...I'm pretty sure Jayne came out the year before NR. Just watched it though and you're right...it does have that vibe going for it.

Nikki Sixx impersonators? They're trying to imitate GNR. 16 That one guy is a dead ringer for Izzy in the Never Enough video.

I'm actually surprised in hindsight that the connection to GNR did not give them even more attention. It was in ALL the mags back in 87-89 about how GNR were just Hollywood Rose and LA Guns merged into one band. Even casual fans would've known the connection.

Mitch...I had forgot two more singles they had....

THis one is pretty good.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRjxUVsZu8k

here's the single/ballad from their debut album which supposedly rivaled AFD. 14

SG...I HATE Firehouse. One of the worst bands from that era.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

To each his own of course, but I find LA Guns dreadful. Typical 80`s Hair Metal trash.

I like some 80`s Rock. I think Tesla is the most underrated band from the era. They were unfairly lumped in shit basket, as their music is old fashioned Bluesy Hard/Rock Heavy Metal but LA Guns is the lowest of the low for me.

Guns` connection did n`t give them enough attention because they suck plain and simple. Tracii Guns thinks of himself as a great guitarist, he is n`t, he`s just a generic 80`s player nothing more. The funnier thing is, he thinks Guns` would have been a batter band with him 14 He wanted to rejoin the band after Slash left in 96 but Axl laughed at him 14

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

LA Guns were ok. If you didn't get into them I could see how they were sorta bad. I viewed them as a poor mans GnR.  Kinda bought C&L as a filler while waiting soo long for the UYI albums. Couldn't wait much longer. Ballad of Jaynes alright, a good 80s metal ballad. Not sure it holds up well or not, I think it does, for what it is.

Better bands were out there, Black Crowes, Tesla. Admittedly the music scene was already changing pre-Nirvana. Speaking of which, you forgot their final hit,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFCBuEvMDOc

I swear, I was watching MTV Spring Break or something & they were on in concert. They played about 30 seconds of Teen Spirit, as an homage, not mocking them, just knowing the crowd would dig it. They did and went nuts. I always sorta admired the band for acknowledging someone else better, bigger, and newer was out there. A humbling admission.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Wow, didn't think I'd ever find this. LA Guns playing the intro to Teen Spirit, respectively: (5:05 mark)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9ogNNgQ3fw&feature=youtu.be&t=5m4s

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Wow, didn't think I'd ever find this. LA Guns playing the intro to Teen Spirit, respectively: (5:05 mark)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9ogNNgQ3fw&feature=youtu.be&t=5m4s

[/embed]

GNR has also played the Smells Like Teen Spirit intro

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

GNR has also played the Smells Like Teen Spirit intro

When, recently, or spring of 92?

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I am somewhat of an LA Guns expert. I've got all their stuff in one format or another. It's interesting seeing the opinions in this thread vary so widely from mine. To me, they were the only band to stick with after grunge arrived. Their 1994 album Vicious Circle is freaking amazing if you ask me.

Let me get right to one point made earlier: I totally dig Phil Lewis' vocals, and I do think Tracii Guns is a pretty damn good guitar player. He's no Slash, but ...

They've put out albums every few years since the 2000s arrived, and they've been solid. Waking the Dead in 2002 might be their best stuff since Cocked and Loaded in 1989.

They've got new stuff coming out this year and just released an anthology with a lot of unreleased material.

Tracii Guns, it seems, is quite the douche, but we have Axl fronting our band, and he's the biggest dick around, so ....

As for being a typical hair metal band, I don't see it. They were way more punk on their debut than GNR and they consistently put out interesting music that doesn't fit the metal mold.

Like these gems.

At any rate, they've kept me interested for quite some time and at least they are still out there doing their thing. They must love to, because they ain't making any cash.

Board footer